A Rehearsal for My (Hopefully) Perfect 1/72 Millennium Falcon

Avanaut

Hi All!

There are so many threads on the Finemolds' 1/72 Millennium Falcon, so many! One more won't hurt. See, I'm one of those guys who quit model building at the age of about 20. The kits you can purchase these days is just something that I could've never dream of back in the day, the possibilities are almost limitless, yet, at the core, it's all still the same. Kitbashing hasn't changed at all, same rules, better paints. It took me over two decades to return to the workbench and I love it, but I didn't come back for just the models, I came back with a camera.

I'm an illustrator by profession, a little bit of a photographer, too. I needed to try shooting some realistic miniatures, for that I began experimenting with the Finemolds' 1/72 Y-Wing in Jan 2012. Building the ship was a lot of fun and I have managed to shoot some nice photos with it. I have another one in store for building a lighted up version later.

6825607869_b4d9fb2400_b.jpg

set-72157629820469175
(Link to my Flickr folder of a few more scale model photographs)

After the Y-Wing it was time for something a bit more challenging: the Finemolds' 1/72 Millennium Falcon. It started out in March 2012 as a simple oob build, but as I was gluing on the first parts it quickly became clear that it had to be lit properly in order to stand out. I've tinkered with soldering and led lamps a bit before, so that did not scare me off.

After some planning and researching I ended up having a grand total of 43 individual leds in the ship along with about two metres of optic wire and the Acreation Model's photoetch set for the cockpit, I have to say it took a while to figure out how the lighting should be arranged. The Falcon was to be built for photography and it should therefore have an internal powersource, no visible wiring, no switches, also, there should be different lighting modes: landed, in flight and parked with the little red lights on only. I decided to have the cockpit tube loose so I could hide all the necessary switches and stuff under it. I simply had to make connections for the cockpit lights, the connections also act as a locking mechanism, as the cockpit element is pushed to it's place the electric connection bits snap around each other and hold the tube in place.

First I soldered in 3 mm cool white leds for the under hull park lights, they seemed too cold, I stripped them off and replaced them warm white leds. After some camera tests the warm whites were removed and replaced with the cool whites again. In camera the cool whites were closer to flash and/or daylight, besides, the warm whites had differences in the colour temperature and that inconsistency looked really bad in camera. I left the warm whites for the cockpit, though, as they produce a nice warm glow in the cockpit and that looks rather inviting to my eye.

During the building process there were some decisions that maybe weren't optimal, like plating the engine light box with mirror plastic. I thought it would maximize the ten superbright 5 mm leds' lumens, but I think it actually does the opposite. It's not that important, though, in a photograph this can be dealt with. With the cockpit PE parts I had the biggest problems, the rear wall came out great, but the floor and console were really difficult and in the end I discarded them and used the plastic originals. I later learned that the Acreation Models's PE set is designed for the AMT model and doesn't fit the FM that well.

I tried to find information on the landing gear well covers, but at the time I did not come across good references so I just winged them together. I added some hoses and lit the wells with one overhead led each. The landing gear arrays are attached to the hull with Rare Earth magnets, so the Falcon can easily be switched to flying mode. Later I learned that the well covers should be divided by thirds, not twos, but I'm not going to rebuild them.

Just as I was preparing to painting the model I began running across some interesting threads over here at RFP. I realized that I had missed a LOT of what can be done to the already fantastic Finemolds' kit. I couldn't go back anymore and so I settled for painting the thing with enamels, (yes, I'm oldschool with paints) and weathering it with assorted weathering products. I did not look at reference of the big studio models too closely because I wanted to do something that just looks good in a photograph, besides, I don't think I could've replicated the paint schemes on the studiomodels that well anyway. I still have to add a little more grit to the Falcon and mess with the PE grilles a bit for that definitive scruffy looks, but overall I'm happy with the paintjob, it looks great in photographs and has a lot of promise.

8036525308_b2cf467698_b.jpg

However, I'm in a quest for that perfect Millennium Falcon photograph and my Falcon just doesn't cut it, I missed too much detail. So, after some deep thoughts and profoundly inspired by the works of Alaneye, Scratchy, Mancini and many others, I had to give in and, well, there will be another Falcon in the workbench soon. I've purchased all the aftermarket items I need and know of, I also managed to catch one of the last Falcons from HLJ just a couple of days before it was discontinued. Now I'm broke, but I have all that I need for that ultimate model with a deeper level of detailing, rebuilt jawboxes and repositioned mandibles, the electronics will be a lot different, too. It'll be nerve racking!

