QMX TNG comm badge pre-order

Still got my preorder from TFAW. Saved $4.00 each on the pre-order. I'll wait an additional week or so for the extra $8.00 now at this point.

Mine came in tonight. It's got a nice heft to it, but the magnet does it's job (at least it did for the 5 minutes I tried it on). It's way too shiny and will need to be dulled down a bit, it's also silver and gold on the sides of the emblem instead of black. I was going to compare it side by side with a real one, but I can't seem to find mine at the moment. But yea, worth $20 I think.

Mine is still on pre-order with TFAW. They say end of the month shipping. Oh well, it's been 3 months now a couple more weeks won't kill me.

Still waiting on mine from startrek.com. Knew I should've ordered from the source. :(

edit: THEY PUSHED IT BACK TO JULY. ThinkGeek has them in stock. Cancelling my order and going with them.

Last edited:
it's also silver and gold on the sides of the emblem instead of black.

I got mine, and this is what bugged me. The face of the arrowhead is a different piece from the (oval and arrowhead) backing.

photo_zps7350451f.jpg

Last edited:
Quick comparison: a really beat up metal pin I got in a comic shop (probably '88/'89), a resin Roddenberry and the QMX.

photo2_zpsfc1bbee6.jpg

The Qmx looks almost exactly like my old plastic one that had the sound module behind it. They're both too bright/shiny, nice to look at but awful to photograph/film. I suppose with a repaint.... but if you're doing that then the Rodd one is the same shape, so.. I dunno

Got mine the other day too... and I agree with both sides of what you guys have been saying. Is it screen-accurate (even shiny plating not withstanding)? No way. Is it kinda cool as an idealized version? I think so! :thumbsup

It's funny-- seeing the TNG badge, which I think is significantly more dimensional than the flatter Generations/DS9/Voyager badge, in a super-shiny plated version like this, reminds me of the (again nowhere near screen-accurate) version of the G/DS9/V badge that was out a couple of years ago. (I think I got mine form the Star Trek Experience store, but I can't remember exactly.)

This is what I mean, tho-- they kind of work together with their shiny, more dimensional feel:
CommBadgeComparison.jpg

In any case, I popped mine into my comm badge display (replacing the painted one I have, similar to the first in Quinn's pic above), and it looks more in step with the rest of the pins, which are all shiny, plated versions:
CommBadgeDisplay.jpg

I don't want to completely derail this thread (and please forgive me if I do), but my "All Good Things" and G/DS9/V badges that you can see in the display above have really deteriorated over time in terms of their finishes. The gold has faded significantly. It almost looks like the silver, which has kind yellowed slightly too. There's very little contrast between the two colors. You can really see it in the G/DS9/V badge on the bottom (which, incidentally, is a magnetic one with a soundboard from QVC). My "Future Imperfect" has held up better, but the others just look terrible. Is there any way to restore these? (And again, I apologize for the derail-- I'll post this somewhere else if it's more appropriate.) Thanks, guys!

Pretty schmancy for 20 bucks! I wish I would have ordered more than just one. Nice clasp design too. And on mine, the seam between the silver and gold details is nice and tight.

DSCN0588_zps39d75043.jpg

DSCN0591_zpsbb40c005.jpg

DSCN0592_zps516694cf.jpg

Oh and,,, Nice Display Cristar Attevan!

I used a scotch brite pad and sanded that black border off the face of mine, it also took down the surface to a nicer finish. If you plan to do the same though, be careful. Underneath the silver is copper if you go too deep. And making any contact with the gold section will go right through that to silver. My next plan is to somehow age the gold to darken it a little, then I'll paint the black section.

Why do these companies insist on using FedEx to ship? I really wish they would give customers choice. I work in shipping and our company offers multiple choices of carriers for customer convenience. I thought UPS was bad, but FedEx takes the cake. I was supposed to have my badges yesterday, they won't deliver to me after 5 pm when I am home, they won't take it to a depot near my house ( I don't have a car to drive to the next city where their main depot is) and will charge QMX a fee if I want to redirect it to my work. Totally unaccommodating on the phone. They expect me to take a day off work just to receive as couple of comm badges. I don't think so. Unreal. At least UPS let me redirect my phaser to my work right on their website for free. Sigh.

I hear ya, Venkman! Even though I got mine a few days ago, it took it only a day or two to get from California to here in Jersey-- then it took two more days to get from one depot to the next (20 minutes away from each other). And then because that was a Friday, they had to sit at FedEx, down the road from me (about 3 minutes) all weekend long. Not cool.

...and thanks, Jim! That's actually the box from an old DS9 video game. Years ago, I cut the front panel out, and had some badges in there. A few years later, I added some LEDs to light that sucker up. Still works! :)

Well mine said that it had reached Charlotte, NC (2 hours from where I live)...then I get online today, and it says that "Shipping Info received" WTH???? This is USPS too!

Well, TFAW still do not have them in stock! So I ordered one from ThinkGeek as I was getting impatient. Oh well, I used some of my points and got a Captain Jules' telescope ring for free.....so score!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back