Name this foam for modelling

ziffa27

Hey all,
I am not sure if this is the right place but if not let me know and i will move it.
However, I need some help with some information please.
I would like to know the exact name of a material and from where i can buy it, if possible from Europe otherwise anywhere in the world.
The material is a blue foam i think it is called 'extruded polystyrene' the best thing about it is that you can using a pencil to shape/curve it.
PS. if i can know also the density it will be awesome.

Please find a link for a YouTube video demonstrating this foam in action
Farkash... Vision... Foam... Mountains! - YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:
Extruded polystyrene, or XPS, is easily obtained in the US (and I assume other countries) as sheets of home insulation at local home improvement stores.

Extruded polystyrene, or XPS, is easily obtained in the US (and I assume other countries) as sheets of home insulation at local home improvement stores.

Thanks a lot Szyntax but i am serching for the one in the youtube video which i am not sure if it Extruded polystyrene for sure however i would like to know and from whee i can buy it.

we use that all the time on my course, we call it chemi foam. It comes in various different densities, I believe the blue is the softest they do. I just picked up this today for £15

DSCF3703.jpg

I can find out tomorrow the correct name for it if you like?

we use that all the time on my course, we call it chemi foam. It comes in various different densities, I believe the blue is the softest they do. I just picked up this today for £15

I can find out tomorrow the correct name for it if you like?

Thanks a lot welshwarrior123 and yes if you can find out the name it will be awesome.
Also if you can send me a link maybe i will really appriteated because i am from Malta :)

Hey there,

I just built Helm's Deep for a LotR miniature game with that blue insulation foam (Chemi foam). I don't think the blue material in the vid is the same stuff. If you look at the vid closely (e.g. at 4.41) you see the guy sculpting the foam as if it was some sort of foamy clay, the pencil tool carves it in a way I don't recognize happening with the blue insulation foam.

The insulation foam is great stuff, though, easy to sculpt and cost efficient, I use it too, but it's probably not the same as you are looking for, ziffa27.

Best,
v

The material in the video looks like it has a similar density to a product available in the UK called Oasis foam, which is used for floral arrangements.
It is widely available on the net but generally in small blocks and moulded shapes.
You could easily carve it using the pencil method but it would need hard coating so it could be handled.
I think that it's a urethane based product.

Welshwarrior123's blue boards are a standard polystyrene insulation product and are widely available from a building supply / insulation companies.

The artist in the vid says the foam is used for large scale props and he has not seen it used for something that scale. I think if it was floral foam he'd says "it's the stuff they use for floral arrangements"

Hey there,

I just built Helm's Deep for a LotR miniature game with that blue insulation foam (Chemi foam). I don't think the blue material in the vid is the same stuff. If you look at the vid closely (e.g. at 4.41) you see the guy sculpting the foam as if it was some sort of foamy clay, the pencil tool carves it in a way I don't recognize happening with the blue insulation foam.

The insulation foam is great stuff, though, easy to sculpt and cost efficient, I use it too, but it's probably not the same as you are looking for, ziffa27.

Best,
v
Hey Avanaut, thanks a for the replay, i know the normal blue foam which one it is and i know it is not the one in the video.
I would like to find and buy foam like the one in the video.
Also please remember that i live in Malta so it have to be through internet unfortunately i cannot go to buy it by car.

The material in the video looks like it has a similar density to a product available in the UK called Oasis foam, which is used for floral arrangements.
It is widely available on the net but generally in small blocks and moulded shapes.
You could easily carve it using the pencil method but it would need hard coating so it could be handled.
I think that it's a urethane based product.

Welshwarrior123's blue boards are a standard polystyrene insulation product and are widely available from a building supply / insulation companies.
Hey Pro Mod thanks for your replay,
Yes the first time i saw the video i said it can be the same as floral arrangements foam but i wasn't 100%.
I don't worry for the coating because i will use 'Foam Coat' from the 'Hot Wire Foam Factory'
Re 'Welshwarrior123' foam if it is a normal foam is not what i need.

Hey Gorgot3000 and thanks for the reply,
This is the same as Pro Mod mentioned right and you can curve in it with a pencil?

The artist in the vid says the foam is used for large scale props and he has not seen it used for something that scale. I think if it was floral foam he'd says "it's the stuff they use for floral arrangements"
Hey Szyntax and thanks for the reply,
So you think it is 'floral foam' like the others?

[highlight]
Side note:
I have sent an email to the person in the video and i asked him which type of foam is that and this is his reply {The foam used in the “mountain carving” video is a product called Trymer 2000 XP. It is primarily sold at stores that carry packaging & insulation items. We use Thorpe, a company out of Irving, Texas.}
If anyone can help me find foam like this to buy online i will be very thankful
[/highlight]

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back