Subscribe
    Jul 5, 2013, 7:18 PM - Re: Blade Runner Blaster news: model kit version of the Tomenosuke Blaster is coming #626

Wow very nice. Its the best kit out there by far. So precisely made.
    Ck
    Jul 5, 2013, 8:06 PM - Re: Blade Runner Blaster news: model kit version of the Tomenosuke Blaster is coming #627

mtrixman said: View Post
    Yup that's where you put it
    I'm still confused on where to put the rubber washer goes. Can you draw an arrow. lol
    Ck

Here is mine

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	download.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	438.1 KB 
ID:	204806
  3. RPF Premium Member Trooper_trent's Avatar
    From
    Fort Worth TX
    Jul 5, 2013, 8:25 PM - Re: Blade Runner Blaster news: model kit version of the Tomenosuke Blaster is coming #628

Take the steyr upper and slide off the gun. remove the slide/bolt, leaving just the upper. The washer goes behind the end cap that is bolted to the front end of the upper.

that fills the gap left when you close the slide. the washer is sandwiched in between the front end of the slide and the back end of the cap with a little pressure which keeps the lever from flopping. It goes inside the upper about where the red line is, behind the cap.

Name:	download.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	438.9 KB 
ID:	204810
    Jul 5, 2013, 8:54 PM - Re: Blade Runner Blaster news: model kit version of the Tomenosuke Blaster is coming #629

Ahhhh I gotcha now. Thanks a bunch
  5. RPF Premium Member Trooper_trent's Avatar
    From
    Fort Worth TX
    Jul 5, 2013, 9:07 PM - Re: Blade Runner Blaster news: model kit version of the Tomenosuke Blaster is coming #630

Hey guys check this out! Let me make sure this is going to work and ill post up a howto!

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373076439.023805.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	184.9 KB 
ID:	204816
  6. Bryancd is offline Bryancd
    Jul 5, 2013, 9:40 PM - Re: Blade Runner Blaster news: model kit version of the Tomenosuke Blaster is coming #631

Darth Infamous said: View Post
    Wow very nice. Its the best kit out there by far. So precisely made.
    Ck
    It is a great kit...but considering they reached out to Richard Coyle for specific details on the actual prop, I would say Rich still makes the most accurate kits and fully built models available.
  7. RPF Premium Member Trooper_trent's Avatar
    From
    Fort Worth TX
    Jul 5, 2013, 9:52 PM - Re: Blade Runner Blaster news: model kit version of the Tomenosuke Blaster is coming #632

I would definitely agree with you there.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, this ended up being simpler than I thought so there's not much of a Howto. Just take a red sharpie to the flat side of the grips.

I washed and rubbed them down with alcohol first so that it would apply smoothly, then just colored them in.

Before:

After:

Jul 5, 2013, 11:04 PM - Re: Blade Runner Blaster news: model kit version of the Tomenosuke Blaster is coming #633

Bryancd said: View Post
    It is a great kit...but considering they reached out to Richard Coyle for specific details on the actual prop, I would say Rich still makes the most accurate kits and fully built models available.
    Certainly I will give Rich much deserved props for his dedication and research. If it wasn't for him we wouldn't have what is available today I believe.
    I owned his resin blaster and it was fantastic. I haven't seen his metal one in person.
    So in the context of precision and tooling i love the pro kit. It's like handling and assembling the real thing.
  9. Bryancd is offline Bryancd
    Jul 6, 2013, 12:26 PM - Re: Blade Runner Blaster news: model kit version of the Tomenosuke Blaster is coming #634

Certainly I will give Rich much deserved props for his dedication and research. If it wasn't for him we wouldn't have what is available today I believe.
    I owned his resin blaster and it was fantastic. I haven't seen his metal one in person.
    So in the context of precision and tooling i love the pro kit. It's like handling and assembling the real thing.
    Agreed, and in a real class move they actually sent Rich a kit! I was over at his house visiting with him yesterday but he forgot to show me. We did pull out all of his guns from over the years and he told their tales. I even got to hold his shooter!
  10. RPF Premium Member Prefect42's Avatar
    From
    Hotel California, LA.
    Jul 6, 2013, 1:46 PM - Re: Blade Runner Blaster news: model kit version of the Tomenosuke Blaster is coming #635

Trooper_trent,

Really clever idea with the grips. I'm tempted to try it with an orange sharpie for a slightly different, more "orange" look but that's really cool. I use them all the time in modelling but never would have thought of this application.

Bryancd,

Great story about meeting with Rich yesterday. I've owned a few of his versions of this blaster over the years. It's been amazing to see how it's evolved with each new discovery. And I agree: Rich really moved the ball up the field over the years from the first blurry video tape images to Karl's discoveries at World-Con. I hope he's feeling much better these days.

