Iron man motorised faceplate electronics tutorial!!!

thanks for that yeah i do get servo noise what do i change to stop it

You need to change the value of the servo positions for one that the servo you are using accepts. (usually servos can handle 0º to 180º, but most of them are 1º to 160º)

You can do that by changing the value inside the ()

i will mark the place for you on the code:

Code:
#include <Servo.h>
Servo myservo;
Servo myservo1;
int val; 
int val2; 
int buttonState;
int servostatus = 0;
int switchPin =2; 
int ledPin = 5;
void setup() 
{

myservo.attach(9);
myservo1.attach(10);
pinMode(switchPin, INPUT);
pinMode(ledPin, OUTPUT);
buttonState = digitalRead(switchPin);

myservo.write(1);       //<------------- edit the servo 1 position here
myservo1.write(160);  //<------------- edit the servo 2 position here (aways the inverse of the 1st position)
}

void loop()
{
val = digitalRead(switchPin); 
delay(10); 
val2 = digitalRead(switchPin); 
if (val == val2) { 
if (val != buttonState) { 
if (val == LOW) { 
if (servostatus == 0) { 
servostatus = 1; 

myservo.write(0);       //<------------- edit the servo 1 position here
myservo1.write(190);  //<------------- edit the servo 2 position here (aways the inverse of the 1st position)

delay(1000);
digitalWrite(ledPin, HIGH);
delay(50);
digitalWrite(ledPin, LOW);
delay(00);
digitalWrite(ledPin, HIGH);
delay(50);
delay(00);

// fading
for(int fadeValue = 0 ; fadeValue <= 255; fadeValue +=5) {
// sets the value (range from 0 to 255):
analogWrite(ledPin, fadeValue);
delay(30);

}

}
else {
servostatus = 0; 

delay(15);
myservo.write(210);   //<------------- edit the servo 1 position here
myservo1.write(0);    //<------------- edit the servo 2 position here (aways the inverse of the 1st position)

}
}
}
buttonState = val; 
}
}

The way your code is set you have 3 different positions for the same servos along the code, change it to the same positions, a position that your servos can handle, and try it out. (remeber that the servo 2 is the inverse of the servo 1)

Hope that can help you out.

the wireless receiver should be connected to the pin 2 of the arduino, follow the instructions of your RF board hookup

It works like a 2 pin push button:

2 pins for the VCC and GND, and another 2 pins to interrupts or let it go the I/O signal

OR

it works like a 5V emitter:

2 pins for the VCC and GND and 1 pin for the signal Output

you need to know what you have in your hands to work with.

like i said to you, the code i paste for you, had your sets unchanged, you need to tweak it to work with your servos, look the data sheet to find out what your servos can do and how your RF board works.

Hey guys, sorry this is a bit off topic about the helmet but I'm using this for the flaps on the back of an Iron Man suit. So my question is how many volts would it take to power 4 servos? I'm using the micro maestro 6 channel. The chip is powered by 4 AA batteries but not sure how much voltage it will take to for the 4 servos.

Thanks

the voltage would be whatever your servos need/require..

* no clue what: 'micro maestro 6 channel ' is..

4 x AA batteries is about 6v or so...

what you need to ask yourself is can your battery source supply enough 'current' for all those servos under load.

the voltage would be whatever your servos need/require..

* no clue what: 'micro maestro 6 channel ' is..

4 x AA batteries is about 6v or so...

what you need to ask yourself is can your battery source supply enough 'current' for all those servos under load.

The servos require 4.8v each, sorry this might sound dumb but I wasn't sure if you had to supplay 4.8v to all of the so around 20v or a lowere amount could power them all.

The Pololu Maestro is designed for servos and has a input for two power sources, one for the chip (the 4 AA battery pack I have) and one for jst to power the servos. Sorry if that wasn't clear. Here's a diagram so you know what i'm talking about:

image.jpg

each servo will require the +4.8v

not familiar with that board.. looks to be some sort of servo/stepper driver board or something?

not clear why it would have USB? is chip programmable or something? or does it work over serial?

looks like it probably regulates the voltage for you to your steppers?

why does it need 2 power sources?

Is this a standalone board or something? not to be used with an Arduino or other MCU?

Yes, i'ts a standalone board and the exta power source is there because it's able to hold 5 servos at once. Also it is programmable by the pololu program :) I'm not sure about it regulating the voltage.

So what battery source should I use? I'e seen a 24v battery holder which holds 2 twelve volt batteries. Would that be okay? I thought it would because they re all 4.8-6v and 6 x 4 = 24.

Thanks

I wired everything and programed as the first post instructions
Everything seems fine
I used arduino uno
But i wanted to use my pro mini, but couldnt get it in sync, i dont know what im doing wrong with that one
Tommorow ill begin installing the servos to the helmet ill let people know how it goes, thanks for this thread very useful thanks all ;)

JWMines

LOL, the 6 servos will need 4.8V to work. They will be linked to the battery in parallel.

1 servo = 4.8v
6 servos = 4.8v
290 servos = 4.8v
over 9000 servos = 4.8v

follow this:

alltheparanaue_zps0d4b15ae.jpg

A more graphic version inside the spoiler
alltheparanaue1_zpsd92176cb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@JWMines

LOL, the 6 servos will need 4.8V to work. They will be linked to the battery in parallel.

1 servo = 4.8v
6 servos = 4.8v
290 servos = 4.8v
over 9000 servos = 4.8v

follow this:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y87/oozi/alltheparanaue_zps0d4b15ae.jpg

A more graphic version inside the spoiler

Thankyou so much! Yeah sorry about that not to experienced with electronics but this really helps out thanks! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I have read, just a few posts back, it would appear that you just simply swap the switch for a wireless system. Maybe Demolition could elaborate on this? Nice work Demolition by the way.

From what I have read, just a few posts back, it would appear that you just simply swap the switch for a wireless system. Maybe Demolition could elaborate on this? Nice work Demolition by the way.

Hmm must have missed that bit. I figured it would be as simple as that but I sent him a PM any way to get details on it. I can't afford any of my tech until I sell some Halo lids, stupid visors not turned up yet so that's on hold! :(

Didn't realise the Halo stuff was still selling. Saw an entire armour on eBay the other day, no bids, starting @£500.

I really need to get my groove on and re edit the first post. Motivation=0

In other news, I'll be using the system in the first post for flight stabilisers on mk7. Should be done in a few weeks. Will post vids once its complete.

hi guys yeah the first cheap reciver and transmiter i could not get to work i didnt really expect much for £2.50 lol, so i went for the adafruit kit comes complete with key fob they are really cheap as long as you live in the states but i got stung £12 for postage to the UK, But its still a nice product i brought one key fob with 4 buttons and a couple of recievers the plan is to use them on my back flaps and missle launcher all with the same key fob,It was super simple to install i just removed the switch and replaced with the reciver and it just worked from the get go no extra code was needed, Heres a link to the web site i seached everywhere but couldnt find a UK seller :( they came fast tho only waited a few days Simple RF T4 Receiver - 315MHz Toggle Type ID: 1097 - $4.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

Question: For the people who are attaching their servos to the helmet's Widow's Peak, how are you mounting them there? Are you using a specific servo mount or are you fabricating something?

Question: For the people who are attaching their servos to the helmet's Widow's Peak, how are you mounting them there? Are you using a specific servo mount or are you fabricating something?

I think maybe therealstark pics of the one he did could help you better, i remember he has that sistem with some arms he designed then 3d printed

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back