I'll see if I have the balls to start a thread when the work on my second and last Falcon begins. Meanwhile, I hope you like the first Falcon, the one that ended up being a warm-up for the ultimate thing.

Enclosed below are a few project photos from along the building process.

Cheers,
Vesa

Ps: While building the new Falcon I'll keep a keen eye on a studioscale Y-Wing kit, that's my real dream, my unicorn! :D

Attachments

• Millennium Falcon Cockpit Light Array.jpg
    Millennium Falcon Cockpit Light Array.jpg
    773.7 KB · Views: 1,922
Last edited:
your falcon looks great.
i hope my can achieve such a nice finish
any tips to light positions on the hull?

otherwise i can only say great great great

Your photos are amazing, Avanaut! And that big photo - It doesn't look like a model at all - it looks like a huge and very real working ship.

your falcon looks great.
i hope my can achieve such a nice finish
any tips to light positions on the hull?

otherwise i can only say great great great

Thanks! For the positioning of the lighting I used the Star Wars Blueprints book's drawings crossreferenced with a schematic I found online. I cannot find the schematic again just now, but I'll post a link later. There were differences between the two and I don't think the studiomodels or -mockups were consistent either. No one truth there.

Your photos are amazing, Avanaut! And that big photo - It doesn't look like a model at all - it looks like a huge and very real working ship.

Thanks! What you say makes me happy, the illusion of reality is what I'm going for. :)

Last edited:
I have to agree with the amazing photography and your detailed work is very inspiring. Do you have any more WIP pictures?

I concur! I quickly skimmed through this thread and thought that was one of the full size y-wings that had been left outside of some shop! Awesome work!

'Looking forward to seeing your progress. Might you consider a photography tutorial sometime?

Sean

Beautiful clean well thought-out work, makes my cockpit look like a bag of spuds, I might need to sharpen up my work.....very inspiring

J

Whenever I hear of somebody chasing perfection, I am reminded of a quote from Vince Lombardi

“Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.”

I admire the work and the quest. Just make sure it doesn't consume you in the process. Model work is always going to be a learning experience no matter how many times we work on a specific subject and make it just that small bit better than the last one.

Thanks, I am very happy to receive feedback from you guys, a lot of familiar names there. :)

Whenever I hear of somebody chasing perfection, I am reminded of a quote from Vince Lombardi

“Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.”

I admire the work and the quest. Just make sure it doesn't consume you in the process. Model work is always going to be a learning experience no matter how many times we work on a specific subject and make it just that small bit better than the last one.

How right you are. We all know there is no such a thing as perfection, only the idea of it. It is important to point out that searching for the best is consuming, I, for one, was exhausted after the first Falcon and I swore I will never do another one – yet here I am. I'll settle for "small bit better", it doesn't take much to make the difference, I will also keep in mind that there is the possibility of failing, there always is. Can I make a better Falcon, did I actually learn anything from the first one? I don't know if I won't try.

I have to agree with the amazing photography and your detailed work is very inspiring. Do you have any more WIP pictures?

I didn't think I'd need much WIP photos, but I took a few along the way and I found four more to upload here. There are a couple of obscure lighting test shots and a couple of randoms.

The paint detail shot is a reminder of how these things do not always go as planned. I had some nice subtle salt grain mask details on the pre-shaded hull. Unfortunately, I was a bit careless mixing paint for one of the finishing layers and the ship ended up a bit bluish. Since there were all the leds and stuff inside, I couldn't burn the paint away with drain cleaner, I just had to make a very careful tan mist to shift the colour just a little bit and in the process I lost most of the salt masked detail. It ended up okay eventually, but I almost had a stroke. I'm sure you all are familiar with the feelings that go thru one's head in that situation.

-V

Last edited:
Nothing like a light test to breath life into a model. Incredible work Avanaut.

Thanks Scratchy! Indeed, the model was almost prettier without the lid. Almost.

Btw, for the second Falcon I've already gathered a heap of extra bits, including one of your resin radar dishes. Point of no return is long behind be. :)

V

Sounds like you've got the right attitude. Go chase that perfection and dazzle us with your results! I know one day I want to perhaps have the chance to try and outdo my old Falcon model (at least do one with lights), but the timing has to be just right.

I gotta say... that looks absolutely incredible bro... I love the work you've put into this especially the cockpit! Can't wait to see more pics!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back