Trigun: Functional Vash Revolver WIP

Holy moly! I'm keeping an eye on this! Trigun is one of my all time favorite series, seeing someone tackle this is definitely an enjoyment.

Wow, I'm loving the excitement!

What kind of 3D printer are you building?

It's an extruder printer kit from MakerGear, the M2. The rigid steel frame and cast aluminum fittings make it way more stable and accurate than most printers on the market, and it costs less than a lot of them. Everyone I know who's used one says it's the best one available hands-down.

I don't care how much these are going to go for, I'm completely in for two. I'll start saving now. Holy crap.

Awesome. Like I said, first couple of months of the year is the ETA, so I'll definitely keep everyone updated; and I'll post a junkyard thread or something when everything's ready to go.
I'm also planning on making the Knives version, since the only differences are the grip end-cap and the cylinder.

Did you consider simply building a shell and using the guts from a cap gun or airsoft pistol for the guts like Poseidon did?

Some reference if you don't already have it.

Vash%26Knives%20Gun%5BArtbook%5D.bmp

As a guy who's trying to learn Solidworks, I'm very impressed by your Solidworks work :)

Haha, thanks. This is literally the first thing I've ever used SolidWorks for, and it's REALLY good practice since I've been at it about 8-10 hours a day.

Did you consider simply building a shell and using the guts from a cap gun or airsoft pistol for the guts like Poseidon did?

I considered it in the beginning, but in order to have the proper proportions, all the parts pretty much have to be custom made. Plus, it's way more impressive to do it the long way :p

Anywho, I've spent my Thanksgiving weekend working pretty much nonstop on it, and I've finally finished all the necessary moving parts! Woo!
One of the great things about SolidWorks is that you can do motion simulations as you go, so all the fine-tuning only took a couple of hours instead of a whole day.

Finally got the cylinder rear shield thingies and locking lever done:
lock lever.JPG

After going back through the artbook, I added the correct Y shaped groove to the top of the sights and made them a little shorter.

I also went ahead and added some bullets for maximum enjoyment. The locking lever works perfectly, and it should have enough tension to stay tight when everything is assembled. I might have to make it out of aluminum, but we'll see.

Have some more shiny renders:

Cracked open:
open render.JPG

Finished the cylinder stop, so all it needs is a spring:
cylinder stop.JPG

..and the whole thing so far:
test render 1.JPG

All the functionality is there, except for the auto ejector, which is definitely going to be a PITA to get working. Everything else is just aesthetics: trigger guard, text, screw holes, grip, and power cell parts.

I'll be fighting badguys in no time :)

man. really great work. all the moving bits are gonna be so cool. wish i got mine this awesome. please continue with the updates :)

Hey, just wanted to throw in here. I have been following this thread for some time as I am another long time Trigun fan. I myself, began a scratchbuilt version of the longcolt, but never finished. due to lack of resources. What you are doing here is nothing short of astonishing, and is what I would have tried to do myself, if I had the tools. You have an amazing eye and appreciation for accuracy, and it looks like with this version you are combining all of the best parts of both the poseidon kit and the vice alpha one, then going further than either. I signed up to the forum just now because I am 100 percent sold on your version and would also love to get my hands on one. let me know when you finish, and how much you will charge. This thing is incredible!!!

Haha, thanks. This is literally the first thing I've ever used SolidWorks for, and it's REALLY good practice since I've been at it about 8-10 hours a day.

I considered it in the beginning, but in order to have the proper proportions, all the parts pretty much have to be custom made. Plus, it's way more impressive to do it the long way :p

Anywho, I've spent my Thanksgiving weekend working pretty much nonstop on it, and I've finally finished all the necessary moving parts! Woo!
One of the great things about SolidWorks is that you can do motion simulations as you go, so all the fine-tuning only took a couple of hours instead of a whole day.

Finally got the cylinder rear shield thingies and locking lever done:
View attachment 260643

After going back through the artbook, I added the correct Y shaped groove to the top of the sights and made them a little shorter.

I also went ahead and added some bullets for maximum enjoyment. The locking lever works perfectly, and it should have enough tension to stay tight when everything is assembled. I might have to make it out of aluminum, but we'll see.

Have some more shiny renders:

Cracked open:
View attachment 260661

Finished the cylinder stop, so all it needs is a spring:
View attachment 260662

..and the whole thing so far:
View attachment 260660

All the functionality is there, except for the auto ejector, which is definitely going to be a PITA to get working. Everything else is just aesthetics: trigger guard, text, screw holes, grip, and power cell parts.

I'll be fighting badguys in no time :)

just chiming in ,saw this thread a bit ago,very nice work you have going there :) ,, to the point, as I take this problem you can't use a push rod to empty the wheel out, how about a little spring from a push button pen to push the rod , this will give you the ejector function when the gun is opened,unless you really want the shells to fly out ,, just a thought :)

For the auto ejector, why not just have it run straight through the barrel instead of around it? Noone would know and it would make it a lot stronger than having thin pieces running along the side.

Ok, my 3D printer has been working all week, and I've gotten most of the printed masters done.
I've finally started cleaning and filling the prints, so here's a quick update with some test fittings:
IMAG0792.jpgIMAG0793.jpgIMAG0791.jpgIMAG0794.jpg

There's still a few days' worth of epoxying, sanding, bondoing, sanding, priming, sanding, and sanding left to go. Then I get to move on to sanding.
I want to get everything as shiny as nickel-plated steel before making the molds

I decided use the first ejector design, since it will be more sturdy. Basically, there's an arc-shaped slot that goes through the barrel to hold the auto-ejector lever.

It's going to be a pain to mold as one piece, but it will make the finished product way nicer, with much less noticeable seam lines than doing it as two halves. I might have to use a three-piece mold, so that'll be fun to learn.

If all goes according to plan, there's a possibility of a cold-cast metal run. More updates soon!
Love&Peace, etc.

Pardon me for asking (and yes, it's a great build so far; SolidWorks rocks) but instead of sanding, couldn't use acetone to remove the ridges left from the printing?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back