Iron Man eye lenses the EASY way.

JUICE

Hey guys. There are alot of good methods for doing the eyes here and I thought I would share mine too. I like the curved look and I also like the recessed look so I kinda did both. I made the trim pieces rounded to the faceplate and made the lenses longer than the cutouts to make them look recessed and keep the flat lense look.

Here is how I did it.

First, I laid in a sheet of styrene following the curve of the faceplate for each eye with hot glue. Then I marked the cutouts for the lenses and cut them out with a sharp razor. Then I painted these trim pieces flat black inside and out.

Next, I assembled two rectangular boxes with white styrene on the rear, top, bottom, and outer sides with model cement. The inner side was left out for the leds. Then I cut the outer lens from a see through stencil. It has a smooth side and a textured side. I placed the smooth side out. I applied flat black paint to the edges of the boxes and carefully placed the lenses on them using the paint as glue.

Then I mounted them to the trim plates with hot glue. Leds will be added as soon as I can get them. It will look like the War Machine pic below when lit up.

The styrene sheets are .030 in. I got a 5 pack made by Plastruct from Hobbytown USA for $5.99. The stencil is made by Plaid and comes in a pack with more than one sheet but I can't remember how many. They were cheap as well and from Walmart. The flat black paint is oil based by Rustoleum in a 1/2 pint can also from Walmart.

I had to throw in a pic of my other helmets too. :love

16jhvcw.jpg

ofypmd.jpg

2uqobop.jpg

24yyfza.jpg

Thanks. I got the leds installed today in between cutting the templates for the new war machine helmet. It looks pretty good to me. It's only one 10mm ultra high brightness per eye mounted in the center with hot glue. I covered the back of the lens with black foam so I could see better.

9fn0gp.jpg

2qnpk3m.jpg

anf287.jpg

mt8l0o.jpg

2cy4ba0.jpg

I would recommend a better showcase display. That white shelf just isn't doing you're collection justice. Maybe something a bit more Tony Stark-esque, metal, glass, and EL's everywhere. :lol

I know, right. It's one of the many projects on the never ending list. I have to have all the other helmets first though.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back