MF's Iron Man Helmet Builds - Mark 3 and 3D Printed Mark 42

Re: MiddleFinger's Iron Man Helmet

This is looking great man. It seems you have gone the very long way round like I did :)

Great work, fantastic!:)
i have a question for you: how will you realize the coupling system of the rear part of the helmet?
I think to cut my helmet in three pieces (face, rear helmet and chin) and to couple the pieces I think to use neodymium magnets with 1mm
thickness.

Well keep up the good work
It's always a learning curve

You definitely have that right!

This is looking great man. It seems you have gone the very long way round like I did :)

Thank you! Haha yes, and your helmet is very amazing!

Great work, fantastic!:)
i have a question for you: how will you realize the coupling system of the rear part of the helmet?
I think to cut my helmet in three pieces (face, rear helmet and chin) and to couple the pieces I think to use neodymium magnets with 1mm
thickness.

We plan to have ours in four pieces. The faceplate, jaw, the bulk of the helmet, and the lower rear part.

lots of detail.. good work

Thanks!

There are not to many updates right now. School, work, and lack of motivation are the factors for that, but we haven't given up!

Not an update on the actual helmet, but a quick Iron Patriot helmet was made to wear for the movie premier. Just cardboard and paint!

LvV6JA9.jpg

e0DowXe.jpg

Last edited:

Good to see some other adolescents here! Nice work guys! I've pep'd a few helmets, but never got round to doing all this, so you guys have proved to me it can be done!
I lost motivation in my foam suit build, but just think "do i want a piece of half finished junk lying around, or do i want a motherf***ing iron man helmet?!?" That should get you where you need to go ;L keep it up!

Good Iron Patriot Lid!

Last edited:

Good to see some other adolescents here! Nice work guys! I've pep'd a few helmets, but never got round to doing all this, so you guys have proved to me it can be done!
I lost motivation in my foam suit build, but just think "do i want a piece of half finished junk lying around, or do i want a motherf***ing iron man helmet?!?" That should get you where you need to go ;L keep it up!

Good Iron Patriot Lid!

Thank you very much! Motivation is the major problem for me, but I did get around to a few updates.

Only a few small holes in this side. Still missing the cheek and the ear, but it's almost there:

2cfkIWR.jpg

The back is looking a little bit ugly! Just need to take lots of time with a file to get that looking nice!

MwZhmP4.jpg

This side is looking bad, but still better than it was before. Just like on the left side, there are holes that came about in the paper where the resin didn't seep into all the way and the edge of the foam, but those all will be fixed.

IzgkMPO.jpg

So, not any big update like I wish I would've had after this wait, but it's still progress!

Last edited:
Re: MiddleFinger's Iron Man Helmet - Quick Iron Patriot Helmet and Small Updates

So the first actual good cast for the faceplate was done! It came out rather thin, so I just added some fiberglass and did another layer, and now it's super sturdy! I'm also really happy with how clean the eye holes turned out. Some more filling was done on the side due to the fact that Bondo hates EVA foam, the whole layer pretty much peeled off. I had the rest of it grinded away and added some more filler!

Kod8iMU.jpg

7MbRec9.jpg

Last edited:
Re: MiddleFinger's Iron Man Helmet Build

So, it's been quite some time since I've posted, and this project is pushing a year and a half, it's time this thing needs to be wrapped up. UPDATES!

Bonding the faceplate to the rest of the bucket.
quOOCQo.jpg

Since the master was made out of foam, there was some warping that occurred on the cheek corner of the faceplate.
QJPN7EP.jpg

Fast-forward 6 months and here's the helmet today.
NhG0ER1.jpg

Reconstructive-Surgery going quite well.
8m5W5pN.jpg

All the ugly holes and mass amounts of body filler depicted in previous posts have been taken care of.
ESduNWs.jpg

3D Printed Ear with layer of primer and glazing putty. (Other one and MK 42 Handplate drying in background)
kOe5dOu.jpg

Sanded down and another layer of primer. Still an imperfection on the indent though.
oNRpN1L.jpg

Another project that I shouldn't have started but did anyways.
Ws74BT0.jpg

Last edited:

Nice updates man. Glad to see you're still makin progress.

I know now how that is starting a new project when you still haven't finished the other one or 4 ;)

Nice updates man. Glad to see you're still makin progress.

I know now how that is starting a new project when you still haven't finished the other one or 4 ;)

Thanks, man! And I know! I've given up on too many things due to project jumping and just want this one to be over with.

Reconstructive surgery went well. Can't even notice this part of the faceplate was entirely gone at one point. Also filled in the forehead piece, which leaves only a little cleanup work and then just to cut the groove out of the wall of the recession.

N7bnf8l.jpg

Last edited:

Mark III Helmet is nearing completion, but no pics to show right now. I also started working on my model of the Mark 42 helmet, and I think it's looking pretty good!

It all starts somewhere
7EJU6kh.jpg

After fiberglassing. Grinding away the hard edges
BBYupe2.jpg

Mhmm, body filler
y6ihiDb.jpg

My dad borrowed my power sander, and had to go back to a block. I swore I would never return to that tedious way...
ArAiwvW.jpg

Not bad for only an hour or two of body work!
qPALtMe.jpg

Still some pinholes and other things to fix, but it should be done in a few weeks. Definitely going by way, way faster than the Mark III
nb9rSz3.jpg

Last edited:

Only cardboard and paint!!? damn i sure need a teacher to teach how to do that

All there is to it is just tracing the foam files onto cereal/snack box cardboard, cutting, and gluing!

So besides filing down the grooves (that'll come tomorrow), the helmet is done. After grooves added all there is left is to attach the ears and mold it!

