MF's Iron Man Helmet Builds - Mark 3 and 3D Printed Mark 42

Re: MF's Iron Man Helmet Builds

Mark 42 Build Starts Here:

Hey guys! A year is a long enough time to go without updating, right?

Essentially, I started this build thread with a friend when I was 16, now 20. The Mark 3 helmet we started with did eventually get finished, but after a failed molding and realizing it wasn't too accurate or well crafted, we more or less lost hope in that build. After a while, we then printed the Mark 45 that I modeled, but nothing really came of that since we were only really building it because it was new at the time, and not because we liked it. My buddy printed Gimpee's helmet (post above) and he finished that and loves it. I always feel a bigger sense of pride doing things myself, so I decided to make the Mark 42 Helmet since that is the one I love the most. I modeled the helmet a while back but just recently started printing it out and finishing it. The two videos below follow my progress of the build. Do note, that the helmet in the first video was actually sold, and I am currently printing/finishing a new one. More updates to come soon!

Some screen grabs from the finishing of the rear part of the helmet:

JBTFKQa.png

QX1L5bB.png

i8Rjx79.png

ObMYEtp.png

xJ65ipO.png

a4jUNsC.png

v2oYZrb.png

lUKS1qk.png

IAZHar0.png

Last edited by a moderator:

This post looks amazing, I have already made a foam helmet and most of a suit, but looking back on it I see all of the sloppy errors. What materials would you suggest if I was to try to make a helmet with great details like yours? Also, do you suggest making a cast and then re molding that and creating another one, or perfect the first model and make a final cast.

This post looks amazing, I have already made a foam helmet and most of a suit, but looking back on it I see all of the sloppy errors. What materials would you suggest if I was to try to make a helmet with great details like yours? Also, do you suggest making a cast and then re molding that and creating another one, or perfect the first model and make a final cast.

Well thanks! Firstly, the molding, casting, and remolding was only brought on by mistakes and should never have to be done since it is a waste of money, time, and materials. As for building, if you have the means, I suggest 3D printing all the way. It's super clean, little effort, and saves a lot of time in the finishing stage. The only downside to it is it takes a while to actually print the parts. But if you don't have access to it or simply just like doing things yourself, the good ol' fashioned pepakura and fiberglass method (that was the main way of doing things before foam and printing was popularized) is your best bet.

Boochieboy on YouTube has a great tutorial series (<---Link to playlist of the series) that goes over every step of creating a very accurate Iron Man helmet using Pepakura, fiberglass, body filler, and simple home tools. I recommend watching all of the videos in the series first to get an idea of what you're in for, then going back and watching them as you progress through each stage.

Hope this helps! If you have any more questions, feel free to ask

Thanks a ton, I just finished all of the videos. How large should i make the helmet, I'm wondering how large you made yours to advise me how large mine should be. I'm pretty tall so I don't want it to look to small, but also don't want to look like a bobble head.
Thanks again!

Thanks a ton, I just finished all of the videos. How large should i make the helmet, I'm wondering how large you made yours to advise me how large mine should be. I'm pretty tall so I don't want it to look to small, but also don't want to look like a bobble head.
Thanks again!

Ohh man. I never saw this question. Hopefully you got everything scaled properly!

But I do have an update on the Mark 42 Build! I'm still slowly making progress on the thing (and hope to actually finish it before summer is over). I've got the faceplate 99% finished off and I will be moving onward to the rest of the bucket. Like last time, I made a video document the build so I hope you guys watch it and enjoy it!

And here's a breakdown for those that would rather skim through it -

Priming the Faceplate:
tg063lX.png

Primed:
VisxD6P.png

Sanded:
2DCNONo.png

Primed again:
Y1eu2sg.png

Sanded again:
ew74dJy.png

Spot Putty Applied:
FytSlKe.png

Spot putty sanded:
vQ5sfxZ.png

And final priming!
91c22nS.png

The helmet as it sits now:
zvLPHyh.png

ZJ059zl.png

eEvIfUN.png

R8mmkxX.png

I do know that with the recent photobucket TOS change, I lost all my original images. I will do my best to get them back, however they mostly were on the Mark 3 build that I originally started and now I've moved onto the Mark 42. I will still try to get them back asap though!

