Star Trek Into Darkness costume discussion

The style of the sleeve is certainly not like Into Darkness. Risu, how do you find it not like the first film?

Last edited:
Apologies for the huge pictures.

Star Trek: (nice raglan seam)
Star_Trek_2009_Kirk_And_Spock_freecomputerdesktopwallpaper_1600.jpg

Into Darkness: (horrible curved seam that bunches up and makes the sleeves drape poorly)
Star-Trek-Into-Darkness-Pine.png

The horrible eyesore of bad stitches that Anovos sent me:

A. The collar has multiple stitching mistakes that make it bulky and cause a huge mess of wrinkling all around the neckline.
B. The raglan seams aren't pressed correctly or something and the shirt fabric covers them up.

Here are some more options for pants that are very close to the Fabrixquare ones. Belt loops and pockets can be possibly removed, colors dyed to match. The prices are $50-$125 depending on exact style:

http://tinyurl.com/lwdcqj5 (if the link breaks just go to guylook.com and search 'Biker jean').

Looks like the same exact stuff from Fabrixquire.
Any chance of getting one of those Asian cosplay suppliers to make the boots?

I'm looking for a good Harrison/Khan coat. Didn't do a lot of research yet, but I thought it might've shown already...but apparently not.

I purchased the Rogue Moto pants Tuesday. Customer service with Rogue was outstanding; they shipped the pants lightning fast - got 'em on Thursday - and on the phone were accommodating and helpful. The gent on the other line was interested in why I was ordering them; most are following the styles of Kanye or Beiber instead of Kirk or Bones (Not judging). Needless to say, there is probably a man watching Star Trek Into Darkness to see if their pants really do look like the movie pants.

I like 'em. They have the back panel ribbing as well as the front leg ribbing that is common in the '13 pants. They do have back pockets with bilateral pair rivets on each pocket, and a zipper. The zipper is gnarly; my OCD screamed at me about those teeth gnawing on the backside of my Anovos tunic while the BAMF zipper tab refused to do anything but jut out at odd angles. The ribbing on the knee and the backside has a Lycra/Spandex interweave to retain shape. The inner pocket has a leather reinforcement with rivets at both ends and there is a suede 'Rogue' fashion label on the right posterior pants hem. It is sewn so it goes inside the hem which contraindicates removal in my opinion.
They are the 'skinny' moto jeans currently popular in fashion, so I ordered a size 36 and reduced the waist to size 34 with a pleat on both sides.

STPants01.jpgSTPants02.jpgSTPants03.jpg

The stitching was solid throughout but their rivets on the pockets that were craptastic; I put the pants on and one rivet-head shot off and scared my cat. (I have my mother's thighs. I accept it.)
I ended up removing the rivets on the 5th pocket and replacing them with Tandy rivets. (I do use this pocket.)

STPants07.jpg

After the back pockets were removed I beheld the sight of the join between back pocket and jeans. It was white, as if it wasn't dyed at all, and it resisted every effort I threw at it to take pigment of any sort.
The pants have a coating that needs to be removed by washing before you can do anything to them; it is like a repellent.
I stitched the holes where the rivets were located before washing.

They have a tag on the inner-lining that states these are "Dry Clean Only". Needless to say I was using my Google-Fu to find out what to do to remedy this situation as I needed to dye these if I wanted to wear them. So when I went to Rogue online site and they say they are "100% Cotton. Machine wash."
With the suede label, leather-reinforced 5th pocket, and Lycra/Spandex stitching I can understand why they want to be "Dry Clean Only". However, the denim isn't like the 511 Levi Denim/Lycra mix - common among the Japanese Denim styles of Balmain, Ralph Lauren, and Uglybros - so I threw caution to the wind and put 'em into the wash to get rid of that protective element.

With a 5 gallon bucket and a box of RIT dye in hand, I followed instructions and dyed the jeans with Black RIT dye. I followed their ‘Bucket’ instructions, using 2 gallons of water and 1 cup of sea salt.

