Buffy The Vampire Slayer - Buffy Summers, Sunnydale High Cheerleader (Witch, S1E3)

misskittyboo

I've been a Buffy fan for around 8 or 9 years since I caught a few episodes on television and was re-introduced by my sister not long after and became hooked. I watch it (along with Angel and most other Whedon series) annually and still adore it as much as ever. Last year I was fortunate enough to attend Supa Nova in Adelaide (South Australia) where James Marsters, Luke Perry, Felicia Day and Morena Bacarin would be guests and decided it was the perfect time to finally bring some of my Buffy costume ideas to fruition.

All of my Buffy costumes to date have been made by collaborating with a local dress maker. I did the research, scouted the fabric, buttons and any props then provided her with everything she would need (along with detailed photographs and instructions) and let her skilled hands do the rest of the work. I originally started corresponding with her in mid July and had the costumes by 14th November - ready for Supa Nova 2012.

oh, just to be pre-emptive... before the "it would've look way better with a blonde wig" comments start - let me explain. For at least 19 of my 22 years on this earth I have had blonde hair... due to my impeccable timing though, I finally got to create and wear the Buffy costumes I had envisioned since I was 14 BUT I now had red hair. I have worn wigs in the past for other events and by the end of the night I couldnt not wait to get them off my head - having my medium/long length hair tucked away underneath fake hair isn't the most comfortable. Not to mention - a personal quirk of mine... the previous times I had worn wigs I ended up dying my hair that colour within months and given the money and time it would take to dye my hair back blonde now I thought I'd hold off on the wig rather than trying to resist the urge later. Also, knowing I would be spending a good part of 2 days in these costumes - comfort won out.

Buffy Summers - Sunnydale Cheerleader (Witch, S1E3)

"My buds are here! I love my buds!"

I had originally tried to buy a cheerleading skirt from suppliers online, or ordering from uniform shops that stocked them - however, most uniform stockists and cheerleading associations only like to sell in bulk lots and didn't care to make one in the colours I requested. In the end the skirt was made from scratch by a local dress maker. I bought the fabric and trim from spotlight ($15) - along with a pattern for a cheerleader skirt and dropped it off with photographs for her to reference. As it was spring here at the time I bought the yellow v-neck shirt online ($30) and had it embroidered by a professional (for $70). The pom-poms were actually far easier than I had expected to locate - I found a website in Australia who made custom coloured pom poms in different sizes and I had them 3 days later ($30). The 90's style black sneakers she had worn luckily for me looked a lot like Van's so I found some knock off at a cheap shoe store ($20).
Approx total: $165 + $55 dress making cost.

Don't forget to check out my other two Buffy costumes as well!
Buffy Summers, Doublemeat Palace Uniform (Doublemeat Palace, S6E12)
Buffy Summers, Anne the waitress - (Anne, S3E1)

Last edited:
Re: Buffy The Vampire Slayer - Buffy Summers, Sunnydale High Cheerleader (Witch, S1E3

Nice group shot! James Marsters isn't pulling such a weird face here, which makes him look a lot better. Morena and Felicia look lovely as ever.

Re: Buffy The Vampire Slayer - Buffy Summers, Sunnydale High Cheerleader (Witch, S1E3

Nice pics, it's rare to see cool Buffy costumes on the boards (or at a con), its especially nice to see some obscure ones. You ever consider doing dark Willow?

You ever consider doing dark Willow?
Oh ! That would be cool.
You would look good as a Dark Willow.
Or the evil Vampire Willow.
THAT would be AWSOME !!

Oh I remember seeing you at Supa Nova! My boyfriend and I commented to each other on how fantastic you looked. Well done - costume is great!

Awesome work. Love Buffy, been a fan from the start, great job! :thumbsup

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back