Blade Runner Blaster news: model kit version of the Tomenosuke Blaster is coming

I just scoured my garage and found a rubber washer for an old dishwasher hose kit that I never used. It fit like a glove so I trimmed it and used double sided tape. Wow that was a really easy and effective mod. It's nice and snug now. Just finished buffing the metal and painting the black parts. Tomorrow ill head out and get some bluing agent and finish this bad boy up. I love this kit!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373005983.863726.jpg

Question about the grip frames. I can't tell from the world con photos if they're both painted black or just the outer.
I noticed that the black helps significantly darken these amber grips. The light color was my ONLY complaint about this kit. With the frame painted black, the grips are ALMOST perfect. Much better than I thought. But now I can really see the inner frame as it contrasts against the outer. Anyone have any particular photos that show what this should be? I'm thinking I may just paint the inner frame as well, or at least blue it heavily.

Question about the grip frames. I can't tell from the world con photos if they're both painted black or just the outer.
I noticed that the black helps significantly darken these amber grips. The light color was my ONLY complaint about this kit. With the frame painted black, the grips are ALMOST perfect. Much better than I thought. But now I can really see the inner frame as it contrasts against the outer. Anyone have any particular photos that show what this should be? I'm thinking I may just paint the inner frame as well, or at least blue it heavily.

Here are some shots of the grip frame from either Karl or Rich (or both).
These were taken when the blaster was being repaired for the auction as far as I recall

GF001.jpg

GF002.jpg

Best of luck

MARK

Here's a quick before and after of the blued parts. It's slightly less even than I would have liked but I'm happy with the oily look. I also tweaked the trigger mechanism and greased it so that's working like a champ now. Just waiting for the paint to finish drying in the inner grip and I can start putting her together. Thanks again to everyone for all your help.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373054764.357578.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373054777.858933.jpg

And I think I'm done! I think this is my all time favorite build. I can't say enough good things about this kit. Thanks Mune!

IMG_2436_zps8acd01bf.jpg

IMG_2435_zps92791216.jpg

IMG_2434_zps7cd61d93.jpg

IMG_2433_zps6f11e3a9.jpg

IMG_2432_zps1385a390.jpg

IMG_2431_zpse7a1dd1e.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2435_zps92791216.jpg
    IMG_2435_zps92791216.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_2436_zps8acd01bf.jpg
    IMG_2436_zps8acd01bf.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_2436_zps8acd01bf.jpg
    IMG_2436_zps8acd01bf.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_2434_zps7cd61d93.jpg
    IMG_2434_zps7cd61d93.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_2435_zps92791216.jpg
    IMG_2435_zps92791216.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2434_zps7cd61d93.jpg
    IMG_2434_zps7cd61d93.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_2431_zpse7a1dd1e.jpg
    IMG_2431_zpse7a1dd1e.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2431_zpse7a1dd1e.jpg
    IMG_2431_zpse7a1dd1e.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_2432_zps1385a390.jpg
    IMG_2432_zps1385a390.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2433_zps6f11e3a9.jpg
    IMG_2433_zps6f11e3a9.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_2433_zps6f11e3a9.jpg
    IMG_2433_zps6f11e3a9.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_2432_zps1385a390.jpg
    IMG_2432_zps1385a390.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 74
Last edited by a moderator:
Take the steyr upper and slide off the gun. remove the slide/bolt, leaving just the upper. The washer goes behind the end cap that is bolted to the front end of the upper.

that fills the gap left when you close the slide. the washer is sandwiched in between the front end of the slide and the back end of the cap with a little pressure which keeps the lever from flopping. It goes inside the upper about where the red line is, behind the cap.

download.jpg

Wow very nice. :thumbsup Its the best kit out there by far. So precisely made.
Ck

It is a great kit...but considering they reached out to Richard Coyle for specific details on the actual prop, I would say Rich still makes the most accurate kits and fully built models available.

I would definitely agree with you there.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, this ended up being simpler than I thought so there's not much of a Howto. Just take a red sharpie to the flat side of the grips. :lol

I washed and rubbed them down with alcohol first so that it would apply smoothly, then just colored them in.

Before:

After:

It is a great kit...but considering they reached out to Richard Coyle for specific details on the actual prop, I would say Rich still makes the most accurate kits and fully built models available.

Certainly I will give Rich much deserved props for his dedication and research. If it wasn't for him we wouldn't have what is available today I believe.
I owned his resin blaster and it was fantastic. I haven't seen his metal one in person.
So in the context of precision and tooling i love the pro kit. It's like handling and assembling the real thing.

Certainly I will give Rich much deserved props for his dedication and research. If it wasn't for him we wouldn't have what is available today I believe.
I owned his resin blaster and it was fantastic. I haven't seen his metal one in person.
So in the context of precision and tooling i love the pro kit. It's like handling and assembling the real thing.

Agreed, and in a real class move they actually sent Rich a kit! I was over at his house visiting with him yesterday but he forgot to show me. We did pull out all of his guns from over the years and he told their tales. I even got to hold his shooter!

Trooper_trent,

Really clever idea with the grips. I'm tempted to try it with an orange sharpie for a slightly different, more "orange" look but that's really cool. I use them all the time in modelling but never would have thought of this application.

Bryancd,

Great story about meeting with Rich yesterday. I've owned a few of his versions of this blaster over the years. It's been amazing to see how it's evolved with each new discovery. And I agree: Rich really moved the ball up the field over the years from the first blurry video tape images to Karl's discoveries at World-Con. I hope he's feeling much better these days.

Ted.
Prefect42.

yeah, it's really hard to tell.
In person, it matches most of the worldcon photos perfectly, but after I took the picture it was almost too dark. Good thing is it'll wipe right off with some alcohol. I may mess with it a bit more.

He is doing better and has about 6 blasters on the work bench. His home is like a museum of some amazing props sitting on shelves all over the place! I noticed everyone building these posting pics have opted for the WorldCon silver scored dial on the right side as opposed to the screen accurate balck standard screw. Any particular reason? It does look good.

For comparative purposes, and love for this blaster we all share, here is Rich's latest version.

2ykxlad.jpg

Last edited:
He is doing better and has about 6 blasters on the work bench. His home is like a museum of some amazing props sitting on shelves all over the place! I noticed everyone building these posting pics have opted for the WorldCon silver scored dial on the right side as opposed to the screen accurate balck standard screw. Any particular reason? It does look good.

For comparative purposes, and love for this blaster we all share, here is Rich's latest version.

http://i40.tinypic.com/2ykxlad.jpg

I just went with the weaver knob because it looks better to me. It looks more in line with the rest of the gun rather a flat head screw. Knowing I can swap it out at any time helps. ^_^

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back