Ted.
    Prefect42.
  11. RPF Premium Member Trooper_trent's Avatar
    From
    Fort Worth TX
    Jul 6, 2013, 3:09 PM - Re: Blade Runner Blaster news: model kit version of the Tomenosuke Blaster is coming #636

yeah, it's really hard to tell.
    In person, it matches most of the worldcon photos perfectly, but after I took the picture it was almost too dark. Good thing is it'll wipe right off with some alcohol. I may mess with it a bit more.
  12. Bryancd is offline Bryancd
    Jul 6, 2013, 3:13 PM - Re: Blade Runner Blaster news: model kit version of the Tomenosuke Blaster is coming #637

He is doing better and has about 6 blasters on the work bench. His home is like a museum of some amazing props sitting on shelves all over the place! I noticed everyone building these posting pics have opted for the WorldCon silver scored dial on the right side as opposed to the screen accurate balck standard screw. Any particular reason? It does look good.

For comparative purposes, and love for this blaster we all share, here is Rich's latest version.

Last edited by Bryancd; Jul 6, 2013 at 3:24 PM.
  13. RPF Premium Member Trooper_trent's Avatar
    From
    Fort Worth TX
    Jul 6, 2013, 3:36 PM - Re: Blade Runner Blaster news: model kit version of the Tomenosuke Blaster is coming #638

Wow, that is slick!
  14. Bryancd is offline Bryancd
    Jul 6, 2013, 3:37 PM - Re: Blade Runner Blaster news: model kit version of the Tomenosuke Blaster is coming #639

Trooper_trent said: View Post
    Wow, that is slick!
    I love what you did to the grips, looks spot on!
  15. RPF Premium Member scottjua's Avatar
    From
    Plano, TX (Dallas)
    Jul 6, 2013, 3:40 PM - Re: Blade Runner Blaster news: model kit version of the Tomenosuke Blaster is coming #640

He is doing better and has about 6 blasters on the work bench. His home is like a museum of some amazing props sitting on shelves all over the place! I noticed everyone building these posting pics have opted for the WorldCon silver scored dial on the right side as opposed to the screen accurate balck standard screw. Any particular reason? It does look good.

For comparative purposes, and love for this blaster we all share, here is Rich's latest version.

http://i40.tinypic.com/2ykxlad.jpg
    I just went with the weaver knob because it looks better to me. It looks more in line with the rest of the gun rather a flat head screw. Knowing I can swap it out at any time helps. ^_^
  16. Bryancd is offline Bryancd
    Jul 6, 2013, 3:46 PM - Re: Blade Runner Blaster news: model kit version of the Tomenosuke Blaster is coming #641

It does look sharp.
  17. RPF Premium Member Trooper_trent's Avatar
    From
    Fort Worth TX
    Jul 6, 2013, 4:14 PM - Re: Blade Runner Blaster news: model kit version of the Tomenosuke Blaster is coming #642

I love what you did to the grips, looks spot on!

Thanks, after looking at it again and stepping away from it a bit, I agree with what Prefect42 said about it needing to be more orange. The red sharpie did bring it down a little too much.
    SO!

I was going to remove the red sharpie and try again with orange, BUT as I started removing it with alcohol and a cotton ball, I noticed that it gradually pulled the color away as well as evened out a few streaks that it had. The result was PERFECT! I just kept wiping it with clean cotton balls soaked in alcohol until I got the color I wanted. It was actually really easy!
    See for yourself and tell me what you think!

After cleaning the left one with Alcohol

Comparison with Original.

And on the blaster:

Original Grips:

After darkening them with red sharpie (too red):

After cleaning with alcohol (just right):

So, if anyone wants a quick, easy way to get a perfect tone on the Blaster Kit grips, just color them in with Red Sharpie, let it dry completely, then take a cotton ball soaked in alcohol and wipe it down, using a new cotton ball every 20 strokes or so, until it's the shade you want.
    Last edited by Trooper_trent; Jul 6, 2013 at 5:29 PM.
  18. Bryancd is offline Bryancd
    Jul 6, 2013, 4:22 PM - Re: Blade Runner Blaster news: model kit version of the Tomenosuke Blaster is coming #643

Wow, yeah! Here is a better picture of the Coyle grip color on a dark background to compare.

19. RPF Premium Member Trooper_trent's Avatar
    From
    Fort Worth TX
    Jul 6, 2013, 6:19 PM - Re: Blade Runner Blaster news: model kit version of the Tomenosuke Blaster is coming #644

Ahhhh I gotcha now. Thanks a bunch
    Here's a pic of it.

I also just did another quick mod to fix the rattle. This is also an alternate method to solving the floppy arm.

Mine was rattling quite a bit and I found that it was the looseness of the swivel portion of the sleeve (part number 11) jiggling against the bolt. It has to swivel because the arm swings up but the sleeve stays put and slides back. but it had a bit too much space between the inside of the sleeve and the end of the bolt. So I put a small plastic washer in between these two pieces. This quiets the rattle and provides some additional friction for the bolt, which keeps the arm in place. Now it sounds nice and clacky when I open the bolt but it's solid and quiet when it's closed.
    Me likey!

