Snowspeeder Filming Replica with Working Air Brakes

Looks like a Bismarck turret on the bottom pic. Not sure if its the 1/350 or a different version though.

Awesome, thanks! Had the JPS discs, but didn't want to dremel the insides of Nick's kit because I didn't have the SU100 ID'd - but, the kit is on the shelf. Looks like it also donates a part to the cockpit I've been looking for, part 11...so, thanks again for pointing me at it. The discs I used just fit and provided a bit more visual depth. Not sure I'll dremel those out, but I am starting to take dimensions for a styrene build. So, one day I'll be here again.

Also, I don't mean to take advantage, but do you know the following parts?

Anything on the base of the harpoon gun?
spdrharpoonbase.jpg

I have the Taiho bits that make up a lot of the front gun boxes, but these three parts are troubling me:
harpbase.jpg

And, finally, on the rear under the wing, there's a "V" shaped bit next to the Taiho turret on the Stuka panel. No idea what the V-shaped bit is. And then there's a piece about some JPS parts to the right.

starskirt.jpg

Hey guys, here's a little color coded parts map I came up with for the parts I know on the main guns. The main body of the gun I believe to be either scratchbuilt or a found item. If it is a found item, I have not seen anything like it. I also haven't come across any kit part that resembles it. The ribbed part in between the Vosper torpedo I believe is turned on a lathe. There are kit parts that look similar but not exact. I was leaning towards motorcycle suspension parts but haven't found anything that would be an exact match. The part I shaded in red I believe to be 2 parts together, could be scratched but I don't think so. I just haven't found it yet.
Hope it helps.

I thought I found the base the Stery sits on,Airfix Harrier.But when I checked it with the 25pdr part it was too big.:cry

Dave

Hey Dave, thanks, you've made some nice IDs on the speeder. My two cents on the circular base of the harpoon gun is that it is scratched.

Thanks.Your probably right.The very bottom piece looks scratched.But when I seen the Harrier part I thought it was it for sure.

Dave

I decided to spend some time scanning in and adjusting a couple of shots from Chronicles, in the event they help anyone. The cockpit shot...the model looks a lot different without the 25 years of accumulated dust, lint, and detritus. The stripe detail on the helmets is interesting, too. I'm also beginning to wonder if the figures weren't interchangeable. Or, has someone verified why Wedge is driving Rogue Leader in the MR ref set?

spdrcpit.jpg

More slow progress. Upper air brake servo installation meant modifying the engines. Wasn't quite sure how I was going to do that, as there's not much clearance. Initial thought was to Dremel out the kit part engine, but the tolerance for the necessary wall thickness was too small. So, shot off an order to Plastruct for clear acrylic round tubing. I'm using the kit parts - well, technically, the ends of the kit parts - from Nick's kit 'cause I like that the engine nozzle is a separate piece.

Oh dear, someone's decapitated my pilot. You know what that means... :love

And, last, but not least (and with some assistance from my wife because I don't have four hands, four eyes, and can't see from two directions at the same time) I bonded the air brake boxes to the hull. What a PITA! But, it's done and no servos or linkage were harmed in the construction of this speeder (relieved).

spdr030a.jpg

Allan

That really does look so nice, awesome to see such nice clean work.
The airbrake box, with the clear tubing alone, would make for a really great display piece and talking point.......i think you should make a one off someday, you owe it to yourself, your the guy who figured it all out!

lee

Allan, I just had to say that looks incredible. Awesome work, you must be happy with the results, I would be. I know it's slow but keep it up. BTW never seen the chronicles pic, it seems ILM placed this pilot in Rogue 2. The Art of Empire book has a pic of the speeder which I presume was taken around the time Empire was made has the same pilot figure that is in the model now.

Well, it has it's flaws and I know where they all are, lol. I finished and primed the rear cannon and gun box assemblies yesteday, then shot some new pics. As I was looking at them I decided it was time for that canopy to go, or get a face lift. Face lift ensued, and it looks better. But, I may still have a new one cut.

Oh crikey yes, you will be going nuts accurate on the cockpit too Allan, thats going to be cool, the kit cockpit is nice, but yes, a little off here and there, striking differences being the front console and seat.......and then is ONLY those pilots to animate.........sounds easy eh, hah.

lee

Canopy tweaking continues. Looking at the ref I decided the raised panel on the rear top of the canopy is actually removable to allow access to the mount point situated in the gunner's lap.

Another thing, I believe our revised figures may be 5 percent-ish too large. But, I still love 'em!

Spot on Allan, its amazing what fresh eyes can pick up!
What is funny, is the fact a computer scanned this prop and dropped the ball, the panel is flush, it just wasnt seated right!

Lee

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back