Star Trek Continues

A funny thing happened the last couple of episodes. I actually found myself almost starting to cry with the opening monologue and credits.

It occurred to me that this show accomplishes a kind of nostalgia that I can no longer get from watching TOS episodes. Over the years I know TOS episodes so well I've forgotten what it was like watching them for the first time. I haven't felt that way in decades.

With the opening credits I'm suddenly a kid again sitting on the carpet in front of the Zenith TV set in my grandparents apartment engaged in this amazing show I just discovered.

You are not alone. I want to cry also. Vic and his team have produced a quality production. I hope all involved go on to greater artistic and financial sucess.

Not only did they bring back Star Trek but also so many actors and actresses from other science fiction series. I feel like they have brought back some of the best of the 60s, 70s and 80s and from both sides of the pond.

i'm just glad I can see it in color and not black and white or having to adjust the roof antenna in the middle of the show.

It was New Voyages that first got me to realise fan films could be as good as the original, but then they went more and more towards stunt casting, another crew member is made older (for the original actor) and then the sudden obsession with "this ugly romper suit was designed for Phase II and we're using it, isn't that cool?" or "this story (kitumba) was written for Phase II" (nevermind that it no longer fits Klingon history), or "Mindisifter is adapted from a published story" (and is a blatant Mary Sue that leaves Spock as Captain for a year which also doesn't fit the history) and "our Spock was the stand-in for Zach Quinto"and patting themselves on the back for tiny links to Trek. That, and losing focus while trying to also get a Wild Wild West and Buck Rogers series off the ground.
Don't get me wrong, I loved the early stuff, and I'm fairly certain Trek fanfilms wouldn't be pushing to be as good as they are without their example. A huge part of that is James Cawley's hard work and money (which, it must be pointed out, he earned himself), so hats off to all of them.
For me, though, Continues has been much more consistent with getting the 'feel' of TOS: solid stories with a message, and character interactions that had a lot more of the fun of the original. And, despite the character not being mentioned before or since, I've really liked Counsellor McKennah. After all, how often did TOS introduce us to a new (female) scientist/historian as needed?

And, despite the character not being mentioned before or since, I've really liked Counsellor McKennah. After all, how often did TOS introduce us to a new (female) scientist/historian as needed?

Only once in a while. But McKennah's in every episode. And her role is much different than that of a historian or scientist in a specific field, who provides information to Kirk about some alien or alien world or phenomena they've encountered. McKennah's role as Counselor is far too broad, and she too often questions--challenges, really--the decisions Kirk is making, or contemplating making. I don't like the way she talks to him. Nor do I like the way she talks in general--way too modern in style.

As someone else mentioned in this thread, a really unfortunate side effect of having McKennah as a regular crew member, is that in order to make room for her, and her counseling to Kirk, it has diminished the roles that Spock and McCoy traditionally had in TOS, serving as Kirk's principal advisers. That terrific dynamic, of the logical Spock speaking in one of Kirk's ears, and the passionate Bones speaking in the other, has been weakened by her presence and screen time, during such vital moments in Kirk's decision-making.

STC has gone to such great lengths to faithfully re-create TOS, it mystifies why she was added to the crew in the first place--particularly in such a disruptive capacity to the existing traditional character relationship dynamics. Begging the question...is the actress Vic's girlfriend? lol

The Wook

Last edited:
i do believe, the answer is yes and more. I think they married.

Mystery solved. Well, what's that old saying? A happy wife makes a happy home. :)

Michelle's hot, and if you watch this video, obviously the love of his life. Apparently, they've been an item for years prior to STC. And I gotta admit, they make a cute couple. So I'll allow Vic's indulgence of making room for his girl in the show. lol

Who knows...without her in his life, perhaps Vic never would've made these amazing episodes for us all to enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7FSCaAGA8E

The Wook

Their casting for that returning Romulan character was insane. Instantly recognized the character and did a double take. Unbelievable.
I also loved the nod to the inconsistency of Kirk's middle initial in WNMHGB while actually being relevant to the story. All of the callbacks worked well.
The planet set looks amazing too. It's a real shame they didn't get to use it more, because it really helps to nail that TOS aesthetic and vibe.

Really looking forward to the conclusion, and how they might set things up for TMP.

Brilliant! Inspired guest casting, I loved the Romulans, and Nicola Bryant plays the scheming megalomaniac very well!
Absolutely the best I've seen from them. It's a perfect fit for the end of TOS, and it's a crying shame that the greed of one person means that fan-films will most likely be dead after the Continues finale.

Their casting for that returning Romulan character was insane. Instantly recognized the character and did a double take. Unbelievable.

Same here! When she first appeared, for a split-second I thought they must be using footage from the original series.

The whole episode does such a great job of capturing the spirit of TOS. I can't get over the attention to detail. Really looking forward to going back and watching the other episodes.

When first in full costume and makeup, Amy had a picture taken on the planet set, made it B&W and sent it to her brother. He asked her why she was sending him pictures of their mom. :)
Anecdotes like this make me wish we had more 'behind-the-scenes' or 'making of' stuff from the Continues team. Sure the short bloopers bits are nice, but I want to see the fun, enjoyment, love and nerdy goofing around that goes into their hard work.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back