32" falcon grills

Yeah the GOOD for YOU was sincere....I meant it.

ASCI leaves a lot re: interpretation.

We are all good here. I think everyone gets where everyone is coming from.

Jason, I have been called MANY things... UNVARNISHED is a first, but I take it as a compliment.

;-)

I type like I talk on the radio when I was in the Navy. Short, and to the point,
Im often told when people meet me, "WOW...You not HALF the A-HOLE that you sound like on the Boards!!" Ask GOT MAUL.

I have to agree to a certain degree. Im ALL about sharing info, but i do like other parties to at least make an effort, and then round and round we go.
Threads that share info freely rule, but i now understand so fully, why folk start to withdraw somewhat.
The "shoppinglistgivemewhatiseekandwritedownthepartnumbersforme" really gets tiresome and is just plain rude at times.

lee

Frank, I thought you forgot about that! That was one of those days where I realized internet "personas" can be vastly different in real life for whatever reason. Frank is one upstanding guy.... even though he is still a two finger typist.

So back to the original quest. How does one come by the rings that bind us together?

Castings or kit parts or are there any measurements of them. I was thinking that they could have been fashioned out of 1/8 0r 1/10 wheels from one of the larger car and or truck kits.

So back to the original quest. How does one come by the rings that bind us together?

Castings or kit parts or are there any measurements of them. I was thinking that they could have been fashioned out of 1/8 0r 1/10 wheels from one of the larger car and or truck kits.

Be brave and make your own!

;-)

I might just end up making my own engine rings and when I do, I will be so, so, so, so, so cool that I won't help anybody else either.

Mark, don't get discouraged so quick. You have to understand the time it takes to identify so much of the information to build these models. I'm not trying to defend Frank, he's well capable of that, but just know that he and many others come from a period of SS modeling that consisted of less resources to find parts and measurements......and they still got it right for the most part. In other words, they put in the hours upon hours looking through kits, putting plastic together, and sometimes realize that they may have been wrong at times.

Even Frank's fuzzy memory of those rings is gold info! I cant wait to hunt for a green tank part that fits into a section of a custom cut rocket part. That's great info, IMO! I recommend using even that small piece of info and see if it works for you. Everyone here is helpful in their own way you just need to take the information the way they put it out here and turn it into your own. Again, don't be discouraged......put your time in, show your work, offer help and you will definitely feel differently about the people here when they willingly and helpfully come to your side.

Joe

I feel very fortunate to have members here who have contributed so much to identifying these parts, I know my own 32" Falcon is going to take a long time to get done but it would take a heck of a lot longer and then some without the knowledge of those members so thanks!

I got Frank's resin grills in and I've gotta say they look awesome! There are some details that don't match up 100% with the ref but they are really good considering kit parts were used.

The screen model vents look too flat. I'm starting to wonder if patterned styrene was used instead. The two opposing lines could have been achieved through paint or lightly scoring the surface. I really wish the MPC TIE was used on it since the replication of the Koolshade looks so good. One could argue for accuracy here but I still recommend the resin grills!

vents_zps4c9371e4.jpg

Joe

I was thinking the same way with a sheet of styrene with a pattern. I'm looking at the notion of stretched sprue running perpendicular of the pattern. Without any reference to look at, I would have a guess of eight lines, measured evenly. I have an image that shows the detail, and it looks like the lines are slightly off when the widths are compared.

I'll post an image later today.

Have you guys perused through all the Naval stuff?
Id be maybe looking at Naval decks like the hood etc, not saying its the right path, but worth a look.
This advice is totally free of charge of course, if im wrong please, dont shoot the messenger!

Lee

Nah, Lee, if it means anything, you're always cool in my book!

First, I'd like to correct myself. After scrutinizing some of the ref I have of the vents, I can now vaguely make out the perpendicular lines. The even spacing looks very close to Frank's cast grills. That's what I get for questioning the work that the Falcon experts have done before me! :behave

So, I think it's safe to say it wasn't patterned styrene. Actually, the soft casts by ILM may have been why I couldn't make those raised lines out. I can now make out all the bubbles as well. Hey, it takes some mistakes to make progress sometimes, huh?

Joe

I took a look in the naval kits that I have, and I couldn't find anything that has enough space coverage that would supply a clean space to fashion a piece of vent from. I looked in the Hasegawa 1:450 Tirpitz and Akagi. I even looked in the 1:700 Tamiya Hood, I won't bore you guys with all the kits.

I will say, and have always stated, I'm not a professional model builder, but I do have something else. Computer graphic software that allows me to take a closer look at reference images.

Here's an image that I scaled up and added some lines in areas that would give me a clue to the origins. I firmly believe that the flat area is a sheet of styrene with an engraved pattern, possibly Plastruct or Evergreen. The black and white image at the bottom left shows this. On the black and white image to the right, the perpendicular raised lines are not consistent with the widths.

vents2_zps036c4e45.jpg

As far as the eight perpendicular lines go, I believe they were glued on by hand. If it was a kit part, the lines would be spaced far more accurately.

Computers, and cameras tell lies, ive seen that many times! I wish you all the best Scratchy, opinions and theories are what makes this place buzz, i hope someday we can out the truth and post it here!

Lee

Computers, and cameras tell lies, ive seen that many times! I wish you all the best Scratchy, opinions and theories are what makes this place buzz, i hope someday we can out the truth and post it here!

Lee

I'm just trying to help.

If computers and cameras tell lies, then all the reference images and model forums shouldn't be trusted. I don't think I'm prepared to go to those extremes when computers and cameras are the driving force behind the research.

Just a thought.

I'm just trying to help.

If computers and cameras tell lies, then all the reference images and model forums shouldn't be trusted. I don't think I'm prepared to go to those extremes when computers and cameras are the driving force behind the research.

Just a thought.

Ahhh....you are starting to see it now.
See, my interpretation via computers and cameras is no better than anyone else's for exactly the reason you point out.

So we kept our mouths shut.

The eye that needs to be satisfied is yours alone. Everything looks different to each of us.

;-)

The camera does lie or distorts the true shape of the object depending on the focal length settings. These can be adjusted for if you have the camera setting for the images. Guy had a perfect example on his Slave 1 Build thread showing the difference in length of the tail depending on what image you measured from. You have to keep that in mind when using reference photo's.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back