Zoid Voltron Paper Craft

TitaniumBat

Sr Member
I came across this custom Voltron model done by a South Korean artist named GwiJang and thought I would share it. It's fully transformable from the five individual lions to Voltron and made entirely out of paper. Below are some links to his blog and YouTube video.

I've been trying to contact him to see if his work is for sale but have yet to be successful. I know the RPF is a vast wealth of knowledge so if anyone has some additional information about GwiJang and his Voltron model I would greatly appreciate it.

gwi-jang's papercraft

papercraft ZOIDS-VOLTRON complete - YouTube

WOW, WOW, WOW, WOW!

I would definitely not object to having Voltron look like that in the MOVIE!

That is awesome looking. Very Mech looking.

LOVE that design!

We must find a model! We must make it to wear! Surely someone knows something????

I did some snooping around this morning. So designer GwiJang occasionally releases segments of the black lion to certain members of the papercraft community as a sort of "challenge build." If they post pictures of themselves piecing it together, he then gives them the PDO (pepakura) files of the next few segments. I've reached out to one of these guys to see if he knows what GwiJang's release plans are. I'd love to give this a shot as well!

From Paper Craft Passion: Well for now, i don't have anymore answers to my messages from Gwi Jang, and in the last one he told me that he's stopping sharing it or selling it. So i'm stuck for now.

So basically he's halting all distribution of his work (for sale or otherwise). That's his prerogative, but more than a little disappointing! Maybe he'll change his mind at some point. Stay tuned.

That's great detective work Matt! I was actually successful in contacting Gwi Jang a few months ago although I needed a translator to help me communicate with him. He's a very nice guy but even then he wasn't selling the model.

I've been working on a model of the 25th anniversary Voltron toy to refine some of the details and 3d print a model kit but then I came across this elsewhere on the Internet and haven't bothered with the old model. I really want to convert this papercraft to a 3d printable model kit but there's so much detail, even with the wealth of photographs and video, I can't lock down a good approach. It's a shame he isn't sharing or selling the PDF anymore but who can blame him?

So instead, I've opted to let this one inspire me to create an original design, drawing from elements of Gypsy Danger and Striker Eureka from Pacific Rim for the way things go together (more mechanical details visible beneath the outer armor) but with the intention to make it fully articulated and transformable, more so than a paper model since 3d printing has many more capabilities for various shapes.

Even so, I can't really figure where to begin and I'm not much of a designer so I guess I'm poking my head in to see if anyone has suggestions for references to other mechs, zoids and giant robots to use as a starting point for the various features.

For anyone who's curious, here's my progress so far on the model. It took me awhile and many iterations that I was unhappy with, but I'm starting to find a good groove and I'm liking how this version is looking so far. I'm using the papercraft version as a guide for the overall proportions but trying to do a more original design taking some inspirational cues from Pacific Rim Jagers, mainly Gypsy Danger.

wip01.jpg

Another case of fallout from the activity of 'pirates' which discourages many designers from exposing their works to the 'web'. Couldn't sell the design as there would be licensing issues with the original IP (intellectual property) owner, so a 'free' distribution would be the only option for sharing. I expect the designer just doesn't want to deal with the hassle.

R/ Robert

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back