1:1 Millennium Falcon Escape Pods - GROUP DESIGN

Here's a better look at the official escape pods from our Millennium Falcon Owner's Workshop Manual...
haynes_escape.jpg

How about the escape pods are cylinders that when activated "expand". Kind of like a telescope?

That would solve the height issue.

They would have to expand a lot. Since there were already several huge issues with the Falcon's height I didn't might cheating it for the escape pods as well. If I had complete freedom I might have changed their location, but it would difficult to put that many pods anywhere in the ship.

I'm stuck between staying true to the original / approved design(s) and taking artistic liberties and just having fun with it. :)

I'm stuck between staying true to the original / approved design(s) and taking artistic liberties and just having fun with it. :)

I've said it before but I'm of the mind that if there's an "approved" design you should stick as close to that as possible. Otherwise fans are going to see it and say "that's not what it's supposed to look like!".

Several thoughts, to build a round escape pod, have you considered a small weather balloon to give you the size, like the ones that have been used by people to send their cell phones and cameras up to the atmosphere limit. Inflate one to the proper size then resin it to build your "Ball", then mold it to make a negative mold, then glass fiber and resin to build it.

Similar to : http://bellwetherreports.wordpress.com/2011/10/03/take-shelter-in-a-floating-tsunami-pod/

http://newcosmopower.com/

http://inhabitat.com/prefab-friday-remote-igloo-shelter/ is a section dome that give you the idea of making your own mold and section together a pod.

For the elongated escape pod, possibly expanding. I did some stuff with plastic 55 gallon barrels many years ago, where we fit a 30 gallon inside a 55 gallon barrel for a biodigester. I think you could modify that style to make an expanding escape pod. Maybe slice a barrel lengthwise and add in a strip to enlarge it, with the expanding portion possibly being another 55 gallon of 30 gallon barrel. Go to : https://energypedia.info/index.php/Types_of_Biogas_Digesters_and_Plants#Gas-Holder it should take you down to the floating drum, which is similar to what we built, to give you the idea. If you split 1 barrel and put in a section to increase the diameter, you could have the second barrel slide in and out to "expand" the pod.

And I seem to recall a diagram where there were 5 escape pods in the I think the port docking ring, they needed to be pulled out, loaded then ejected. They were 1 person pods and were stored collapsed 2 on each side of the corridor and the fifth under the floor board. I cannot remember where I saw it that diagram though, I think it was the turbolaser commentaries (I THINK) not sure. But expanded they were 2 meters tall and 1.5 meters across. That is all I can remember about that.

Last edited:
You're building it, I'm just throwing ideas, maybe one or two stick maybe they don't. One thing I thought of was the inflatable "Bod pod" from the Bujold Vorkosigan seies. Which is I believe based on an actual NASA and ESA design.

Ahh true.. I do remember a story I think it was fanfic but it may have been one of the compilation novels about Han using an escape pod to exit the falcon to do repair on the hull. So an actual escape pod might have (might) extendable arms. Or that could be particular to the Falcon's pods.

I love the idea of something like a ball turret for the escape pod, maybe with an engine setup similar to what the Tantive escape pod has.

As long as we're discussing styles of small, ball shaped space pods, this, and the many variations of it, might be a decent source of inspiratioRB-79 Ball. Something like this variant but without the arms is what I would picture.

I like the ball turret design as well. I'm not ready to attempt something that unique of a design. Unless I can find a something prefabricated???

I'm thinking this doesn't exactly have to be MF linked. I might just do it for fun and give the pod the MF treatment with details and weathering. :)

Came across this thread yesterday looking for images. I've been doing a plan for years in the old style, Brown/Bonura, with the aim of making the interior set fit in a design as it was meant to be. To do this the scale of the Falcon needs to be about 51% up on the Empire set plans. In the process I fine-tuned a system for the escape pods. Bonura-style system, after its inventor. I haven't looked up what scale you are doing the full scale version in, but my version will fit in the proper proportioned hull at 51%. At least it might give you some ideas.
MF%20plan%20-%2010%2001%20escapepod%20pbucket_zps5xu0qs2u.png
[/URL][/IMG]
Imagine the system as an old six-shooter revolver when looking end-on. The pods rotate around the circumferrence of the Docking-ring, then drop down from above, you enter - pod fires. This system can give you about 21 escape pods. The additional hull thickness in this plan is due to the height being based on the entire virtical height of the gun-wells. This gives the Docking-Ring 'ridges' a 4 degree slope rather than the set angle of about 2 degrees.

Last edited:
As an escape pod, this should have a very little window (like a Mercury Capsule and the original pod)...it's a rough landing and any window would break while that bucket is hitting the ground.

Saw this thread resurrected, and expected discussion of this recent revelation from The Last Jedi Visual Dictionary:

TLJ_MF_escape_pod.png

Space coffin.

Always liked the look of the cylindrical ones, as if those pieces on the Falcon actually pop out as escape pods. Not a fan of the "official" ones.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back