1:1 Millennium Falcon Escape Pods - GROUP DESIGN

A ball that big would likely be a custom-made plastic piece and quite expensive, especially in clear. I'm thinking it would be in the thousands. You might be able to find an exsiting spherical object though- think along the lines of plumbing, underground tanks, etc.

Mark

Yes, Sir! It would be part of the Full Scale Falcon build! :)

Ball turrets, lol!

AV3-B-17%20Ball%20Turret.jpg

B17 stylie. Maybe worth consideration in the design.
If the sphere was made of solid material, individual panes could be cut in, then plexi might work to bend into the curve, maybe something like a rounded version of the cockpit windshield? It would also give the added benifit of easier and cheaper repairs (in case the shields go down!) :lol

If the sphere was made of solid material, individual panes could be cut in, then plexi might work to bend into the curve, maybe something like a rounded version of the cockpit windshield? It would also give the added benifit of easier and cheaper repairs (in case the shields go down!)

I was thinking if I couldn't find anything online i could build a wood frame, fill with foam, sand smooth and then lay fiberglass. I've done a lot of fiberglass work so I wouldn't be in the dark. That would be a LOT of work... But also fun! :)

Hi Gang,

With the basic shape of the escape pod appearing to be a simple ball... The exterior design seems somewhat straight forward. I seem to be stuck on the interior console design. I've been sketching away and have thown away more designs than kept... Brain Fart in process... lol

I'm calling on your imaginations to help create an interior for the 1 man pod. :)

I'd keep it really simple. One or two panels of buttons & switches, a seat (similar to the seating in the lounge area perhaps?) and maybe a joystick beside the seat to pilot the thrusters.

I've been looking at cross sections of the ball turrets and I have a basic idea of the where the instruments and surrounding greeblies will go but I can't visualize them. Brain Fart...

For the window, personally I think recreating the Falcon cockpit style is a bit gimmicky. I'd go with something more like this (also serving as the hatch):

medium_escapepod.jpg

I've been looking at cross sections of the ball turrets and I have a basic idea of the where the instruments and surrounding greeblies will go but I can't visualize them. Brain Fart...

Don't get too hung up on the ball turret interior, you don't have a massive gun to fit in there. ;)

All you really need is a panel of instruments (greeblies), a joystick, a seat, and a first aid kit. Everything else is gravy.

Here's a 10 second sketch of what I mean. Left is a side view and right is the view from the back.

The left wall juts out from the side of the ball creating a flat surface (I came out a bit too far in my sketch). The lower half of that surface is a compartment for supplies. There's a bunch of buttons and switches (add pin striping as you see fit) and there's a small first aid kit at the top (which could just go into the compartment).

The chair is the same style as the rings in the Falcon corridors and there's a small joystick on the right side of it. You would have a little light directly above the chair.

Last edited:
I've got an interesting sketch going right now - can't post image until I get home.

Basics: Hatch opens from above and slides down behind seat. Pilot / occupant jumps in and slips down into a sort of OBGYN position (that's really the best way I can explain it - lol). The feet are positioned above to the lft/rt of the front window. There is a flight control on one side and gunner control on the other and then foot pedals also near window. Small thrusters are directly behind the seat...

Scroll down a little - shows ball turret seating position
B-17 Basics

Last edited:
Was just having a look around the ship for ideas and thought the removable floor part and wall panel at the back and to the right looked familiar.

Possibly parts of an actual turret housing.

Technically... Han's comment allows us to do virtually anything! And of course, Han prefers if his enemies shoot first! ;)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back