Trigun: Functional Vash Revolver WIP

Acetone vapor would work if I had printed with ABS, but I used PLA because it warps less during printing and holds detail better than ABS does.

Plus, an acetone vapor would round out all the edges, which would destroy some of the finer electronics details up toward the front of the gun.

This is turning out nicely, though the cylinder looks a bit short. The elongated cylinder is part of the charm that makes it look so beefy.

This is turning out nicely, though the cylinder looks a bit short. The elongated cylinder is part of the charm that makes it look so beefy.

Now that you mention it, I see it too. Way to short for the cylinder. Easy fix, just push the break action farther away and extrude the cylinder, although it's probably too late now that he is sanding it.

-The Truth is Out There-

I originally thought this too, but I did the math on all of the highest-detail screenshots, and everything points to the cylinder being standard .45 colt length.
Some revolvers (the Taurus Raging Judge, for example) have longer cylinders to accommodate different sized bullets (the Raging Judge is made to also fire .410 shells, which are over half an inch longer than .45 colt cartridges), but since the bullets are all drawn flush with the front of the cylinder and all of my math ended up nearly exactly the length of a .45 colt round, I just decided to go with that length.
Plus, if you look closely in the final episode, you can see that originally both guns were exactly the same, cylinder and all. Apparently over the years Vash gets the cylinder and butt-cap changed out, which to me means they'd have to be a standard size. That might be getting a little too into it though.
To tell the truth, I actually cheated a bit and added 1/8" just to make it seem a little longer.

I chalked the size difference up to the classic '90s differences in the way each shot was drawn. The fact that the cylinder is inset into the top and bottom edges of the gun also makes the cylinder seem longer/thinner.

That having been said, I just learned that having a longer cylinder than the cartridge being fired doesn't really have any negative effect... I haven't started cleaning the cylinder or frame prints yet, so there's still a chance I might make them longer. I haven't decided yet.

Plus, if you look closely in the final episode, you can see that originally both guns were exactly the same, cylinder and all. Apparently over the years Vash gets the cylinder and butt-cap changed out, which to me means they'd have to be a standard size. That might be getting a little too into it though.

Vash's gun had the buttplate lanyard loop and the fluted cylinder in the first few episodes of the series. It's actually mentioned explicitly in episode 4 or 5 when he takes it to a gunsmith for repairs that he has the plate and cylinder changed out.

The cylinder may not be as long as the Poseidon version would have it appear, but the official concept art and composite images I have assembled from the show both indicate that it is extended.

VashGun-Composite2.png

You know what, you're right. I re-checked the numbers with the proportions on the latest revision on the model, and sure enough, almost every single detail shot has the cylinder dimensions at between 1.8" and 1.95".
Mine was based off of the average length of a .45 colt cylinder, but since I just recently learned that there's no real drawback to having a cylinder longer than the ammunition being fired, there's no reason at all for the cylinder to have to be standard size.

I updated the model to reflect this, adding .22 inches to the standard size to get a new length of 1.92". I also fixed the bridge groove at the top of the cylinder to end where it should and adjusted the chamfer on the front edge of the cylinder.

It seemed a little weird at first, but now I think it looks pretty good, and it seems to match the heavily perspective'd views really well:
(ignore under-construction electronic doodads!)

LongCylinder comp.JPG11.png

original:side view open.jpg
vs. new:sideview.JPG

The new bridge will be easy to print by itself and add to the printed master, and making the new frame will only take about two hours, so it's no big deal.
Like I said, I want this to be as perfect as practically possible for kit purposes.

You know what, you're right. I re-checked the numbers with the proportions on the latest revision on the model, and sure enough, almost every single detail shot has the cylinder dimensions at between 1.8" and 1.95".
Mine was based off of the average length of a .45 colt cylinder, but since I just recently learned that there's no real drawback to having a cylinder longer than the ammunition being fired, there's no reason at all for the cylinder to have to be standard size.

That looks much better. The short cylinder was one detail that always bothered be about the Vice Alpha kit, and by extension the SidKit casting of it. Poseidon were the only ones who got it right in that regard and the gun looks much better for it. I am interested to see how your grips turn out as well.

I've collected a large amount of information over the years about the various replicas that have been produced for this piece, as well as a couple of very detailed gas-powered airsoft conversions. Perhaps you'll find some of these pictures useful with regards to your internal mechanisims. The manga version of the gun was built by Poseidon to accomodate a gas propelled airsoft revolver and they devised an extremely clever mechanisim to get it to fire from the bottom cylinder, but the anime version is quite a bit trickier and people have gone about it in a few different ways. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1244235/Hosted Files/45ColtAirsoft.rar

Wow, I was just about to post new stuff! I've been super busy the last few weeks working on some related projects, but I finally found some time to continue this one.

Here's the overall status of everything so far:
5 - hcZ5pZK.jpg

As you can see, I finally got around to priming and polishing the rest of the external parts. I managed to get ahold of two .45 colt rounds to get the new cylinders properly sized. I went ahead and made the original fluted cylinder as well, which looks way more aggressive and super cool.
4 - WeXc3xl.jpg

The plan is to include six cast bullets and six empty casings with each cylinder. The ejector fits perfectly, and the bullets catch, yet still fit loosely enough in the cylinder that even the painted resin ones shouldn't stick at all:
3 - 0OVfADK.jpg
If the ejector mechanism ends up working as designed, I'm going to spend hours just reloading it over and over :D

As for the barrel section, I'm in the middle of chopping it up for finishing and casting purposes. I remade the little 'arc shield' bits that go around the plant electronics as separate pieces. The originals will be cut off of the master to make things easier to cast. Since the internals are drawn so differently in each scene, it also opens up the opportunity for customization if people request a specific style or combination of parts.
1 - 9LOFSE9.jpg2 - VTL35q7.jpg

After another can or so of primer and eleventy billion more hours of polishing, these parts should be shiny enough to make some nice semi-reflective casts.

I'm still getting the design for the grips worked out. Solidworks is great for angular stuff, but organic forms are a b*%ch to get right.

I'll be out of town all next week, but the plan is to start casting by the third week in March.

Time for some casting!

I finally got some Smooth-Cast 300, so it's mold-making time. I started with a couple of simple pieces: the cylinder, the side plate, and a bullet.
IMAG0928.jpg
Since the side plate is so thin, I used a short clay wall for the mold.

...six hours later, everything was cured, so I did a quick test run with various levels of black pigment. The bullets came out pretty well, aside from the occasional tiny bubble on the rim. That's easily fixable though.

IMAG0936.jpgIMAG0937.jpgIMAG0931.jpg

..and some experimentation with pigments and powders:
IMAG0935.jpg

As of right now, the rest of the small parts molds are curing, as is the top half of the two-part cylinder mold:
IMAG0938.jpg

Here in a few hours I'll do some test pulls, then it'll be time for some laser etching and complex mold building for the larger parts.

I am absolutly flabbergasted. i have been searching for something of this detail for years, i can not properly state in words how amazing this entire build is. all we have to do now is wait for 3D metal printing to become consumer and this piece of art will come to life.

This is seriously amazing. I'm with the slew of other folks in that I totally want to buy one if you're ever down for selling them (so long as I can afford it;)).

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back