After dyeing I rinsed in warm water and then moved onto cool water when the dye wasn’t so thick. After it started to clear up I put them in the wash on Permanent Press using Warm wash/Cold rinse and washed them twice. I added a Lap sponge in the second wash to see if the dye really would affect other fabrics. The answer is: Yes.

STPants09.jpg

After washing twice I put ‘em into the dryer on Low setting. And here is the result:

STPants05.jpg

As you can see the dye took but so did the rest of the fabric. Granted, it’s better than what I started with and it’s barely noticeable unless you are looking at my bum.

STPants06.jpg

All in all, I am satisfied until I find a better ways-or-means to improve this. My intention is to add a welt-pocket so I can carry my wallet at conventions. While not Screen Accurate, I won’t be entering any contests or seeking acclaim for being ‘spot-on’ so that doesn’t bug me. I’m very happy with the results. :)

ST0905.jpg

Last edited:
For leather I feel that is a rather low price...not bad..not bad at all. I do wonder, that if you open it, you do get to see the ribbed edges. I don't think that's the same coat though. He goes through 3 coats I thought...
It's a very nice option. Thanks!

Yeah, that leather coat is missing the overlapping pieces on the back yoke. The leather looks like a nice quality, though, for the price.

Khan wore at least four coats in the movie (not that I've seen the movie a lot *coughIdon'thaveaproblemIcanstopwhenIwant*): the silver high-collared number outside the children's hospital; the long black one when he is checking on his agent going into Section 31; his Qo'noS hooded getup with the Blade Runner style collar; and the coat he lifts off a chair for the end fight sequence. Lots of options there.

hey folks... this would be my first time posting, but i've been lurking for a while i guess. was just curious if anyone has a lead on any way to secure one of anovos' single-piece trek 09 uniforms? obviously division color and size matter, so it's a long shot, but thought it might be worth asking. thanks!

Yeah, that leather coat is missing the overlapping pieces on the back yoke. The leather looks like a nice quality, though, for the price.

Khan wore at least four coats in the movie (not that I've seen the movie a lot *coughIdon'thaveaproblemIcanstopwhenIwant*): the silver high-collared number outside the children's hospital; the long black one when he is checking on his agent going into Section 31; his Qo'noS hooded getup with the Blade Runner style collar; and the coat he lifts off a chair for the end fight sequence. Lots of options there.

I'm going for the hooded option because I love that one the most. I forgot about the first one actually, which looks like a thicker version of the last coat.

General Frosty, did you do anything to the Fabrixquire jeans ? They look darker and less worn than the ones on their site.

Last edited:
Apologies for the huge pictures.

Star Trek: (nice raglan seam)
View attachment 195334

Into Darkness: (horrible curved seam that bunches up and makes the sleeves drape poorly)
View attachment 195335

The horrible eyesore of bad stitches that Anovos sent me:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/NinjaRisu/DSC03349_zps6cd322e7.jpg

A. The collar has multiple stitching mistakes that make it bulky and cause a huge mess of wrinkling all around the neckline.
B. The raglan seams aren't pressed correctly or something and the shirt fabric covers them up.

