Gravity (Post-release)

Also, this isn't more than a very minor spoiler but.... I loved that Ed Harris was mission control in the movie. It was a great nod to Apollo 13.

I saw a preview screening on Thursday night. It was only a 2D showing, but I typically do that since my eyes don't always adjust to the glasses properly. All things considered, this movie rocked. The details, the clarity, the story and its pacing... they worked well. And it kept its focus tight without muddling it with any side story. And I must say, for a space geek like me who tends to follow things a bit more closely than the average movie goer, they did things I didn't think ANY movie production would ever do and seemed to get a lot of things right. Sure, the bit of sticking the Hubble and the ISS in the same orbital plane seemed a bit of a stretch, but hey, at the end I was quite happy that the manned space program didn't end up experiencing THAT kind of a disaster either as I did almost shed a couple tears in spots for what I was seeing on screen and how it almost seemed like a punch in the gut... the same punch in the gut I last felt on February 1, 2003.

ERCboxoffice: "WB's GRAVITY rocketed past all earthly expectations, launching with $55.5M--the highest October debut of all-time."

raysubers: "59 percent of GRAVITY's audience was over 35 years old. Can't imagine any other movie has opened over $50M w/ such an old crowd."

Last edited:
I saw this in IMAX and 3D today and it was AMAZING. An EXCELLENT movie. My dad works at NASA and I'm going to tell him to see it ASAP. That should be easy with the furloughs!! :lol

I saw Gravity Saturday night and loved it. Even though there were a ton of technical details they got wrong, it's a tense, action packed movie. Clooney was,,,, well Clooney. SB stole the show and she did an amazing job. I saw it in IMAX 3D which was incredible. It was visually stunning and I was ducking out of the way during the debris scenes. See it in the theater because I'm not sure how it will translate to the small screen when released on blu-ray.

I saw it this afternoon with my wife. You MUST see it on IMAX and 3D if at all possible, it's a jaw-dropping experience! :thumbsup
Yep, I'll buy the DVD for certain and might even go again alone to see it like that one more time!
The amount of stuff they got right blew me away (I almost cheered when she disengaged the Soyuz using the right controls). That said, it's best if you don't know too much about the space program and how impossible it'd be for a shuttle, ISS and the Chinese stuff to be that close to one another, and the reality of orbital planes is thrown out the door in the plot. Just go with it and you'll never see non-sci-fi space movies the same way ever again.

I saw it just a little bit ago. While I did enjoy it for the most part, I found it to be a bit long... kinda like the whole "ok, let's get it over with... what's the next peril she's going to face." I found the movie got terribly claustrophobic as it continued - the director did a great job of conveying that tight, close quarters - but again, almost to the point of it being a bit tedious.

I passed on the IMAX and 3D - I'm not a fan of either, really (and after watching Wizard of Oz in 3D this morning, I just couldn't take more of it)... but I can see how this would benefit in some scenes... but, overall I'm just not sold on it.

I thought it was very solid, the effects were great. Clooney and Bullock didn't bother me but didn't really do much to make me think they were anything but already solid actors.

spoiler

I did not like Clooney's reappearance. At all. Too gimmicky and too predictable.

The most amazing part of this movie is that Sandra Bullock is 49 years old. Holy heck!

I heard she bathes in the blood and tears of orphaned Vietnamese children in order to sustain her youth. Kidding aside this was one of her best performances. I don't even like her as an actress and I liked her in this movie.

Saw it in 3D Imax yesterday. This is one of those movies where you just go "Damn!" when it is over. Bullocks character had the worst day at work any woman in the space program could have. Ever. 90 minutes of one intense emotional and visual ride. It's not even worth commenting on how good the visual effects are. You are literally "there" when watching the film.

Excellent flick, and well worth experiencing in the theater. Don't wait to watch it at home. This is the type of movie 3D Imax was made for.

Excellent flick, and well worth experiencing in the theater. Don't wait to watch it at home. This is the type of movie 3D Imax was made for.
Agreed.
JD mentioned a few posts ago that he's not sold on 3D. As a general concept, I agree with him totally. I'm not a big fan of 3d movies, I'm really not. But I have talked with several people at Johnson Space Center (yes, one who's an astronaut) and all have said it's an amazing movie, they all said it must be experienced in 3D.
They were right.

Apparently folks at nasa were impressed by this movie.

But they're currently all laid-off and have nothing better to do then to watch movies. Meanwhile no one is watching the ISS and it is being hit by micrometeoroids as we speak...

Actually NASA mission control, watching the two people on the space station, never shut down. There are over 500 people working at NASA with over 1500 on call at any moment.

Just saw it in IMAX 3D.

WOW!!!

Go see it in 3D IMAX. Probably the first time i have said that and not regretted it!

Actually NASA mission control, watching the two people on the space station, never shut down. There are over 500 people working at NASA with over 1500 on call at any moment.
There are two mission controls that deal with the ISS, one at Houston and the other at Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville, AL. The latter is primarily for the payload ops, but can function as a full misison control. I've been to both several times and it's amazing to be in either room...
And NO, they haven't shut down.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back