Warcraft (Post-release)

Re: Warcraft

Managed to get tickets to the premiere here locally and went with another huge WC fan and 2 non WC fans (but all around nerds). The two non WC fans really enjoyed it, they got the plot and characters easily and as they say they did not need all the extra talking like in LOTR. The WC fan enjoyed it but was worried it catered more to the fans of the game (alot of nods and in jokes) but still liked it.

I really enjoyed it, I did think the pacing was a bit too fast in the first half but the second half was much better. Its such a vast world to bring into a movie. If they made it half an hour longer and added a little bit more backstory/fleshing out for the non fans it would be a bonus. Other than pacing and a couple of dodgy voices/actor choices it was great. The Orcs were very well done aswell. At first they looked TOO real if that makes sense, too real for something that should not be real, but when they star interacting it was great and the 3d was very well done.

I've watched it too, and it was surprisingly good!! I'd recommend it, there's a LOTR vibe to it, so if you wish you could have more of these, you could definitely watch Warcraft, even if you're not too much of a big fan of the game, it's really well made!

Saw it on Monday..

I played wow for a long time but I was never that into the lore so beyond knowing a few names I really didn't have an idea of what was going to happen (plus I never played warcraft 1 etc.. which the film is based on)

I quite enjoyed it. The visual effects were really nice, the film had good pace and action vs talking was very well managed.

My only real issue, is that it felt a bit... shallow.

They tried to fit too much story into a limited timeframe and as such, didn't develop the chars as much as they perhaps should have. Even someone like me who already has an idea of who they are, felt they weren't very well rounded. Especially the orcs. Was really hard to distinguish who was who in some cases.

But overall, I liked it and looking forward to any continuations :)

I agree with you about the characters development. But then, the pace could have been too slow for the movie (with more talking), so they probably made that choice on purpose, but then, we might discover them a bit more in the next one :)

That's good to hear, LOTR is still my go to reference when it comes to the fantasy genre. What I'm afraid with movies like Warcraft is the over abundance of CGI, however great they are, I feel like it's going to age badly and just doesn't feel as real, like the Hobbit trilogy. But I'm gonna try to squeeze a viewing somewhere between two exams, I'm curious about it.

Jones' first cut of the film was 40 min longer than the theatrical, there was probably a lot of character moments and fleshing out the plot left on the editing room floor.

I dunno. The trailers for this seem really, really generic and not very good. I get a distinct "Dungeons & Dragons" or "Eragon" vibe from this.

Admittedly, I'm not a fan of the game series on which this material is built, and they're probably targeting the East Asian market with this, but whatever. Looks like a Netflixer for a night where my wife is out.

I dunno. The trailers for this seem really, really generic and not very good. I get a distinct "Dungeons & Dragons" or "Eragon" vibe from this.

Admittedly, I'm not a fan of the game series on which this material is built, and they're probably targeting the East Asian market with this, but whatever. Looks like a Netflixer for a night where my wife is out.

They might be targeting Asia with this movie but I'm not sure that WoW is popular in Asia as it is here and maybe Europe. Granted that it's just a movie but Asian MMORPGs have a very distinctive look to them that's very different from WoW which might not appeal to the Asian audience. However, I will admit that I'm not sure that there any MMORPGs in Asia that have the same name recognition and popularity as WoW does so that might be a factor even if, as I mentioned earlier, that it might not be as popular in Asia as it is here.

They might be targeting Asia with this movie but I'm not sure that WoW is popular in Asia as it is here and maybe Europe. Granted that it's just a movie but Asian MMORPGs have a very distinctive look to them that's very different from WoW which might not appeal to the Asian audience. However, I will admit that I'm not sure that there any MMORPGs in Asia that have the same name recognition and popularity as WoW does so that might be a factor even if, as I mentioned earlier, that it might not be as popular in Asia as it is here.

I've heard WoW is INSANELY popular in South Korea. Not sure about China. There was a rumor that they added a panda bear race to the game specifically because of the Korean popularity. Granted, that's just rumors I've heard. I have zero independent proof of this and haven't really investigated it.

Actually it's breaking records in China at the moment, I think there is a strong possibility that the asian market will outgross both domestic and european market.

