My First Cosplay: Judge Cheap

HunterDan

Last year, I attended my very first San Diego Comic Con and since I was travelling all the way from New Zealand, decided to get into the spirit of the Con by trying my hand at cosplay. I thought I'd share my experience.
I set myself the following guidelines.
The build had to be:
  • cheap
  • ight weight
  • look half decent
  • get through New Zealand and US security
After abandoning my original idea of just sticking on a pair of glasses and a superman shirt I decided to attempt a Judge costume. The movie had yet to be released so I decided to put my own spin on the comic design.
I already owned motorbike gear as a base for the outfit so made the choice to start with accessories.

I decided I needed an easy win for my first accessory and so started to source the gun. Due to my lack of experience I chose a gun miles away from the design of the Lawgiver and purchased a Nerf Maverick because it was cheap (12NZD) and would looked pretty cool.

Some research on the net showed me how to mod it and give it a paint job. So here's the results of my first Nerf paint job.

Part Two: The Badge
I'd done some basic work with latex (zombie flesh) and so got the idea into my head that I could make a latex Judge badge. I would need to craft something to take a mold from first and so purchased some modelling clay.
Having never worked with clay before, more research and trial attempts were necessary.
I used Badger by Michael Owen Carrol to design a paper version of the badge Michael Carroll - Software - Badger

This is the clay model

The Badge Part II
Once the clay badge was complete, I instantly dismissed the idea of using it as part of my costume, it was too heavy and quite brittle. I attempted to make a mold of the badge by painting multiple layers of latex onto the clay version over the period of a few days.
And to my surprise produced a half decent mold.
My mistake was then pouring latex, coloured with paint into my mold. The damn thing didn't set and my mold was ruined.

The Badge III
I'd used up quite a bit of time on my abortive badge mold so decided to go medieval on my wife's yoga mat and some craft foam.
A lick of paint later and I produced a half decent Judge Badge.

My wife was away at the time and would not arrive home until I was on the flight to the States!!

Pads
I used the same yoga mat, craft knife, pins and gaffer tape to make the shoulder pads.
For the knee pads, I sanded down a pair of old skating pads and painted them green.

Belt
A trip to an Army surplus store produced pouches and a belt (50NZD). I also picked up a pair of trousers (40NZD)as my biking trousers proved too bulky and would be too hot for a con environment
A fancy dress store supplied the cuffs and baton.
More craft foam and paint were used to make the belt buckle.

First version at the Con
A pair of gardening gloves and some paint finished my first pass of the build. The helmet would not be included due to time constraints and no luggage space.

I also managed to get tickets for the Comic Con screening of Dredd3D attended by the stars. Since I'd gone to this much effort it seemed right to wear it to the screening!!

Karl Urban also called my costume ***kin' awesome at the 2000AD panel Karl Urban and Olivia Thirlby: IDW Dredd Panel San Diego Comic Con 2012 Part 1 - YouTube
Here's a few photos of me dispensing justice at SDCC.

Nice work there! Just goes to show that it doesn't neccesarily need to cost a fortune to make an awesome looking costume!

Whilst at Comic Con, the most popular comment I received was Where's Your Helmet? . Although the badge stated Judge Hunter and not Dredd, I decided I would have to attempt to make a helmet.

My requirements were:
  • that it could be made on the cheap
  • that I could make it in time for the opening night of Dredd3D in New Zealand

After lots of google searching along with multiple templates drafted on cereal packets, I went for the tried and tested route of the balloon, card and paper mache.
My first attempt (not shown) ended up looking like an ancient Roman helmet and didn't get to the painting phase. The second attempt fared much better.
I stupidly attempted to sand the hardened paper. Not to be put off I continued on.
The detail would be added by hot glue and craft foam. The visor, clear plastic shield from a kids fireman's helmet and black smoke spray paint obtained from a car model shop. Gaffer tape and sponges created the internal fitting.
I later learned that I was lucky that certain paints could have reacted to the foam/plastic and melt them!!!

I got build done in time for a screening of Dredd arranged by our local comic store, and in the dimmed lights of the cinema, the helmet complimented the Cheap Judge outfit, so much so the audience went apesh*t when I entered the cinema.

Overall for my first attempt, I'm happy with the helmet (even though my brother said it looked like a Minecraft helmet) and would like to thank everyone who posts on the RPF, your posts are inspirational. This was my first build but won't be my last!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back