Snowspeeder Filming Replica with Working Air Brakes

So your arduino will live inside the model? You going to run any lights off of it as well?

No lights, although I was considering including a sound clip of the speeder with a speaker in the rear radiator area....but, too toy-like. :$

The Arduino will live in the MDF base, basically a box like I built for my cloud car with a wall plug (http://www.therpf.com/f10/cloud-city-twin-pod-cloud-car-91429/).

ccdone12.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds good Allan, yeah kerb the sound, itll cheapen it TBH!
You really do have me pondering this Arduino for the Ion cannon now, i good hi speed MG 1/10 servo should have some serious recoil action with one of these at the helm!!!

Lee

Sounds good Allan, yeah kerb the sound, itll cheapen it TBH!
You really do have me pondering this Arduino for the Ion cannon now, i good hi speed MG 1/10 servo should have some serious recoil action with one of these at the helm!!!

Lee

Do it! You know you want to...

Okay, new footage and info...

First, a demo of the rear flaps:

Speeder Flap Test #5

Next, Nick asked about the upper flap mechanisms. It's pretty simple, really. My teaser reply was that you have to think outside the box...get it?

upperflapmechs.jpg

And, here's a peek behind the curtain:

Speeder Flap Test #6

If you look at ref pics, you'll notice the engines are not aligned with the cannons. Rather, they're aligned with the two struts that raise and lower the upper flaps. Did ILM do it this way? Dunno, but it seems like a good bet. Now, nevermind the fact that the engines seem to be planted somewhere they can't possibly work (in real life), instead they're simply window dressing to cover up the flap hinges.

Last edited:
Hah! Completely agree - the form follows function, almost always!

Did you think about actuating the lower flaps with the pistons, or is that too non-canon?

Arduino in the base is smart, especially in case something goes south.

And don't knock sound, awwwww. I know it's to each his own, but when you walk by a Probe Droid and it chatters at you, it's pretty exciting :lol

Hah! Completely agree - the form follows function, almost always!

Did you think about actuating the lower flaps with the pistons, or is that too non-canon?

Arduino in the base is smart, especially in case something goes south.

And don't knock sound, awwwww. I know it's to each his own, but when you walk by a Probe Droid and it chatters at you, it's pretty exciting :lol

No, no. The Probot sound IS cool. Speeder flyby? A little Hasbro...

I actually scratchbuilt the pistons for both lower flaps, making nice use of my neglected Harbor Freight mini cutoff saw. In the end, before I ever attached a servo to the model, I scrapped them due to weight. Turns out I didn't need to worry. I think it would be possible to actuate the pistons, but yeah, too non-canon. Apparently, I never took a pic of a finished scratched flap. Ah well, here's some pics of stuff...

pistons.jpg

This is how small the axles had to be cut, and you can see the collars for each end...

upperaxle.jpg

Upper flap hinge/struts installed:

upperhinges.jpg

Could you do tilt switches to control each flap by tilting the speeder and upward flat motion to extend both at the same time?

Awesome stuf Allan, great to see you posting again. Just wish I could have the time to do build at the mo. Seeing this and Lees speeder reminds me why I do this, did this...!!! want this.....ermmmm

Just awesome

Nice one. When I was doing the speeder and generally tinkering around with the flap assemblies, I had concluded that the only way to make the flaps raise and move back the way they do, required the hinge point to be much further back than the inside of the box would allow. Photos of the ILM models in bits also showed a hole in the back of the box where the cylinders sit which seemed to indicate the cylinder wasn't just there to look pretty. And lo and behold you have beautifully realised the whole thing, and got the darn things working. Fantastic job :)

Nick

Do it! You know you want to...

Okay, new footage and info...

First, a demo of the rear flaps:

Speeder Flap Test #5

Next, Nick asked about the upper flap mechanisms. It's pretty simple, really. My teaser reply was that you have to think outside the box...get it?

upperflapmechs.jpg

And, here's a peek behind the curtain:

Speeder Flap Test #6

If you look at ref pics, you'll notice the engines are not aligned with the cannons. Rather, they're aligned with the two struts that raise and lower the upper flaps. Did ILM do it this way? Dunno, but it seems like a good bet. Now, nevermind the fact that the engines seem to be planted somewhere they can't possibly work (in real life), instead they're simply window dressing to cover up the flap hinges.

Thanks, Nick, Eric, and everyone! The build has settled into the more routine aspects, now. I was a little concerned about powering the servos based on what I'd read on some of the Arduino forums. But, I picked up a variable voltage 1000 mA DC wall adapter, so the Arduino is no longer tethered to the computer's USB port and all the servos are running off of 3 volts (even though the specs call for 4.6 - 6v).

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back