1:1 Millennium Falcon Escape Pods - GROUP DESIGN

Hi Gang,

Here are my ideas for the escape pod. :) Let me know what you guys think!

1-5.jpg
2-1.jpg

In this pic I have the pod blasting out of the "loading ramp side". I couldn't find a pic of the opposite side... :)

Question on these desings.
Han supposed to eject the escape pods before they enter the death star. Logicaly we should see some empty holes on the sides once its landed on the hangar.
That that scenario of the empty holes is not possible (since we see them sealed in the movie), can we assume that the hatch door opens and closes in a way after the pod is lauched (like the hatch doors when lando saves luke from bespin)?
That might narrow the design references and ideas.

-Angel

I think Han would have modified the pod with guns
Afterall,he IS trying to escape!He seems like the kind
of guy that would think of that.
BTW-great pre viz'

Last edited:
Question on these desings.
Han supposed to eject the escape pods before they enter the death star. Logicaly we should see some empty holes on the sides once its landed on the hangar.
That that scenario of the empty holes is not possible (since we see them sealed in the movie), can we assume that the hatch door opens and closes in a way after the pod is lauched (like the hatch doors when lando saves luke from bespin)?
That might narrow the design references and ideas.

-Angel

Hi A,

Those images were nothing more than a concept I created had the escape pods ejected from the docking area - I was taking artistic liberties and wanted to see what it would look like had they ejected from that area. I added all the blast particals for effect and give it movement. :)

It turns out that the escape pods are actually behind the gunner stations, under the floor, in between the rear landing gear. They are a smaller version of the escape pods from the Tantive IV. We can assume Han didn't have all the escape pods and changed the flight logs to reflect they had been jetisoned after takeoff...

Great artwork G, definitely the way to go on styling, a sort of 50's view of retro futuristicness. Plenty of rivets and bubble wrap.

Keep in mind that the pod will need to be larger than a B-17 turret - they were tiny!

The design allows for a humanoid; what about poor astromech droids?

I could also envision a small panel folding down from the top (by the knees/shins), the panel containing a navigation HUD ...

Just to throw in some images from the Haynes Falcon Manual

The book illustrates the escape pods to be at the rear of the craft behind the cargo lift

p1050459c.jpg

p1050460.png

p1050458e.jpg

J

Looking at the escape pod above and where/how they're positioned in the MF... I don't think it's physically possible for them to fit much less have 5? This dang ship of riddles just gets more and more confusing! ;)

Keep in mind that the pod will need to be larger than a B-17 turret - they were tiny!

The design allows for a humanoid; what about poor astromech droids?

I could also envision a small panel folding down from the top (by the knees/shins), the panel containing a navigation HUD ...

..I don't think Solo was too bothered about travelling with droids, but he'd have been in trouble if the escape pods on the Falcon couldn't accomodate a Wookie!

I'm liking the ball/turret designs.
This cut away makes the most sense to me http://crommo.files.wordpress.com/20...ss-section.jpg
but thats a long way from the cockpit.
I always poured over the schematics available in the RPG and such and couldn't rationalize the cargo lift, hold, and escape pods in the floor back there with such thin engines. The hull deffinitely isn't thick enough in the aft and if most people have to stoop a little under the starboard docking collar to go up the ramp then the hull isnt high enough off the ground to warrant a lift in the floor.

Last edited:
Looking at the escape pod above and where/how they're positioned in the MF... I don't think it's physically possible for them to fit much less have 5? This dang ship of riddles just gets more and more confusing! ;)

The diameter fits, but of course not the height. It should be noted that the ingress/egress hatch is the entire top ring (the rectangular thing on the side is a supply storage hatch). The location of the pods lines up with "doors" on the exterior of the ship. At least we defined them as doors when expanding on the original layout from Incredible Cross-Sections.

The hull isn't thick enough in the aft. I always poured over the schematics available in the RPG and such and couldn't rationalize the cargo lift, hold, and escape pods back there with such thin engines.

The entire ship is like that from the very beginning. The Falcon would have to be more than twice the thickness to have the gun turrets like it does in the films.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back