Star Trek Continues

Thanks for turning me on to this. Loved watching the latest episodes. Great sets and the filming/lighting is great!

Last edited:
I LOVED IT! FanTASTIC! . Everything was wonderful about it, the sets, the actors, the story, the sounds, etc. This was such a treat to watch. It was as if there had been a lost episode of TOS that just came to light and no one had seen before – like a lost treasure found again. It didn’t skip a beat. They captured the true spirit of the original show. They nailed it!

It was so obvious that people that really love and respect Star Trek created this, and that it was a labor of love and not money that motivated it. This is art, not commerce.

And it was wonderful to see Michael Forest reprise his role as Apollo. Wow! I’m just tickled pink about this!
(y)thumbsup:thumbsup

:love

Last edited:
NOTICE: They didn't remake the same story...they actually continued the old story along. It progressed, it didn't redress the same tale in shinier cloths. It was a great 'follow-up story'!

That wasn't half bad.
They done did good.
Indeed, good follow up story to Apollo, great ending.
Your still wondering if they made the right decision up until that.

I think Roddenberry would have been pretty impressed.

(And prefer it to JJ Trek) :p

Alrighty! Finally watched this. :)

For starters, this is the first time I've been able to sit through an entire episode of these fan series. That's a great start.

The Good:

- The ship looks like a model! Doug did some awesome work to make sure it looked that way and was shot like a model from that era of film would be shot. Absolutely brilliant. :thumbsup

- Vic is hands down the best Kirk I've seen second to Shatner. He understands the pacing and has a very similar physique to a 1960's bill. He even manages to mimic the "I'm sucking my gut in" walk. :lol:thumbsup

- Doohan, when he slows down, is a good Scotty.

- The story was good. A great follow up to Apollo's story.

- It was shot well and in the style of the original series (for the most part). The lighting may have been too contrasty in a couple scenes but it didn't detract from the overall feel which was very TOS.

- The sets and the props are perfect. :)

The "Meh" (I'm not gonna say bad, just could be better):

- It seems like someone injected helium into the Enterprise's air ducts. Most characters are a bit high pitched for my liking, however, that's better than:

- Sulu. This portrayal seems like someone doing their Sulu impression and not someone being Sulu. I felt he was weak.

- Spock and Bones. Both get certain aspects of the characters but don't quite nail it. Spock needs more of a presence and Bones seems a bit "prissy" to me. (there's probably a better word than that, I don't mean it to be offensive and it sounds that way).

- Scotty needs to slow down a bit more. When he does he's a dead ringer for his dad, he just needs to nail that pacing down.

- Using a gradient in the font of the opening credits was a mistake and kills the vintage feel.

- I also don't like the idea that Scotty invented the holodeck. Hurts the TOS feel.

All in all a good first entry. I'll be watching for more episodes. :)

- I also don't like the idea that Scotty invented the holodeck. Hurts the TOS feel.

Might be able to blame The Animated Series for that one.

Star Trek: The Animated Series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The USS Enterprise in this series, while supposedly the same ship as from the original series, had a holodeck very similar to the one introduced on Star Trek: The Next Generation, which was set approximately eighty years later. It only appeared once, in Chuck Menville's "The Practical Joker", and was known as the "Rec Room". This feature was originally proposed for the original series (see, e.g., Gerrold, The World of Star Trek) but was never used."

Might be able to blame The Animated Series for that one.

Star Trek: The Animated Series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The USS Enterprise in this series, while supposedly the same ship as from the original series, had a holodeck very similar to the one introduced on Star Trek: The Next Generation, which was set approximately eighty years later. It only appeared once, in Chuck Menville's "The Practical Joker", and was known as the "Rec Room". This feature was originally proposed for the original series (see, e.g., Gerrold, The World of Star Trek) but was never used."

Ya, but IIRC Gene specifically said that the animated series wasn't canon.

Either way, it's not a big deal and it was a great nod to Doug. Just is a little too contrived to me. :)

Does anyone know anything about the song that Apollo sings in the messhall? Is it original to the episode or is it an actual ancient song? I thought it was one of the most touching and poignant moments that I've seen in any Trek in a long time.

Ya, but IIRC Gene specifically said that the animated series wasn't canon.

Hes reportedly said a great deal of Trek wasnt canon in the past, so if something he thought up contradicted what he had written now he would ignore the earlier work. Sometimes I wish Roddenberry were around today so he could actually state categorically what he liked and didnt like instead of all the "rolling in his grave" assumptions people make... ah well.

Great effort with this film! its interesting with the different takes on the original characters, especially with them being my favourite crew; with the fan films, the JJ Trek movies and the guys and gals who started it all!

