Heath Ledger Joker...another one but a real good one

Honestly, I don't know what the problem is here. It still takes talent to do what you're doing. I think it looks great as do all your sculpts. Just because a life mask, 3D print or not is being used doesn't change the fact it takes a lot of work to make this happen. Keep up the great work.

Reel

It does take a lot of work still but obviously not as much as something done from photos alone. Also, as monteburns said, it takes a lot of the guess work out of it as all the essential form is already there.

I think the problem comes when someone tries to pass off a modified life cast as a sculpture.

Guys it's looks awesome. Rich never fails to deliver.
Do you have the 3D prints for Bane...as that needs to be converted if so

Loving this! I was hoping someone would turn that scan into the whole deal.

This will be the definitive Joker sculpt, even if you did "cheat " ;)

I don't consider this "cheating" at all, more like utilizing today's technology.

Great work so far guys I really can't wait to see the final product.

I don't feel that using this 3D scan technology or lifecasts as cheating whatsoever but is instead a tool for achieving the absolute best likeness possible.

3D printing is easily the future of the replica prop hobby & the best way to capture an iconic look or prop from any movie.:thumbsup

I don't feel that using this 3D scan technology or lifecasts as cheating whatsoever but is instead a tool for achieving the absolute best likeness possible.

3D printing is easily the future of the replica prop hobby & the best way to capture an iconic look or prop from any movie.:thumbsup

I agree.

I know some sculptors who shun such material when its available though as if it Is somehow "cheating ". Silly IMO.

It's all personal choice.
It you are sculpting for the joy of creating something from nothing, or altering and reworking a scan or cast. Both are really cool I think and not so different.

Can't wait to see more!

Forgive my ignorance, but after obtaining the various 3D scans, what was used to produce the first raw build? I assume it was a 3D printer or CNC machine? This would make a proportionately accurate model but lack nice detail. Then a talent like Fettster would make a negative, pour clay and sculpt fine detail.
I'm assuming this is how it's done?

What a fantastic use of technology.....looking great.

I will get my hands on a Hellboy bust one day :(

Forgive my ignorance, but after obtaining the various 3D scans, what was used to produce the first raw build? I assume it was a 3D printer or CNC machine? This would make a proportionately accurate model but lack nice detail. Then a talent like Fettster would make a negative, pour clay and sculpt fine detail.
I'm assuming this is how it's done?

It was 3D printed and yes that's pretty much how it was done. The printer picked up more skin detail than you would expect though.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back