Attachments

• VisxD6P.png
    VisxD6P.png
    441.7 KB · Views: 161
  • tg063lX.png
    tg063lX.png
    565.6 KB · Views: 166
  • VisxD6P.png
    VisxD6P.png
    441.7 KB · Views: 182
  • tg063lX.png
    tg063lX.png
    565.6 KB · Views: 165
  • 2DCNONo.png
    2DCNONo.png
    551.5 KB · Views: 185
  • 2DCNONo.png
    2DCNONo.png
    551.5 KB · Views: 178
  • ew74dJy.png
    ew74dJy.png
    370.5 KB · Views: 171
  • Y1eu2sg.png
    Y1eu2sg.png
    551.3 KB · Views: 162
  • Y1eu2sg.png
    Y1eu2sg.png
    551.3 KB · Views: 166
  • ew74dJy.png
    ew74dJy.png
    370.5 KB · Views: 169
  • FytSlKe.png
    FytSlKe.png
    545.6 KB · Views: 155
  • vQ5sfxZ.png
    vQ5sfxZ.png
    568.8 KB · Views: 153
  • FytSlKe.png
    FytSlKe.png
    545.6 KB · Views: 149
  • vQ5sfxZ.png
    vQ5sfxZ.png
    568.8 KB · Views: 171
  • 91c22nS.png
    91c22nS.png
    572.5 KB · Views: 168
  • 91c22nS.png
    91c22nS.png
    572.5 KB · Views: 167
  • ZJ059zl.png
    ZJ059zl.png
    509.1 KB · Views: 192
  • zvLPHyh.png
    zvLPHyh.png
    453.9 KB · Views: 150
  • ZJ059zl.png
    ZJ059zl.png
    509.1 KB · Views: 149
  • zvLPHyh.png
    zvLPHyh.png
    453.9 KB · Views: 160
  • eEvIfUN.png
    eEvIfUN.png
    523.6 KB · Views: 165
  • eEvIfUN.png
    eEvIfUN.png
    523.6 KB · Views: 158
  • R8mmkxX.png
    R8mmkxX.png
    489.7 KB · Views: 160
  • R8mmkxX.png
    R8mmkxX.png
    489.7 KB · Views: 152
Re: MF's Iron Man Helmet Build - 3D Printed Mark 42

Made some more progress on the Mark 42 Helmet! It's definitely coming along super well. Hopefully it'll be done in the next coming weeks!

I'll try to post some screen grabs later on too for those that would prefer pictures instead of watching the video!

First thing done was get rid of the old jaw since it was a pretty low quality print and would've taken a lot of time to surface properly
X1uDuMZ.png

New jaw
tE3zLub.png

Glued on
7oB89Tb.png

Some Braces added
I2h9BCA.png

Cracks in need of filling
KkiHSZ4.png

Filling
OAlGW3B.png

Sanded and Primed
JJofxLj.png

Some alignment issues
wxVO44r.png

Filling
H5jpQ0I.png

Sanded down and additional layers of Bondo applied
TmoGoid.png

Getting there!
k274bZ8.png

Attachments

• X1uDuMZ.png
    X1uDuMZ.png
    612.1 KB · Views: 162
  • tE3zLub.png
    tE3zLub.png
    448.4 KB · Views: 158
  • 7oB89Tb.png
    577.2 KB · Views: 149
  • X1uDuMZ.png
    X1uDuMZ.png
    612.1 KB · Views: 175
  • tE3zLub.png
    tE3zLub.png
    448.4 KB · Views: 167
  • 7oB89Tb.png
    7oB89Tb.png
    577.2 KB · Views: 166
  • I2h9BCA.png
    I2h9BCA.png
    597.2 KB · Views: 159
  • KkiHSZ4.png
    KkiHSZ4.png
    479.1 KB · Views: 150
  • OAlGW3B.png
    OAlGW3B.png
    575.1 KB · Views: 167
  • JJofxLj.png
    JJofxLj.png
    561.4 KB · Views: 165
  • wxVO44r.png
    wxVO44r.png
    363.7 KB · Views: 143
  • H5jpQ0I.png
    H5jpQ0I.png
    594.5 KB · Views: 158
  • TmoGoid.png
    TmoGoid.png
    534.3 KB · Views: 165
  • k274bZ8.png
    k274bZ8.png
    503.1 KB · Views: 157
Heyo guys, just wanted to give a bit of an update. Not much... but some progress has been made! Ears are attached and looking good. At this point, all that's left is sanding down the remaining layer lines and making sure some grooves and other pieces line up, but that's not too much! Hopefully it'll be done before the year is over.

