Star Trek Continues

looks interesting. What happened to ST: New Voyages. Did they lose the rights?

I just checked the site and they are still up and running it would seem . They have changed the cast some so we shall see. As much as I appreciate their work the excitement level waiting between episodes kind of wanes for me. We did not even get a stocking stuffer episode to hold us over.
They are even changing the Enterprise I think to fall in line with the refit which is the version we would have seen in the second TV series.

Meh.

The only fan stuff I like is when they take the concept and then introduce new characters. Although Doohan is a nice touch you just can't help but compare everyone to the original actors and it fails.

The reason JJ Trek worked in recasting the roles is because it changed enough of the surroundings to kill direct comparison (even then it didn't really work IMHO).

Same sets, same characters, doesn't work.

This Kirk is better than the one from New Voyages though. Only thing that really bugs me is that he's a bit high pitched to have the same presence. Sounds like Shatner had a bit of helium.

Production quality is good, but it still screams "fan film" to me.

Thought I'd clarify my characters comment. When it comes to TOS Trek there are only three that you need to get bang on: Kirk, Spock, McCoy. The rest can be close approximations and it'll work because they're all secondary characters.

However the three leads really do have to be bang on and I haven't gotten that feeling from any of the fan series.

I just checked the site and they are still up and running it would seem . They have changed the cast some so we shall see. As much as I appreciate their work the excitement level waiting between episodes kind of wanes for me. We did not even get a stocking stuffer episode to hold us over.
They are even changing the Enterprise I think to fall in line with the refit which is the version we would have seen in the second TV series.

Well, they have the same 'actress' who played Uhura from New Voyages on their crew now. And as far as New Voyages, yes, it wanes. They keep talking about the next episode filming and how many are in the can, but they take so long to release them that I forget all about them. They have something like six episodes now that are filmed and not finished. I say stop filming new episodes, finish the ones you have, then make more.

They introduce a new Kirk and put up a ten minute episode, but by the time they get around to finishing the ones with Cawley as Kirk, it will be about three years before we see the new guy as Kirk on an episode.

I also wonder what ever happened to their Buck Rogers and Wild Wild West series they were talking about?

Yeah, I feel you're going to have to think of this as season 4 of Star Trek TOS but with an entirely new cast. They are trying to tell the stories but doing so by not "imitating" the actors. Kirk is now being played by Vic Mignogna, not by Vic Mignogna doing an imitation of William Shatner. Other than using various "accents", there is no attempt of imitating anyone. Once I got past that, I really dug it, and I'm not even a huge Star Trek fan.

I think the acting is already far better in Star Trek Continues than it ever has been in Phase II/New Voyages. I'm not saying it's great but it's an improvement.

There are quite a few fan production that look terrific but the weak point is always the acting. It's like none of them want to admit that they are terrible actors. :unsure

I'm gonna give this a shot. I missed "Enterprise" in the first run because I wasn't open enough about Trek. Big mistake. Different actors or not, I'm willing to see what they have in store.

I'm gonna give this a shot. I missed "Enterprise" in the first run because I wasn't open enough about Trek. Big mistake. Different actors or not, I'm willing to see what they have in store.

I like "Enterprise"... But it's not a fan series and it has professional actors. ;)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back