The Pandaren have been a part of Warcraft lore since Warcraft III (so after the events of this movie). They were originally teased as an April Fools joke in the current game (World of Warcraft) and then later added in an expansion about 4 years ago.

The game is actually as or more popular in China than it is in North America: http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/WoW_population_by_country

I've played World of Warcraft off and on since it launched in 2004. Even played the original Warcraft: Orcs and Human. I've heard pretty good things from people who actually have a history with the games so that's encouraging. Even these fantasy properties seem to have to have a "origin story" movie which aren't always the greatest. I'm hoping the film has enough success to be able to get to some of the other AMAZING stories that have been told over the years.

EDIT: Evidently it's crushing it in China. http://deadline.com/2016/06/warcraft-china-record-opening-box-office-imax-results-1201769124/

I wouldn't doubt if it does more business there than anywhere else.

Last edited:
Just saw it in IMAX 3D .....Better than bat/sup , Turtles but still like DP better can wait until next one per the story line.....Just what I expected Excellant Movie

I have played little of the World of Warcraft video game, so my interest in the movie was mainly due to the involvement of Duncan Jones and I liked it very much.

It's hard to see fantasy movies and battle scenes these days without being reminded of Lord of the Rings which had set the benchmark, but Duncan has pulled it off and he did a great job with it.

Warcraft doesn't emulate its fantasy genre predecessors and stands on its own especially with its visual look and action.

Warcraft's world and imagery is beautiful without appearing as being saturated with CG. Anyone assuming otherwise is being misled by the trailers. Also the realism of orcs is stunning.

Good performance by the actors, with Travis Fimmel as Lothar, Paula Patton as Garona and especially Toby Kebbell as Durotan with his performance capture work.

The story and characters take some interesting turns, which definitely could have been improved further with a longer running time.

With just under 2 hours, the movie had me wanting to see more of the Warcraft world. I had the opposite reaction with the Hobbit movies. I surely enjoyed Warcraft more than the last Hobbit film. I hope they do a sequel to it.

Though I may not end up collecting anything Warcraft related, I am definitely tempted to look up Weta's Warcraft collectibles again.

Saw it last night, and man. This has to be the most beautiful movie I have ever seen, the CGI was amazing. And it some CGI wasnt well done, and some sucked, it was ALL stunningly awesome. The orcs of course were a sight to behold, but it was fun to see a fantasy movie where there is some actual magic. I played the original game from 94 that this was based off of, and I thought it was very well done. Yes, there are some pacing issues, and some quick edits that were weird, but Im really excited to see the extended cut on Blu Ray.

Overall it was a really fun film that I dont think you need to be a player of the games to enjoy. LOTS of easter eggs for the people that do play though. Grom, and other Warlords, the Murloc, polymorph, Sargeras... It was really fun. The orcs though. My brain was telling me they werent real, but dear god. They looked SO REAL, and conveyed so much emotion. Hell, I might even see it again.

Since they had 40 minutes cut, I am looking forward to the director's cut which might fix some of the pacing issues.

The movie is not tracking well in US but at least the movie is doing well in terms of box office internationally, with over 90 million already in China.

The current RT score is brutal and ridiculous. Some of the reviews are also dismissing the movie solely cause it's a video game movie, also that it takes itself too seriously. I wonder if they felt the same about the world of Middle Earth.

There will be a MOTU movie some day and lot of people will dismiss it on the same basis. "It's a freaking cartoon, made into a serious movie". Surely it's based on a children's TV show, but the source material can be adapted straight like a fantasy movie without winks and all, embracing the weirdness including the non-human characters. Warcraft did that faithfully with its adaptation.

I just saw the movie today and IMO it's awesome.

I've never played WoW and from what I've seen of it I don't think I would really like it. I played the original DOS game a little bit a long time ago and didn't really like or dislike it. So overall I consider myself a fairly impartial judge for this movie.

