WIP Dredd 2012 Vest

The collar was made from a faux perforated leather and corduroy for the ribbing part. I couldn't find a leather that was like that. Its just been stuffed with a cushion stuffing.

Regarding the zipper, mine is 38cm but 35cm would've been ideal.

With all the new pictures coming up and the description of the detail of the vest. I've been thinking about re-making it... As I now understand that there was no foam in the vest. It was simply the material.. But in saying that, my vest plates are held on with screws then stitched... so it holds shape great. Wouldn't be able to do it for the material only vest.

This weekend I hope to have the belt loops on and all the side straps stitched too. :)

hey skeg,
what was that link for the mesh material again? didn't work for me. What's the material called?
Thanks

If you search for "black mesh fabric" it should come up. Its from a UK seller on eBay. The vest padding in mine was an old camping matt. Around 10mm thick. If I was to remake it, I would use a 3-4mm foam.

Sent from my PadFone

Just received 2 meters of this mesh material. Cost me £7.18 with p&p, although for you guys I'd assume the P7P is a bit higher. Looks as close as I think I can get it, but see what you can find when you search for 'sports mesh material.'

I also got some plain cheap black fabric at a local shop for the parts that won't be showing. I think the best 'stuffing' for the base of the vests is something like an exercise mat, or the camping mat as previously suggested. Anything light, but firm enough to keep it's shape.

As for the corduroy effect on the collar, a seamstress might be able to do 'ruching,' with some cheap leatherette type material. That's what I have in mind.

I've also ordered a car steering wheel cover off Ebay, which has the perforated material. Only £1.99 and free p&p from China, so I'll not get it until mid month and until then I won't know if it'll do the job, but it looks ok. Once I have all the parts, then I'll have a go at putting it together.

The links are;

Black Sportswear Mesh Lining

What Is Ruching?

New 14.5'' Comfortable DIY Car Steering Wheel Cover With Needles & Thread Black | eBay

Hope these are of some help.

H.

Just received 2 meters of this mesh material. Cost me £7.18 with p&p, although for you guys I'd assume the P7P is a bit higher. Looks as close as I think I can get it, but see what you can find when you search for 'sports mesh material.'

I also got some plain cheap black fabric at a local shop for the parts that won't be showing. I think the best 'stuffing' for the base of the vests is something like an exercise mat, or the camping mat as previously suggested. Anything light, but firm enough to keep it's shape.

As for the corduroy effect on the collar, a seamstress might be able to do 'ruching,' with some cheap leatherette type material. That's what I have in mind.

I've also ordered a car steering wheel cover off Ebay, which has the perforated material. Only £1.99 and free p&p from China, so I'll not get it until mid month and until then I won't know if it'll do the job, but it looks ok. Once I have all the parts, then I'll have a go at putting it together.

The links are;

Black Sportswear Mesh Lining

What Is Ruching?

New 14.5'' Comfortable DIY Car Steering Wheel Cover With Needles & Thread Black | eBay

Hope these are of some help.

H.

These are great. Thanks :)

So... my clips turned up yesterday and I started work on them. Couldn't wait. They turned out great. These have been laser cut and engraved out of a flexible PVC. So they will take the tension on the sides. Also beats paying top dollar for the real thing... I've still gotta add weathering to add an aluminium edge.. but that's for tomorrow I think. Hope you guys like it. :cool:

Sent from my PadFone

Small update... got the holster made to suit my lawgiver... took a couple of days. Also made some gauntlets.... well one.. as I'm modding the other one to suit my mobile phone. Also two 50mm flash balls.. They are a WIP... hoping to add square Red leds inside. Just a matter of getting 9 volts in there. Also a pic of my PVC buckle. Its a solid one piece. Still needs detail added. Enjoy.

Sent from my PadFone

I drew some plans and got it laser cut. Its just a solid piece. Non function. The clips are for show. :)

Sent from my PadFone

Being international (Australia) is a bit of a down fall really.. It would be easier for a US person to either buy bulk off me and resell or try there hand at it over there... Like I said tho. no functioning item... only for looks... :)

Sent from my PadFone

Gloves done. I know the "comms glove" is not very screen accurate. I've made it to house my mobile phone. So it suits the display on the phone. I can't take a photo with the phone in there as my camera doesn't have charge... I will as soon as Its sorted... :cool:

Sent from my PadFone

great work fella, very inspiring. im planning on starting a vest soon and was going to use a black tac vest that i have, but looking at this i may start from scratch.
atb
jay

I drew some plans and got it laser cut. Its just a solid piece. Non function. The clips are for show. :)

Sent from my PadFone

Did you have to submit your plans via a CAD / Corel Draw file, or would the company accept hand written plans with dimensions? I like the idea of getting 2 done, one in each size and then make molds for the remaining. Or, is it cost effective to get multiple clips produced by the company who did the laser cutting? May I ask what the cost was per item?

H.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back