QMX TNG comm badge pre-order

I love the QMx TNG badges. They are screen accurate, except for the finish. But nevertheless, they look like the kind of badges Starfleet would issue if Starfleet was a real organization existing today. I mean, they look great!!!

It would be difficult for me to be more disappointed with this. QMx's combadge did not live up to what was promised, and I almost feel insulted looking at it. The packaging looks incredibly cheap and generic, and lacks any proper Next Generation branding. Did they not actually have the license to market TNG items? Presentation counts!

On the back it says, "QMx has meticulously re-created this prop exactly as it was on the show." No, they didn't. There's nothing meticulous or exact about this combadge. I don't have an original prop or replica of one, but I trust this is the same size and shape of the originals, however that's where the similarity ends. Why go through the trouble of making a "replica" if they were going to so poorly reproduce it.

It doesn't look authentic, it looks cheap. The colors and finish are completely wrong, and it's shiny as hell. It reminds me of those awful two-piece metal pin badges that were sold 20+ years ago. They had the original props--how could they overlook the fact they were never this bright or reflective? It's apparent QMx just didn't care.

I could go on about the materials used and the general lack of quality, but this is basic stuff. I wouldn't call this an "idealized" version of the original. It's just a shoddy cash-grab.

photo (10).JPGThe "real" combadges have a removable face plate (the silver arrowhead in the photo above) that reveals the combadge's internal circuitry (as seen in the Star Trek: The Next Generation Technical Manual and in the "Coda" episode of Star Trek Voyager. The QMx combadge certainly makes it look like this is the case with the silver arrowhead. Again, the QMx combadge is an idealized version of this iconic prop, and proves to be accurate in every respect except for the paint job. Over all, I consider it the best representation of the ST TNG combadge. Bravo QMx! It would be nice if they came out with a Voyager combadge also.

Last edited:
Not it's not, the original props had the sides painted black, the face was all silver.

EDIT: Well I guess the early badges had a lip, but the ones with the flat face had no black on the front.

Actually Risu it did have a border. You can see it clearly in Times Arrow when Beverly holds her badge up when the alien life suckers come into the triage ward. However in DS9 they DID thin the line out but it was still there. That and it wears off with wear and tear. I happen to LOVE my QMx badge. I wear it to work and I've gotten more compliments than I ever bargain for!

Honestly I prefer the shiny "idealized" version. The only reason they weren't shiny on the show is that shiny things don't look that good on camera, and they were filming for low-quality SD television.

Getting a tailor to put an interior pocket into my uniform to hold the magnet so I can take it on and off without worrying about it falling out of my shirt.

I did that many years ago. Here is a pict I have of the two I own. Left is one in the original condition. Right is one that I sanded the face smooth and re-painted. If I was doing this today, I would probably opt for bondo to eliminate the raised shield edge.

Goodness, they BOTH look as good as new! I quite like the raised edge, but I'm not sure if its screen accurate - I'll need to take a closer look at the blu-rays. I'm hopeless at sanding - always ruin things; is there a stripper that would work without eating the alloy?

Goodness, they BOTH look as good as new! I quite like the raised edge, but I'm not sure if its screen accurate - I'll need to take a closer look at the blu-rays. I'm hopeless at sanding - always ruin things; is there a stripper that would work without eating the alloy?

On this type of communicator, there is no lip.

Here is a pict of the communicator prop replica made as the show's that is sold by Roddenberry.com:

RB001lg.jpg

It is not just the lip that throws it off, it is also the delta's face as it tapers down toward the lip. flatting the surface area of the delta's face makes a big difference toward accuracy (IMHO).

Back to QMX's badge: I will most likely pick up on in the future. They are pretty neat at a reasonable price but I am disappointed by the ill fitting face plate, the gold coloring, and the lack of black edging all the way on the sides of the delta section. I have no issue with an idealized comm badge replica, I just think it could have been done better. I would love to see a model that consisted of three parts, one for each color (gold, silver, and black). Oh well, maybe someone on shapeways will make that happen someday.

Last edited:
I have two screen-used season 1-2 badges and it looks like although Qmx modeled theirs after that earlier version, which had a larger oval back, they totally botched the finish. Now I'm sorry I ordered one. The most commonly used paint colors were Krylon Bright Gold and Dull Aluminum. The black edge was done with a Sharpie. I'll take a urethane version, properly painted, over this abomination any day. There's nothing like a careful paint and finishing job on a Rodd version. THAT'S the closest you can come to screen-used!

Has anyone tried painting it with a matte clearcoat? I wonder if that would make it look better by cutting down on the shininess or if it would just ruin the piece.

The problem is that even if it gives you the desired look, the clear coat tends not to adhere well to such a surface and therefore can easily chip. I think you would be better off prepping the surface, giving it a primer base and painting appropriately.

Received mine the other day and I can't say I'm overly impressed with it. The shineyness doesn't bother me, we knew it was coming, but the top plate on the insignia itself looks like a poor fitting mistake. I know what they were going for but they didn't quite get it IMHO.

Still, for $25 it's not too bad. I'll probably add black paint to the outside of the arrow and call it a day.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back