Star Trek Continues

Just finished watching. Good story. :)

Once again, this continues to easily be the best fan Trek production I've watched. It's far from perfect but for the most part it stays very true to the source material and it's certainly better acted than anything else out there.

Vic carries the show. It takes me about 5 mins to get used to a higher pitched Kirk but once I'm there he does the job. :thumbsup

Scotty's line at the dinner was perfect. Could have swore he was his father.

The only parts that seemed off to me were when they stepped over each others lines. Classical actors just didn't do that and it hurts the feel. Most notable was when McKenna and Kirk were arguing on the bridge. Didn't feel right for TOS Trek. I could also do without the cameos, this series is good enough on it's own that it doesn't need it. Daniel Logan was distracting and putting Ferigno in the green makeup was just asking for the Hulk comparison. :lol

All in all another good episode! Looking forward to more.

I haven't checked out the new episode yet, mostly because I was out with my woman today... I plan on checking it out tonight.

Overall, I love this series, but I'm not too jazzed on Grant Imaharas portrayal of Sulu... Clear-cut case of overacting (I thought it was a bad combination of an imitation of George Takei and William Shatner) which I hope has been seriously toned down for the new episode.

Overall, I love this series, but I'm not too jazzed on Grant Imaharas portrayal of Sulu... Clear-cut case of overacting (I thought it was a bad combination of an imitation of George Takei and William Shatner) which I hope has been seriously toned down for the new episode.

I think he's only got one or two lines in the whole thing.

Just finished watching the 2nd episode, Lolani, and I JUST LOVED IT! It really was totally in step with the Original Series' feel, from the characters, the sets, the costumes, the music, the acting, all the way to the storyline. I'm blown away and feeling completely nostalgic. I really loved the first episode that they did, and I was almost sure they couldn't pull off another as well, but I was completely wrong. They've nailed it and I couldn't be happier!

I can't get enough of this show...I'm a person that is very obsessed with film history and the various ways to imitate it, so things like lighting, makeup, and color grading really stand out to me, and I've gotta say, everything on the visual spectrum of this show was constructed by a truly devoted hand. Some people with a very intense appreciation of the original material made a big effort to replicate it as closely as possible, and I can't respect that enough...
Not to mention the set design (colored gradient backgrounds, yay!), which is a huge deal.

I swear, there's moments in these episodes where I can squint my eyes to blur the actor's faces a bit, and I'm convinced I'm watching TOS. The side-by-side comparison is mind-boggling.

If you want to complain about the story, acting etc. (personally I find the content just as devout as the visuals, but I'm not necessarily a "die hard" Trek fan so I may be missing the offensive parts. I think Vic does an uncanny Kirk, myself), do as you wish, but at the very least you've gotta hand the technical aspects to these guys as far as look and feel...they freaking NAILED it.

Good topic with relevance today, my own city had a recent raid on gangs that were trafficking in girls since their
usual drugs were getting harder to get.
Orion slave girls are yeah, actually slaves and Trek writers have never really
taken on that topic. It was always just a tool to show the exoticism of alien cultures, wink wink kind of thing for
male fantasy. Well this was a look closer into that and how it would be horrible.

On "Enterprise" they showed that the girls actually were in charge.

Sent from my Etch A Sketch.

There is a line by Lou in there that talks about how the males took control from the female "70 years ago." I guess I have to turn my geek card in too because I don't really know how far ahead of TOS that "Enterprise" is suppose to be but I would guess that is what they were referencing.

They really did a great job with some of the little moments if humor and banter. Really like the new Dr. McKenna and her relationship with Kirk.

I watched the new episode tonight and was simply amazed. DEFINITELY a good story, and I'm pleased to see that Grant didn't overdo it as Sulu!

I liked it, it seems to be firmly rooted in the style of story-telling of TOS. I wondered what this would be like when I first heard of these folks splitting off from the New Voyages people, and I think I prefer the direction they've taken. New Voyages (which was a much better name than Phase II) seems to now be much more self-congratulatory about which guest stars they have (but seriously, how many times can we have episodes where characters age to become Walter Koenig or George Takei). Then they said "Hey look, we're doing an episode that was planned for he actual Phase II!" forgetting that TNG did The Child, and that Kitumba is contradicted by everything else written about Kilngons). Oh, and just because those stupid dungarees/jumpsuits were designed for the actuall Phase II doesn't stop them looking like horrible 70's creations.

Continues doesn't look like they're trying to do stunt casting, or claim cred by their links to original scripts. They just went for solid writing of the classic style: moral/ethical dilemma with societal commentary, Kirk has important decision to make, Spock provides logic and reason, McCoy (or in this case Mckenna) provides the impassioned human argument, and Scotty white-knights with bluster for the damsel in distress. And you know what? It works. Plus the FX xhots of the ships looked far more like TOS then the remastered (which is where Phase II seems to be going)

I agree that Vic totally NAILS Kirk. It took me a minute to get used to the higher pitch of his voice (especially from a voice actor ;) ) but what blows my mind is that he's got Shatner's mannerisms down pat. The way he walks and swings his arms etc, totally nailed Shatner. It's so good, it's uncanny.

Todd Haberkorn is good as Spock as well. I think Chris Doohan is pushing the Scottish accent a bit. He needs to slow it down sometimes.

Grant would be great as Sulu if he just used his natural voice. I could look past the overacting since Grant's not an actor by trade, but when he tries to effect George Takei's deep voice, it sounds forced.

All in all, it's a great series. One of the things I like the most about it is that you can tell it was made by real fans of the original. It's a worthy successor in every way.

I agree there are still a few, shall we say, teething issues with regards to the acting styles. One thing I'm glad New Voyages/Phase II did was to NOT have the actors try and impersonate Shatner, Nimmoy, Takei, etc. So, for future Continues episodes, I'd much rather watch Vic playing Kirk (as he interprets the character), rather than him impersonating Shatner's portrayal of Kirk. The latter just invites too many comparisons to the original and adds an unnecessary disconnect between the performance and the story.

I was present at the world premier of Lolani at Sci Fi Expo Vic Mignogna, Todd Haberkorn, and the director (I don't remember his name sorry) were all there and did a Q & A after the premier. It was really a neat experience to have the episode introduced by Vic and then to be the first to watch it and then get to listen to the Q & A afterwards. All of them have such passion for Star Trek it was truly wonderful to sit and listen to true fans discussing trying to continue in TOSs footsteps.

I loved the story...it did what science fiction is supposed to do make a point about our society/humanity and do it in a way so that it is being told in a new way. Don't get me wrong I love Abrams star trek but I think that aspect of it is diminished in the newer versions. It delved into some really deep issues and did it wonderfully.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back