From
    NewZealand
    Jul 6, 2013, 9:16 PM - Re: Blade Runner Blaster news: model kit version of the Tomenosuke Blaster is coming #645

I love how people on this forum have such great ideas. The washer and the red sharpie technique, superb. As soon as I'm finished with my bathroom reno I'm back into finishing mine off proper, thanks to all the great ideas you fellas have come up with!
  21. RPF Premium Member Prefect42's Avatar
    From
    Hotel California, LA.
    Jul 6, 2013, 11:03 PM - Re: Blade Runner Blaster news: model kit version of the Tomenosuke Blaster is coming #646

Trooper_Trent,

That new color you managed with the alcohol trick is perfect. WOW! Your work is excellent.

I'm guessing for the bluing, you blued the pieces and then sanded them down? I've got sanding pads on order and a bottle of Casey's here. Just need time this week to start.

And Brian, thanks for the updates on Rich. So glad to hear he's back at work.

Ted.
    Prefect42.

And to everyone who jumped in with the washer to help the loose lever fit, THANK YOU!
  22. RPF Premium Member Trooper_trent's Avatar
    From
    Fort Worth TX
    Jul 6, 2013, 11:53 PM - Re: Blade Runner Blaster news: model kit version of the Tomenosuke Blaster is coming #647

Actually, I buffed them before bluing. Depending on the finish you want, the more polished it is before hand, the more even the bluing will be.
    I just wanted to take off the original finish so that they were smooth. I used a sanding sponge and then went to medium grade steel wool to get the look I wanted, then blued them with a few coats, lightly buffing the uneven spots with fine steel wool.
  23. Member Since
    Oct 2012
    From
    Scotland
    Jul 7, 2013, 1:58 AM - Re: Blade Runner Blaster news: model kit version of the Tomenosuke Blaster is coming #648

Thanks for tips on blueing, looking to do this myself for the first time.
  24. RPF Premium Member Trooper_trent's Avatar
    From
    Fort Worth TX
    Jul 7, 2013, 1:35 PM - Re: Blade Runner Blaster news: model kit version of the Tomenosuke Blaster is coming #649

There are several videos in YouTube on how to do it. Watch a couple of those first and you'll be fine. Unless you want an absolute perfect finish, it's hard to mess it up really. If you're going for at least a semi used look you'll be fine. If you want it to look like glass you may want to have it professionally done. By a gun smith.
    From
    Southern California
    Jul 7, 2013, 2:06 PM - Re: Blade Runner Blaster news: model kit version of the Tomenosuke Blaster is coming #650

DISSECTING THE PLASTIC BARREL

So I got curious about the metal plug inside the plastic barrel and did a little surgery on one that I chopped off for the steel barrel upgrade. First I clamped the barrel in my mill and tried to mill away one side. I discovered that the plug is made of hardened steel and is a separate piece from the little plate in the breech. I then sliced off some more plastic along one side on the band saw. The plug did not appear to the molded in place. It's what you are seeing when you look in either end of the barrel.

I was able to easily pry the plug from the plastic and discovered a small dowel pin that was holding it in place. Also interesting was that the plug was stepped in diameter, larger for a short length at the muzzle end.

The dowel pin was held in place in a through hole where the ammo clip bolt attached by a small ball bearing.

Looking at the inside of the plastic barrel you can see the shallow hole into which the dowel pin fit. Note also that the small hole on the side is through threaded, but that there was no corresponding hole in the plug. Meaning that the barrel and frame were molded without the plug in place and that it was added after the holes were threaded.

Close inspection of the through hole in the plug revealed a little bit of clear residue, probably from a drop of glue used to keep the ball bearing from falling out. In some cases, the ball bearing was loose in the box, having fallen out of the hole.

So this gave me an idea. I put a couple of drops of lacquer thinner in the hole on another intact barrel to soften the glue. (The solvent had no effect at all on the plastic so it's not styrene.) Then I rapped the barrel against my workbench which caused the ball and pin to drop down a bit. I could then easily push the plug out of the barrel with a stiff piece of wire through the breech end. This plastic barrel is going to be replaced with a steal one anyway.

Related to this, I was able to remove the metal washer from the cylinder by cutting away the plastic on the front end. I did it on my lathe, but you could do the same thing with a Dremel.

And while I didn't do it, with a little bit of careful grinding, the zinc plate in the breech could be removed leaving a free and clear open barrel.

What all this means for our members in the U.K. is that if you're a little clever (and very stupid!) with a little bit of work, and using common tools, you could turn the Tomenosuke into a real shooter. Of course the plastic barrel and frame would blow apart with the first shot and shred your hand, but I bet the bullet would come out the end!

DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME KIDS!!!
    Last edited by DaveG; Jul 7, 2013 at 2:15 PM.