What do people use to stick a part down for molding?

andy19422

Sr Member
I was wondering what other people use to stick a part down for molding to stop it floating and silicone getting underneath. In the Smooth-on vids on Youtube they use hot glue, but I don't know how you would remove the part from the board without breaking it. I have been using a thin bead of silicone sealant that is still tacky when I come to remove it after the mold has set.

You could use a thin slice of blutack, that should keep it down and stop it getting underneath it. Also clay is good, but more messy.

Clay is the most common method. When I began molding the masters for my phaser I used double sided tape, trimmed even with the edge. But that got to be too tedious so I eventually just glued them down to the base. I figure there's really no need to remove it, and when I need to make a new mold it'll be ready to go.

I use white glue or CA. Hot glue does come off pretty easily with alcohol. Although I don't like using it, because I feel like it puts a gap between the part and the surface it's glued to.

When I am just casting a piece flat, I have had luck with using a thicker walled surround (lego with flat tiles on top, turned upside down) and packing tape. Just put the packing tape overlapping and up the sides, press down on a flat surface, and stick your part to the exposed, sticky tape in the bottom. My usual casting materials are all too thick to have any effect on the tape's adhesion before it cures. But this only works for enclosures containing up to about a quart before it seeps from the pressure.

when i am casting a part that has a flat backside and will be making a simple 1 piece mold, i use carpet tape. (tape used to hold down carpet or rugs) it is a very sticky, very thin tape, but will still release the part when needed.

for example:

rug/carpet tape.

for everything else, i will build up a layer of clay (playdough) deep enough to imbed the piece into.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back