*Bump*
I just spent about ten minutes looking for the difference and I still don't see it. Everyone seems to have different views on the ANOVOS tunics though. Are they going to last a lifetime or are they full of stitching mistakes?
When I first saw the ANOVOS tunics I thought the only hard bit for the tunics would be the price, which is relatively cheap in comparison with a lot of the Doctor Who stuff I've looked at and bought, but I guess nothing's quite that simple.
I hate skinny jeans. I love slim fits. ANOVOS is supposed to be making pants as well, according to their Facebook orders begin on July 10 and shipping on July 31st.ANOVOS Star Trek Movie Pants.jpg Might be a good idea to wait for reviews if you had issues with your tunics though. hey're $150, which is lower mid range if you're looking at the ranges pensive posted of $50-$125 verses the Balmain pants for $800-$1000. If the ANOVOS pants end up with bad reviews I might do the fabrixquare ones. I tend to just go ahead if the reviews are mixed in the way the Tunics are, not just with cosplay. It's worked well so far. So I'm pretty certain I'm going to save up for the ANOVOS Tunic.
I don't know which color I want to get though. In terms of playing a character I'd probably go for Chekov, but I'm thinking of just being myself if I were to be a part of Starfleet. Anyway the Command Tunic they sell has Captain braids and stuff, which I'm pretty sure Chekov's doesn't. I'd probably want to be an Engineer, but I value my life. Chekov did wear a red tunic though, so that could be dual. But Chekov's tunic doesn't appear to have the braids like Scotty's does. I second TheWaitingRoman on wanting to find Chekov's goggles and andveryginger on the 2009 cadet uniforms. As soon as I saw the cadet uniforms I decided I needed one. This is really addicting, I wonder when I'll go broke... I've (almost) always loved goggles like those.
As for the communicator, tricorder and phaser these are the best I could find for the movies: Star Trek Movie Tricorder Lights Sounds Authentic Movie Replica Playmates New | eBay Star Trek Movie Communicator Enterprise Starfleet Sound FX Kirk Spock Holster | eBay Amazon.com: Star Trek Into Darkness Starfleet Phaser Limited Edition Gift Set (Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack): Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, Benedict Cumberbatch, Alice Eve, Karl Urban, Simon Pegg, Leonard Nimoy, Anton Yelchin, John Cho, Peter WelTricorder.JPGCommunicator.JPGST Into Darkness Phaser.jpg
I think the phaser is pretty legit but the Tricorder and Communicator are toys. But I couldn't find anything better. These items are pretty far away in order of what and when I'm getting things. Somewhat functional Tricorders already exist but they don't look like the movie ones and more of the technologies exist than what are offered with them. And there's one being developed for medical use but that's pretty different. There's plenty of other stuff but this post is getting too long.

I received my Fabrixquare jeans today. I was worried that they might be too tight but they're actually a little loose around the waist. I normally wear a size 30 jean and ordered the mediums.

I received my Fabrixquare jeans today. I was worried that they might be too tight but they're actually a little loose around the waist. I normally wear a size 30 jean and ordered the mediums.

Myself, my brother and two friends have the same problem with them.
My friend took his to a tailor and had the waist brought in. He is more pleased with them now.

I don't see anything on Facebook about nuTrek pants. Then again, I could never see their other updates, either. Not sure why. Would like to see what they look like.

I don't see anything on Facebook about nuTrek pants. Then again, I could never see their other updates, either. Not sure why. Would like to see what they look like.

ANOVOS seems to have two Facebooks. ANOVOS and Star Trek Into Darkness : Anovos Licensed Costumes & Replicas
The second one has the updates on the pants. Here are some of them:
On July 10th "Ok guys, i knew when I first teased the uniform pants that we'd be able to take orders sometime after the 10th, and I finally got word that we'll be opening up orders starting Monday morning!
Again, the Star Trek Movie pants and the Star Trek: TOS Season 3 pants, are both debuting Monday at $149.95!
I'll try to either post, or post a link to a sizing chart for these today so you can refer to that prior to submitting your order. DON'T rely on your average retail size. A true measurement is what you'll need to get a pair of pants to fit just right.
Reminder: we'll also be introducing our new Star Trek Into Darkness uniform undershirt on Monday. This new undershirt replicates the look John Harrison, (and Kirk and Spock) wears in the new movie for $89.95. So yeah, lots of new stuff on its way, and that's all before the new line of TOS tunics drops!
992909_498026533611833_307936490_n.jpg"
On July 1st "ANOVOS STAR TREK MOVIE PANTS:
$149.95 USD
Orders for these AND our STAR TREK: The Original Series; Season 3 Pants, are scheduled to begin around July 10th, with shipping to begin around July 31st.
We’ll have more details on both of these pants (including more pictures!) over the next few days, but we wanted to get the pricing out to you as soon as we could.
1012348_494082320672921_2084082912_n.jpg"
On June 30th "PANTS UPDATE!
In a late breaking development (in other words, I had my dates for stuff wrong...sorry guys), it turns out that we'll have these pants available for order within the next week or so (we're thinking around July 10th)!!! With (and this is the really cool part) shipping to start only ten days or so after San Diego Comic Con...or rather around the 31st of July!
995699_493677197380100_416375095_n.jpg"

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back