Gotta love that glazing putty
cO13Ka2.jpg

Sanded down
Sv195m8.jpg

Ready to be filed and have the ears added
zYPYac1.jpg

Last edited:

Drilled in holes for screws
DOxbmVJ.jpg

All I did was superglue a small washer onto the head of a screw. Worked out great!
EHMRfZu.jpg

wCC7XI6.jpg

XXw5tB8.jpg

Ears attached, ready to mold
SyojB62.jpg

T8aFcWl.jpg

JQOevev.jpg

Will edit this post with more updates.

Last edited:
Re: MiddleFinger's Iron Man Helmet Build - Mark 45 Started

Wow! It's been a while since I updated this thread. The Mark 3 helmet has been "done" for a while, but I'd thought I'd post my mark 45 progress here instead of in my 3D modeling thread since it seems more appropriate.

We got my Mark 45 helmet model 3D printed as some of you may have seen in my other thread in the video I posted here:

Finishing work has just barely started, but still started nonetheless. Here are some pics!

IMG_2033_zpsufylnxbh.jpg

IMG_2032_zpsw5b33s1h.jpg

IMG_2037_zpsrlsgmdg8.jpg

IMG_2034_zpsgobur1eh.jpg

IMG_2035_zpsv1hjees9.jpg

The reason the faceplate isn't primed, is because it is super warped as you can see below. It was printed months before everything else and was placed in a bad spot near direct sunlight causing it to warp slightly. It's going to be re-printed soon!

IMG_2036_zpsw4bflpyd.jpg

In comparison to SharkMark's Mark 3 helmet at the default scale to get an idea of how big this is. It's a little snug, but any bigger and It would've looked like a bobble head!

IMG_2039_zps6m0ro57v.jpg

IMG_2038_zpssbuhkkeb.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2033_zpsufylnxbh.jpg
    IMG_2033_zpsufylnxbh.jpg
    367.2 KB · Views: 281
    IMG_2033_zpsufylnxbh.jpg
    367.2 KB · Views: 275
    IMG_2033_zpsufylnxbh.jpg
    367.2 KB · Views: 272
    IMG_2033_zpsufylnxbh.jpg
    367.2 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_2032_zpsw5b33s1h.jpg
    IMG_2032_zpsw5b33s1h.jpg
    391.8 KB · Views: 285
    IMG_2032_zpsw5b33s1h.jpg
    391.8 KB · Views: 265
    IMG_2032_zpsw5b33s1h.jpg
    391.8 KB · Views: 284
    IMG_2032_zpsw5b33s1h.jpg
    391.8 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_2037_zpsrlsgmdg8.jpg
    IMG_2037_zpsrlsgmdg8.jpg
    353.4 KB · Views: 280
    IMG_2037_zpsrlsgmdg8.jpg
    353.4 KB · Views: 284
    IMG_2037_zpsrlsgmdg8.jpg
    353.4 KB · Views: 285
    IMG_2037_zpsrlsgmdg8.jpg
    353.4 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_2034_zpsgobur1eh.jpg
    IMG_2034_zpsgobur1eh.jpg
    371 KB · Views: 268
    IMG_2034_zpsgobur1eh.jpg
    371 KB · Views: 278
    IMG_2034_zpsgobur1eh.jpg
    371 KB · Views: 271
    IMG_2034_zpsgobur1eh.jpg
    371 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_2035_zpsv1hjees9.jpg
    IMG_2035_zpsv1hjees9.jpg
    419.2 KB · Views: 276
    IMG_2035_zpsv1hjees9.jpg
    419.2 KB · Views: 290
    IMG_2035_zpsv1hjees9.jpg
    419.2 KB · Views: 282
    IMG_2035_zpsv1hjees9.jpg
    419.2 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_2036_zpsw4bflpyd.jpg
    IMG_2036_zpsw4bflpyd.jpg
    363.1 KB · Views: 285
    IMG_2036_zpsw4bflpyd.jpg
    363.1 KB · Views: 276
    IMG_2036_zpsw4bflpyd.jpg
    363.1 KB · Views: 263
    IMG_2036_zpsw4bflpyd.jpg
    363.1 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_2039_zps6m0ro57v.jpg
    IMG_2039_zps6m0ro57v.jpg
    367.1 KB · Views: 271
    IMG_2039_zps6m0ro57v.jpg
    367.1 KB · Views: 268
    IMG_2039_zps6m0ro57v.jpg
    367.1 KB · Views: 272
    IMG_2039_zps6m0ro57v.jpg
    367.1 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_2038_zpssbuhkkeb.jpg
    IMG_2038_zpssbuhkkeb.jpg
    387.4 KB · Views: 275
    IMG_2038_zpssbuhkkeb.jpg
    387.4 KB · Views: 288
    IMG_2038_zpssbuhkkeb.jpg
    387.4 KB · Views: 288
    IMG_2038_zpssbuhkkeb.jpg
    387.4 KB · Views: 276
Last edited by a moderator:

With the 3d printed helmet, do you have to reinforce it in any way? eg rondo on the inside?

With the 3d printed helmet, do you have to reinforce it in any way? eg rondo on the inside?

For some 3D printed parts such as a handplate or maybe even a forearm it isn't necessary to reinforce it, but for something like this with parts that come on and off like the faceplate and back of the helmet, it is probably best to reinforce it in some manner. I haven't gotten around to it yet, but more than likely I was going to use some left over smooth cast!

But updates! Kinda.... It seems like a tend to tackle a lot of projects at once (which usually leads to them not being completed) but my friend sent me this video update. He started printing the Mark 42 helmet as well! But I won't start finishing that until the 45 is complete!

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back