Pros:
1. The CGI is great
2. The battles are awesome
3. The story is interesting
4. The characters are likable

Cons:
1. The human characters seemed a bit underdeveloped (probably because they knew most the fans were overly psyched about the orcs, so they spent most of their time developing orcs.)
2. The movie is too short. Some aspects of the film seem rushed, and the ending feels sort of abrupt.
3. A couple of things sound/look a little silly to someone who isn't a fan of the games.

Overall it is a very fun movie to watch (even if you're not a fan of the games and you know basically nothing about the story) and I think it definitely deserves a sequel.

Long time Blizzard fan here since 1996 when WarCraft II was released for the Macintosh computer. I've been following the studio with Diablo II, StarCraft, WarCraft III, their expansions until finally sinking into World of WarCraft some 10 years ago. I own every Collector's Edition of WoW and have accomplished many things that cannot be accomplished now due to the game's massive changes. I've attended three Blizzcons and even the one where they announced Sam Raimi as the director of a WarCraft film. WoW has been a huge part in not only my life, but also my friends and family's life. I even got my sister into the game!

Now having said that, this WarCraft movie is one of the most disappointing ventures I've seen in quite a while. Duncan Jones is clearly working with something he loves, but there is no doubt in my mind that he is a 'yes man' to the higher ups at Blizzard who he no doubt idolizes. This imdb.com trivia entry is all I needed to know to set my expectations to their absolute lowest.

"Chris Metzen, the lead story writer at Blizzard Entertainment and the voice of many key characters in the Warcraft series, is also in charge of the story of the film."​
When it comes to quality issues involving the story of their products, Chris Metzen is the usual suspect. He is self-indulging, very full of himself and is one of the prime examples of implementing 'creator's pet' in his works. And boy is Chris' pet in this movie. Yeah, Durotan's son is Thrall, the Orc Shaman WarChief from the games. Not only is this character given so revered for his god like status in the universe, Chris actually voices him! And the WarCraft movie didn't shy away from setting Thrall up to be a super important character complete with a Moses like origin story. It's so self-serving.

But looking at the film from a general audience perspective who have never played the games, the film is just a boring drag. Vivek, you stated in your recent post that,

Vivek said:
The current RT score is brutal and ridiculous. Some of the reviews are also dismissing the movie solely cause it's a video game movie, also that it takes itself too seriously. I wonder if they felt the same about the world of Middle Earth.

The big difference between WarCraft and the Middle Earth movies is that Middle Earth gave us characters for the audience to connect with. i.e. Characters who don't know what the heck is going on. They had characters who started out not knowing what the world was like and we, as an audience, learned about that world through their adventures. And this is what World of Warcraft is all about. First time players start out as a little nobody in the world with no money, no gear and no friends. As time progresses, you become part of a guild, earn gold and finally defeat the most ferocious enemies in WarCraft's history! It was perfect. And as a player, you can learn how the world worked at your own pace. What is the story of the Alliance, it's leaders and their conflict? You don't know that from the start, but you can. But with WarCraft the movie, it gives us characters who DO know what kind of a world they live in, who do know how everything works and know the best way in how to deal with it. There's little for audiences to care about because nothing these characters do builds a world for us to get involved in. Instead of using what makes this universe unique to build it up, it falls back on clichés in hopes that people will care, and it's so shallow. I know there's a saying "Show, don't tell" but show is doing ALL THE WORK. And for a franchise with this much lore attached to it, they dropped the ball.

Speaking of clichés, let me talk about Lothar's son before I finish this post. I know he never had a son from the game series so I knew exactly where this was going. They were going to kill him off so Lothar would have a personal vendetta against the Orcs in some fashion. And boy did I laugh out loud when that happened. The film is throwing in all this artificial garbage to make us care, and when the moment comes where you're going to make it dramatic, it goes super PG-13 on it. The film doesn't even care at this point. It wants to do things by the numbers and become a mediocre mess.

I saw it this weekend. My only experience with some of the characters is through the Hearthstone game, rather than the MMORPG.

I liked it well enough. The story was pretty solid, the half-dozen main orcs were fairly fleshed-out as characters (more than I expected,) and the effects were fine.

It didn't excite me, but I don't feel cheated either.

One thing that did bother me a bit - while the orcs looked realistic enough, the dwarves and elves seemed more weirdly proportioned than necessary.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back