Hes reportedly said a great deal of Trek wasnt canon in the past, so if something he thought up contradicted what he had written now he would ignore the earlier work. Sometimes I wish Roddenberry were around today so he could actually state categorically what he liked and didnt like instead of all the "rolling in his grave" assumptions people make... ah well.

Oh I know, he was kinda all over the place, but the animated series is the only one that he wrote off the entire thing IIRC. Either way I didn't particularly like it then either. :lol

Exeter was pretty good, I do give them all credit though- I do not have the resources to do fan film on such a scale - but I agree generally the acting could use a lot of work.

alsomany of them are professional actors Star Trek Continues (TV Series 2013? ) - IMDb but yeah Grant from Mythbusters has to get his own take on Sulu.

I think the big disconnect that many actors have with trying to portray the characters from TOS is that the original cast were mostly classically trained actors, many from the stage. They have a different presence on screen where their moves and their facial expressions are more slow and deliberate for dramatic effect.

If you tell a modern actor that their character is excited they talk fast and are jittery. If you tell a more classical actor the same thing you'll get a very different portrayal that will be more in the facial features and body language and less in a fast delivery.

Case in point, Dr. Elise McKennah in her first couple of interactions with Kirk, gave a very modern portrayal of "excited" which didn't seem to fit. She was good in her quieter scenes but overall she didn't fit the "1960's actress" vibe. No real fault there, her portrayal was exactly what you would expect a modern actor to do. It's almost as if they need to not act those characters but act as 1960's actors playing those characters if that makes sense.

Also, timing is crucial to a classic actor, they would NEVER speak over someone and crowd their lines unless specifically told to. That's a more modern style and I noticed it a few times in this episode.

All that said, I can't act worth a damn. :lol I've directed though so I'm not totally off my rocker. ;)

Very good point period movment is field of study unto itself - (IIRC I read an article that we are speking slower than the 1920's) -I have yet to see the ST continues - but again I am an ok actor Carl Marchese - IMDb shameless plug and so-so director so I think we do look at this at little differently

Very good point period movment is field of study unto itself - (IIRC I read an article that we are speking slower than the 1920's) -I have yet to see the ST continues - but again I am an ok actor Carl Marchese - IMDb shameless plug and so-so director so I think we do look at this at little differently

My IMDB is so incomplete it's almost embarrassing. I should really fill it out some day. :lol

Re: "star trek continues"

Haven't seen the episode but you're located pretty close to the soundstage. They're down in Kingsland, GA, a little ways above Jacksonville, FL. They're having an open house Dec 7 that I'm taking my boys to so they can see the bridge, transporter room, etc. You're not too far if you could make a Savannah trip of it possibly.

Check farragutfest.com

I'm a bit confused. Doing a kickstarter to fund a Star Trek fan film/series goes against the allowances of having a Star Trek fan film/series. We are not allowed to bring one ONE PENNY or production is shut down. If you want to donate to the project, you have to donate to an individual involved with it who can then choose to use it for production costs.

Between this and the series that was pushing to get picked up as an actual Trek series, I'm gonna be pissed if we all get shut down.

/rant.

Also, to whomever it was a page or so ago (sorry, just saw this thread for the first time!) who mentioned having multiple episodes filmed and not finished with post-production, it's actually very common. It's often almost impossible to schedule an entire cast together on a weekend to film. Throw in real lives, prior commitments, paying acting gigs (majority of the people in our series are also professional actors and crew members who do this for fun) and conventions, etc, it can sometimes be almost a year before you can get everyone together again. Sometimes it works best to film as much as possible when everyone is available, then you work on post-production as you can. It's not uncommon to have two or three episodes in the can and be working on pre-production for another one while the first is still being edited.

Also the question of legal rights is complicated. Right now Paramount has the rights, though CBS *owns* the rights. Paramount has the rights so they can film and sell the movies and related merchandise. Which means you can currently get a C&D from either CBS or Paramount and they would both be just as legal. Paramount is far far worse from what my understand has been and from things I have heard.

Episode 2 of STC is currently underway here in Georgia. We are on day four of principle photography and everything is going great. I've started editing together behind the scenes videos that show some of what is going on, without giving away too much. You can find them on my youtube channel, and the Star Trek Continues facebook page:

TheProjectWorkBench - YouTube

Regarding the legality of doing a kickstarter to fund a trek project, I have no knowledge of the ins and outs of it. However, I do know for a fact that Star Trek Renegades got some really solid funding from crowdsourcing, and they were not shut down by Paramount or CBS. (I shot behind the Scenes for that project too)

My OPINION based on my experience is this: though paramount has the full legal authority to shut down any fan production, for any reason they see fit, they can also choose not to. So who knows.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back