Star Trek Continues

True, but I do t think a fan production has done a story where our heroes condone genocide.

There were a LOT of things amiss with that series for sure. I enjoyed it for what it was though.

It never seemed to strike that perfect Trek balance. Season 1 they were giving every one and their mother a tour of all the sensitive areas of the ship and then they head into season 3 on a genocidal reprisal.

And...

Professional actors acting as new characters. Makes a big difference.

Professional actors acting as new characters. Makes a big difference.

Different characters to an extent, but the one important factor that really brought this show down was having these new characters trapped in a show that still adhered to the same annoying tropes and cliches of Rick Berman's Star Trek. Even attempts to be different failed, like saying that hull plating is "offline". How does something like hull plating go offline? It honestly sounds like they wrote "shields" into the dialogue, thought that was too futuristic for Enterprise and simply changed shields into hull plating without changing anything else.

But the biggest strike against this "new" crew is serving onboard a ship called the Enterprise...... Well, hard to really be your own thing when the name of your show and your ship is dependent on an already famous line of ships. But don't worry, the creators had a plan! They wouldn't describe the Enterprise with a "THE"!

If the ship wasn't named Enterprise, I would have been more open towards this series since any other name wouldn't have screwed around with continuity.

"Enterprise" love/hate aside, I guess my point is this: I normally hate fan-made anything as far as productions go, but I've softened a bit on that stance. Were there some amateur looking shots/acting in the vignettes? A touch, but not the level I expected, which surprised me. I've worked on stuff with budgets in the millions that had the same problems.

Also, think about the fact that the first season or two of anything, some of the most beloved characters aren't yet what they will eventually become beloved for. Now, apply that to this Captain Kirk knowing that he isn't doing a Shatner impersonation. He has two things going against him: a) that version of Kirk IS Shatner and b) he's in the first episodes (season) of playing Kirk from a different angle.

Anyway, I may absolutely hate this, but I don't know yet. All that I've decided is to give it a chance.

These kinds of fan films were interesting at first to show what was possible as sort of proof of concept. They really should move on to doing a different ship and crew to reallly break free. Or eventually.... an original science fiction creation. I think that will be the next great leap to take things to the next level and I get rather excited about that.

Could there possibly be some legal/proprietary reasons why creating a new ship and characters outside of authorized canon would have something to do with it?

Different characters to an extent, but the one important factor that really brought this show down was having these new characters trapped in a show that still adhered to the same annoying tropes and cliches of Rick Berman's Star Trek. Even attempts to be different failed, like saying that hull plating is "offline". How does something like hull plating go offline? It honestly sounds like they wrote "shields" into the dialogue, thought that was too futuristic for Enterprise and simply changed shields into hull plating without changing anything else.

It wasn't the hull plating that was offline, it was the polarization. ;)

But yes, Berman started off alright and then got continually worse with DS9, Voyager, and finally Enterprise (I prefer Enterprise to both DS9 and Voyager though).

But the biggest strike against this "new" crew is serving onboard a ship called the Enterprise...... Well, hard to really be your own thing when the name of your show and your ship is dependent on an already famous line of ships. But don't worry, the creators had a plan! They wouldn't describe the Enterprise with a "THE"!

If the ship wasn't named Enterprise, I would have been more open towards this series since any other name wouldn't have screwed around with continuity.

Personally agreed. Although nobody would watch a show about the crew of the USS Yorktown. ;)

I think "Star Trek Continues" looks the most promising so far of the fan films. The Special Effects are better and so is the acting. The trailers have me looking forward to this. Even the phasers are in line with the old show in styling and features, but somehow has it's own style for this new show.

Last edited:
So far the vignetts have been very well done. The cast seems to like working together by how well they play off of each other. I'm looking forward to it.

I hope that they avoid the Phase II pitfalls of posting all of the teasers and upcoming episodes, then take years to finally get the episode out. They have almost as many (in production) episodes as they have had aired episodes and always talking about the next one filming.

BSG Apollo got redshirted!! Sulu and Bones need to work on their acting a bit. I think they're trying a bit too hard. Apart from that--nice episode!

I usually don't like these fan film much but this one seems to hit the right notes and tones, with the characters being close enough to the originals.

Not bad at all. The story was a nice continuation of Who Mourns for Adonais? and the writing and most of the acting was better than the average fan effort. Usually when a fan film uses an original series actor it just seems gimmicky but this one did not. Michael Forest did a good job carrying on the role after all these years. The special effects are nicely done as well. This actually felt like Star Trek and not some disjointed jumble of badly edited scenes thrown together.

On the negative side Grant Imahara needs to tone down his Sulu a little bit. Also I didn't like the implication Scotty and crew invented the holodeck, not everything in the Trek universe needs to be so centered on the Enterprise and crew. Besides we don't need holodeck stories in the original series timeline, it was done to death in TNG and Voyager so I hope they don't go there in the future.

On the super positive my tongue is on the floor side Michele Specht is absolutely beautiful.

Last edited:
Aside from some uneven acting from some, it captured the old series in camerawork, lighting, pace and tone. The best acting that matched the original series was the Scotty and Kirk characters. Spock and Uhuru are a close second. The new Checkov character did a good job in his brief prelaunch clip titled "You've got the Comm" (see below).

STC-V02: "You've Got The Conn" Vignette - YouTube

The special effects were very good and stayed within the style set by the series, but updated the quality.

As someone who saw the series when it first aired, I believe myself to be a tough critic and I give it a big thumbs up. If this series isn't picked up by CBSParamount they are crazy! They could bill it as a retro series, a continuation of a series, something never done before to this success.

Trek fans, this is a must watch series!!

Last edited:
Aside from some uneven acting from some, it captured the old series in camerawork, lighting, pace and tone.

Yeah, that's what really stood out for me. And although the effects are good, they are not too slick and I find that appealing and keeps me in universe so to speak. I agree Kirk was solid, it's a shame the actors voice is pitched a little too high.

Vic Mignogna does probably as good a job giving us the flavor of Kirk without direct imitation. A fine line to walk. I know us hardcore fans can still see Kirk and the old cast in our minds as we watch this, but Vic and the supporting people should be majorly applauded for an effort that meets the high bar us fans set for an effort like this. It's normal to compare details against the original series, but as a first show I'm absolutely stunned by the quality of this effort on a shoestring budget.

Roddenberry must be smiling from his "Realm".

I must say again that Chris Doohan, as Scotty, does a superb job! Probably my favorite. Being the son of James Doohan, the original Scotty, helps. His acting, is in my opinion, one of the high points.

Last edited:
I was genuinely blown away by this! The acting was solid. Vic as Kirk was amazing! It really did feel like an actual episode of Star Trek. The sets were of course phenomenal! The only down side to me was Spock. The actor just didn't look quite right as him, and he is too much taller than Kirk (As compared the Shatner and Nimoy) Other than that, WOW! At first I was thinking that they were going to give New Voyages/Phase II some stiff competition, but by the end of the episode I realized that Phase II could not compete with this new series. If every episode is like this, we are all in for a big treat!

And was that THE Marina Sirtis as the computer voice?

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back