Star Trek Into Darkness costume discussion

So I found these on the Bay.

Brand new in the original box.
Question is, should they be dyed matte black, satin or gloss black?

Last edited:
Don't paint them, dye them. Black leather dye is just black. Go to your local Tandy Leather and pick up some Eco-Flo coal black leather dye (NOT the professional water stain, that stuff is awful) and a bottle of satin shene. Apply the dye with a foam sponge brush and the finish with a rag.

Thanks, Risu. I happen to have some Fiebings oil-based black dye and Satin Shene. I'll try those. Should I prep the boots with a light wiping of acetone or other prepping agent or do the leather and pleather parts take dye immediately?

Another quick question: Anyone have any luck removing rank stripes from the Anovos "Into Darkness" tunics? I want to take a Kirk tunic and demote myself to Lt. for a Sulu outfit.

It's not really necessary, you can wipe them down with water first to get dirt off, or a low intensity isopropyl alcohol if you want. The number one thing is sponge brush. Apply the dye to as much of the surface as possible as quickly as possible to get the most even color. You will get dye on your work surface, do it somewhere where that won't matter. With that type of dye, you should probably wear gloves.

okay so this is the last piece of my screen accurate STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS Starfleet Uniform. Anyone know where I can find the rider tech or a brown dkny rebel to stain? Any ideas are very welcome.

There are 3 pairs of DKNY Rebel boots on the big bay right now. Same seller I got mine from.

I finally got an ANOVOS tunic and was able to demote myself to lieutenant. Getting close to completing Sulu.
image.jpgimage.jpg

Very cool! How did you get the stripes off? Did they just peel, or did you have to do anything special?

Risu, it took one tool: a fingernail. I scraped the stripes at the sleeve seam until I was able to grab the peeled end and gently pull with my thumb and index finger. Stretch the fabric slightly as you continue to peel off the stripe. No residue left behind!

If the stripe breaks (and it will), just scrape the end with a fingernail and keep going.

I'm not sure how easily the stripe over the hem stitches will come off. Anyone wanting to demote to ensign should be careful.

Old thread here guys, but I'm looking into putting an outfit together just to display in my media room.

I'm wondering about the pants...I know the design pretty well from lots of images, but I'm wondering about color. In some shots they look VERY dark, in others they look much more "gray." Which is accurate?? Really dark charcoal gray, or a slightly lighter shade?

Thanks!

Post pics when you're done! :D

For sure.

I'll be just doing a pretty generic security officer...red shirt, charcoal pants, and really that's about it...on a mannequin to display in the room.

I was trying to figure out what "costume" I'd go with for the room, and after looking at a few other options, nothing seems quite as recognizable or as iconic as just a standard Starfleet uniform.

I think it's gonna be awesome!!

Risu, it took one tool: a fingernail. I scraped the stripes at the sleeve seam until I was able to grab the peeled end and gently pull with my thumb and index finger. Stretch the fabric slightly as you continue to peel off the stripe. No residue left behind!

If the stripe breaks (and it will), just scrape the end with a fingernail and keep going.

I'm not sure how easily the stripe over the hem stitches will come off. Anyone wanting to demote to ensign should be careful.
I was looking to do the same thing. Thanks for the tip!

Hi I was thinking about dressing as Kirk for Halloween. I was going to get these pants any thoughts pleasegray moto jeans.jpg. Also I'm not sure if I should get this color or black

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back