Dredd 2012 Custom Badge (3D Printed and soon to be molded)

Hi All. I recently watched the recently released Blu-Ray of Dredd and was very impressed. I think I have found my Halloween 2013 costume. I don't even care that most of my friends and family don't know who he is! I decided to start with the the most iconic part of Dredd's costume, the badge. I spend way too much time on CAD every day so using 3D was a no brainer. Here are some of my WIP pics:

front.jpg

iso.jpg

rendered.jpg

I then had the models printed at our local vendor:

IMG_3604.JPG

I also got the idea here, (thanks andyface), to do a modular badge in case other people wanted their own custom badges.

IMG_3602.JPG

Next step, trying to cast the badge with brass powder. It'll be my first simple mold, so let's see how this goes!

Last edited:
looks great!!
will u be making a run of badges?

Thanks for the positive feedback guys. I would like to make a run of these. Of course I need to actually mold one first. As I stated, I have never done a mold before, but I do know the steps and little tricks here and there.

I'll keep you posted and maybe a few more wip pics here and there. When I'm complete, if there's still interest, we'll see. As you may have noticed, I'm a new member on here, so it'll be a little while before I can make any announcements. :$

Here's an update with some cast badges:

First castings
IMG_3612.JPG

The Rookies:
IMG_3614.JPG

IMG_3615.JPG

The Seasoned:

IMG_3617.JPG

The Hardcore:

IMG_3618.JPG

For some reason, the weathered pics don't show much of the brass color. Must be the lighting. They started out the same color as the rookies, but with various degrees of weathering.

New and improved badges..

"Battle damaged" and "Standard issue"
IMG_3677.JPG

This is a custom badge for my cousin for his birthday.
IMG_3678.JPG

These are less weathered than the last batch. I think I went a little overboard last time. :lol

I just saw the PropStore auctions and it is a treasure trove of pics. I remodeled the badge and here are the results:

Badge%20Rev%202-4.jpg

Badge%20Rev%202-2.jpg

compare.jpg

There are small difference between my Rev 1 and Rev 2 badges, but I am very confident that this one of the most screen accurate badges out there. Now to call in a couple favors to get this 3D printed and molded! :lol

My only concern with these badges without anyone getting a hand on a real one... what are you guys basing the size on? I'm not looking for the exact cm accurate. But, I don't want something to big/small and basically ruin the rest of the build (for the vest).

That, unfortunately, is the part that no one seems quite sure about. The picture I had placed the badge close to a zipper pull. I took an average looking pull which looked similar and based it on that, (i.e. height=5 zipper pulls). Before that, I basically looked at how tall the badge was compared to the helmet and face of the actor and based it on my own face, (i.e roughly from my chin to eye). The good news is that the model is scalable, so whenever the true size is determined, I can scale the model since I know the proportions are correct based on the overlay, and print a new badge.

The kicker also is the fact that all the movie badges I've seen all look almost hand-made. There are subtle differences in all of them! Another example is the name itself. My model had all the lettering perfectly aligned. The real badge lettering looked like it was carved by hand.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back