Funny thought re: 'rare' items being used in replicas

TylerHam

I was just thinking this - With all the Graflex, Sterlings, Webleys, etc.. that are being used to make prop replicas -

Do you ever think there will be a time when the replica hobby fades, and WW1 and WW2 stuff becomes more collected (I realize there are a lot of collectors, but I mean if it blows up suddenly) And I was thinking that it would be interesting if WW2 collectors, per sey, started purchasing prop converted Sterlings, to convert back and resotre to original Sterling guns. Same thought goes for vintage Graflex collectors, etc...

Just sort of a full-circle thing :) I dont know why that thought just struck me the other day!

I've thought about that. I don't think the hobby will fade as much as people will make their own. There will be a time when all those weapons will be too expensive. People have begun turning to airsoft guns...

The same is true for other parts... Not to beat a dead horse, but the round panel lights that were ALL OVER the Star Wars, Space 1999 and Moonraker sets are no longer available. NO ONE can find them at all.

I mean I wonder if the original parts will become so valuable, that collectors will buy our replicas just to convert tham BACK to "original" .. I think the real deal guns especially are already out of the grasp of most collector budgets!

Some of the folks I've talked to in other circles have already done that with some of the lightsaber parts (in particular, the grenade for an Obi saber)...

Last edited:
Since the Mayans were wrong about our dimse... there could be a new subculture based around quality "original" replicas. I remember going through a dumpster when I was a kid ( a neighbor had recently passed and I guess the family tossed everything away) and we found a bunch a WWII gear - bomber jackets, headphones, bullets, and other misc gear. It was so cool! I have no idea what happened to all the items.

My dad told me stories of when WW2 stuff was essentially worthless - He and his friends would go to the surplus store and buy helmets, canteens, jackets, etc.. for next to nothign and just use them to play around in, or use as cheap camping gear, etc...

I remember seeing regular folks being able to buy the Willis Jeep for as cheap as 60 bucks... I think they were advertised in the back of comic books?????? Those were great times!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back