32" falcon grills

LOL...I knew that would get your attention ;)

That cast was made by a fellow RPF user (Ktaylor)...he has come up with what I believe has got to be nearly, if not exactly, the same technique they may have used to make the grills seen inside the engine rings and in the ports on the docking tunnels and in the front mandible pits, as well as around the cockpit tube.

You can see some of his making-of on his RPF thread here...http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=237317&p=4202115&viewfull=1#post4202115

He goes more into detail about how they were made on the studioscalemodelers site if you are a member there...http://www.studioscalemodelers.com/forums/thread-2639.html

He mentioned he might be doing casts of the grills and his engine rings, I for one am way interested...

Last edited:
Thank you,..now i can get some sleep:)
It seems that the scans mentioned in the above posts are very "crude" and that a lot of detail got lost in the process.
After closer examination the scan does show a little relief afterall and since the scan clearly rounds off finer detail i have to retract my statement that the grills are not reliefed.
Consider my above posts as hick ups of my immagination

Last edited:
HO scale door 541-1202-500x667.jpg

Not sure if this is how they were made or not, but they certainly look close! So I'm happy with that:D
I can't help but think of Occam's razor though, where the simple answer is often correct! These are tools they would have had laying around on the bench so it seems plausible at least- the most telling thing to me is the uncanny resemblense of how the vertical lines lay just below the horizontal and have that ribbed look. I just havnt seen anything else that reproduces that.

I am going to have to disagree with you guys that think the grills are not in relief...

Those 3D scans done by Steven D. and his crew for the MR build are not all that detailed, I mean just look at them, they are missing details all over the place that you can clearly see on the studio model and are definitely larger than "one ten-thousandth of an inch", also all of the corners have been rounded off and all the details look 'mushy'...so that reference can not be used to determine much of anything.

View attachment 715680

(I actually do see a little bit of the detail relief on the engine grills on that 3D scan)

...And I'm just going to leave this here...

View attachment 715681

Nice engine grill. the surface looks 100%. But the side walls of the main base look a bit too horizontal. shouldn't they be more angled.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back