VgGJtN5.jpg

IiPiFpi.jpg

yLQGJm3.jpg

ex6L9ts.jpg

And here's a pic with his brother from another universe :)
xQyYSfq.jpg

After over two years of working on this, the helmet is finally done. I'm so incredibly happy with how it turned out. Just like before, I have a video about what I've done since the last post that overs all the steps I took to get it here, and if you can't spare 20 minutes there's some screen grabs too!

Sanding down the layer lines on the jaw
xSSbJ0E.png

Glazing and Spot putty spread over the helmet
MDOBbrM.png

After being sanded down, the whole thing was given a coat of filler primer
lnVVmUR.png

First look at it together with the bodywork all done
7FiYrw5.png

First coat of paint
sjqCyYT.png

Painting the chin after masking
suf1PLF.png

Nice
E20uPdr.png

Painting the back
nKgQLBG.png

Also nice
USPq4az.png

Painting the faceplate
EcpllLV.png

Damn, I'm happy with this
ibxY1C1.png

Handing painting the cheeks with acrylic paint
HR73qTr.png

Black wash for grime and darkening of grooves
0cG9dDi.png

Clear coating all the parts
BGtvyqW.png

All dry
6SOPpip.png

First test fit!
YJ5eVTi.png

Eye construction, white cloth, clear plastic from product packaging, and 1mm craft foam
G6szf8y.png

All super glued together
clXe6Hl.png

One LED for each eye, shining from the middle out
kL2wF5B.png

Evenly diffused
G80JO2a.png

Hinge design
Tud1UJL.png

Mid Action
SvFRMya.png

Arduino Pro Micro
KSFx1sg.png

Straps that hold the back panel on
FV0oDip.png

Finished!
wm11fzl.png

Finished back
IcKpIG0.png

Finished Open
pDkLkks.png

Wearing the thing
bop3XRG.png

Closed
8j1TbXF.png

I hope you all of enjoyed my progress on this thing. This is the first Iron Man bucket that I have ever finished, and I'm really happy with how it turned out. If there's any questions, feel free to ask!

I'm so torn on the video. On the one hand, it felt like it took too long to get to the build. On the other... I REALLY WANT TO KNOW WHAT'S WITH THE MYSTERY!

Looks good though! You've certainly got it opening the perfect amount.

I'm so torn on the video. On the one hand, it felt like it took too long to get to the build. On the other... I REALLY WANT TO KNOW WHAT'S WITH THE MYSTERY!

Looks good though! You've certainly got it opening the perfect amount.

I guess you could say it's perfectly balanced, as all things should be. But Thank you! The mechanism was what I was most worried about, but I think it came out pretty well.

I guess you could say it's perfectly balanced, as all things should be. But Thank you! The mechanism was what I was most worried about, but I think it came out pretty well.

Hey, could I buy the hinge files from you? They have a good range of motion. Please let me know

Hey, could I buy the hinge files from you? They have a good range of motion. Please let me know

Absolutely not. Why on Earth would you think you can buy them from me when I'll just give them to you :)

Hinge Files

I hope they can be of use! I have a text document explaining the parts. That, along with the pictures I posted of the inside, should be enough to help get you where you need to be.

Absolutely not. Why on Earth would you think you can buy them from me when I'll just give them to you :)

Hinge Files

I hope they can be of use! I have a text document explaining the parts. That, along with the pictures I posted of the inside, should be enough to help get you where you need to be.

Wow, thanks a bunch! I'll be sure to credit you when I complete my build. :)

That's awesome work! I'm currently building my pepakura mark 7 suit.. (first time builder)

The great goal in my head is always going to be motorization .. Your great files will get me one step closer! I've seen nothing but threads on the programming part, but none about the mechanical part!
Thanks!

A materials list would be amazing too!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back