1:1 Millennium Falcon Escape Pods - GROUP DESIGN

Hi Gang,

Here are my ideas for the escape pod. :) Let me know what you guys think!

1-5.jpg

In this pic I have the pod blasting out of the "loading ramp side". I couldn't find a pic of the opposite side... :)
2-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

I don't think the pods would burst out from the sides of the Falcon like that. They had already mentioned that several of the escape pods were missing yet the side hatches on the Falcon were still there.

I do like your designs though.

they said several escape pods were missing, but that would be just one, or if on both sides 2. besides there isn't enough room to house escape pods in those sections. The west end games blueprints of the ship I thought were the first to show the escape pods in those areas but I could be wrong. I know in the book "Millennium Falcon" implies the escape pods were on the sides but I also believe that came out well after incredible cross sections where they were first shown in the floor of the engine/rear cargo room. If I was building a full size falcon I would just have hatches in the engine room labeled escape pods and be done with it. In truth there is no way to make all the "cannon" sources agree, so I say just go with current cannon as it makes the most sense in relation to the ship as a whole.

If you look at cross-sections you can see that the escape pods were housed under the floor in the engine room.
On one side of the MF is the boarding ramp, and on the other side we can see port-side docking ring and corridor. So there is no place for the escape pods on the sides of the MF.
Fact that the escape pods are under the floor of the engine room seems more logical (and it's clearly visible on the cross-sections.).

http://crommo.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/millennium_falcon_cross-section.jpg

http://dayofthejedi.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/002.jpg

If I was building a full size falcon I would just have hatches in the engine room labeled escape pods and be done with it. In truth there is no way to make all the "cannon" sources agree, so I say just go with current cannon as it makes the most sense in relation to the ship as a whole.

That would be my suggestion as well.

The cannon sources do agree since Cross-Sections I made sure of that when illustrating the last three blueprint/cutaway type books on the Falcon.

Wow! They really tucked it away under the engines...

It's another case of cheating the Falcon's height too since the ship isn't thick enough to house pods under there (just like the cheat in ESB since there's no room for huge maintenance hatches in the ceiling and floor).

I like to think big... Imagine walking through the MF, coming across the escape pod and being able to jump in and play with all the switches, yoke, lights, etc... :)

If I was building a full size falcon I would just have hatches in the engine room labeled escape pods and be done with it.

That would be my suggestion as well.

I agree with this suggestion- this is what I did as well for a personal Falcon toy project of mine. I placed the escape pods (small, one man versions) underneath that center ring that houses the quad guns. They would exit (one at a time) through the panel just behind the mount for the quad lasers. From the inside of the rear cargo bay, there would be a smallish door (or 3) to enter the pods.

8368214752_fc96627687_z.jpg

For my project, I'm using the Hasbro escape pod toy from 2002- very undersized for reprenting the Tantivee pod, but perfect for a one-person pod:

sw04ultrac-3poinpod.jpg

Ball shape or not, it proves one thing- the escape pods don't have to be very big!

M

Just enough room for one human/non-human/driod ...and two packed lunches?

But also at some point down the line, would be a fairly simple and small design to make for sale at the Tosche Station shop - either in solid or inflatable form to take home.

It would be a lot of fun to build... Anybody know where I can find a fiberglass / plastic ball this big? I looked on ebay but didn't find anything. I'm sure it's specialty product...

This would also be a great piece to take "on tour" to cons as well, I hope you'll be posting a schedule of events, once the cockpit "hits the road". People would easily drop a few bucks for a photo op in the pod or behind the console of the falcon. :) :thumbsup

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back