Robocop: The Original for Pepakura **8/29 1st post update, foam glove**

Re: Robocop: The Original for Pepakura

"they'll fix you, they'll fix everything"
~robocop murphy

the spirit of classic robocop. . .good job mate, keep us posted :D

Finally got some free time this afternoon, so I thought I'd (finally) start modeling the forearm and gauntlet. The lower forearm section hinged open on some of the original gauntlets:

gloves.jpg

I would like to keep the forearm section in one piece for ease of assembly and strength, with a separate hand assembly below the wrist-ring. The body of the hand should be one piece, while the fingers will be sectioned.
If I could find a manufactured glove that looked good, I would just model a detail plate to attach over the top instead.

108handrendera.png

Thanks!

glove scaled to forearm, forearm starting to come around. Still have to articulate the individual fingers and scale down that severe case of sausage-thumb.

109r3.png

I've been wanting to learn 3D modeling for years. What program are you using? How long have you been doing modeling?

I've been wanting to learn 3D modeling for years. What program are you using? How long have you been doing modeling?

Most of my previous rendering experience is with mechanical engineering in manufacturing, I learned through autocad and solidworks. I'm modeling this in Blender, both to learn the software and also get used to working with more organic shapes (liking these ?!?*#! hands I'm staring at). If you want to try a hand at it, I'd definitely start with Blender. It's free, and it's powerful enough to do just about anything that you need it to. Solidworks was MSRPing at $3000 when I started using it with work stuff about a year ago, and the learning curve was a lot different (at least for me).
I picked up blender in November when I designed the cannon for Jackie'sIsRockin's Iron Patriot suit. I talked myself into modeling this monkey-suit because I need more experience with Blender, and nobody else seems to want to model this for Pepakura :( It can be improved upon, but at least it's not a cardboard box with holes cut in it. :lol
After I finish articulating these fingers tonight, I'll post a render of the full suit so far. I have the entire suit proportioned to the same scale minus the helmet, so I can start unfolding and posting some peps pretty soon. Thanks for looking!

I have Blender (at least downloaded it) as well as academic versions of 3D Max and Lightwave; it's a matter of putting myself in front of the PC, using the tutorials and *learning* :)

I work on a computer all day (digital graphic/web design) and by the end of the day, my brain is mush.

Well, maybe none of the 3D guys wanted to tackle this, but there seems to be a lot of people that want to see it happen, so you're a hero :).

Nah, Robocop is the hero. Until Robocop 3. That movie was awful. Robocop 3 had robot ninjas in it, and it was still awful.

jan10arender.png

Cleaned up the bicep and adjusted the forearm. The biceps need a couple of details added (nothing crazy) but they are very close to done.
jan11bicep.png

I'll get to work on the helmet tomorrow. I suppose I could have just finished that first. Oh well. The helmet (for me) is a lot easier to model than most of this.

Nah, Robocop is the hero. Until Robocop 3. That movie was awful. Robocop 3 had robot ninjas in it, and it was still awful.

jan10arender.png

:eek a headless robocop. . .

and yeah robocop 3 sucks. . .that movie storyline is set 10 years after the first movie right? :unsure

1993. Everything got too PC, so Robocop stopped shooting at bad guys. Also, Peter Weller was gone, and the new robocop's actual face just didn't look right to me.

Yeah, sorry but still headless. I could have stuck one of those other file heads on there for now, but I thought it was better not to. A lot of file hijacking seems to happen on here, so I'd rather not create confusion later by including anybody else's with mine :D
I just finished separating the feet's hinged toe sections and building mounts for them. After I pop some leg cylinders in there (and after a birthday party to go to) I'll stop procrastinating and get the helmet going.

***ADDED***

After starting to model the calf pistons, I think the rods should be made out of pvc or even thick cardboard tube stock. I will still model these out with details, but using a found material would save a lot of time (and headaches) in building these. The cylinder does not serve any actual purpose as a piston, but the rod needs to be able to slide through and reorient the cylinder angle without it binding. So yeah, a pvc sleeve around a smaller diameter tube for the rod would work great. The cylinders also could be built entirely out of pvc components, but I'll leave that to greater minds. Once you start scaling all of your pvc sizes can go out the window. Thanks for following my work!

Last edited:

this is going so good.

actually considering giving this a crack when its available.
watched 1 and 2 last night as my wife hadn't seen, gave me a bit of inspiration :D

There were aluminum leg pistons offered at one time. I have no idea who offered them, though :(

Depending on finish size, a hacked screen-door closer might even work - as long as it was de-activated (or you walk in slow-motion! :lol)

There were aluminum leg pistons offered at one time. I have no idea who offered them, though :(

Depending on finish size, a hacked screen-door closer might even work - as long as it was de-activated (or you walk in slow-motion! :lol)

I saw those, I think they were machined originally for replacements on a screen-used suit, and then the guy tried to sell more? I read somewhere that the originals on the movie suit were fiberglass and kept breaking, so they eventually switched over to machined aluminum. Nice thinking with the screen-door closer, a lot of useful parts and I think EVERYBODY that owns a house has a broken one in their garage. :lol

this is going so good.

actually considering giving this a crack when its available.
watched 1 and 2 last night as my wife hadn't seen, gave me a bit of inspiration :D

Good to hear! Hopefully start getting pieces ready for unfolding this next week.

jan13helmeta.png

Yeah - you know how "they" were bi***ing about so many Iron Man builds? Wait until these files hit! :lol

Hey laellee- are you going to model the neck seal and elbow inserts too?

Yeah - you know how "they" were bi***ing about so many Iron Man builds? Wait until these files hit! :lol

Hey laellee- are you going to model the neck seal and elbow inserts too?

About the elbow liners, that gap is going to definitely need something in there. I'm thinking of a short tube sleeve of thin black foam to fill the gap, with foam strips added for detail. Then take the tube, pull it over a length of flexible dryer hose that your arm can fit through comfortably, and attach that hosing to the insides of the bicep and forearm. The foam will be flexible but look bulky, and the liner hose will keep the foam from kinking and wearing prematurely. I can make a foam template for this.

I made a bib-style collar that covers the neck and (preferably) separates in the back. The helmet is being modeled in three sections, but the finished product should be only two pieces: The main helmet with chin strap, and then the hinged back plate (so you can get your head in). Once I see how these parts interact, I can model a neck seal ring. Sorry for the long explanation, I'm trying to give great range of motion at the neck while not ending up with a neoprene-looking scuba suit tube :lol

The helmet top and ears are finished, going to start on the more difficult stuff in the morning. I'll try and post update pics tomorrow evening.

Amazing work! And it's even better that you are a fellow Minnesotan! Once you start building, let me know if you need any help, or once it's done I want to check it out in person! Heh

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back