Star Trek Into Darkness costume discussion

Boots fit standard as far as I can tell.
We are also wearing the new ANOVOS hero tunics and undershirts. My friend on the far left is wearing the Roddenberry.com shirt and my girlfriend is wearing the first-run ANOVOS dress.
The mens boots are slightly modified Harley "Bryson" boots. They are a suitable stand-in until we can get proper reproductions.

Great picture. What did you use for the "pants" (silly Yanks with your silly words!)?

For the pants, we all got these:
Mens Real Biker Jeans-Black at Fabrixquare

They are not accurate in the way that it has pockets BUT, all the other details are there, they fit great and are realatively inexpensive.
Lots of people commented on them, so the look worked.

Thanks, they look great. I'd happily sacrifice accuracy for the pockets - I don't see that as a negative. Even when cosplaying you still need to have your wallet, keys and phone handy!

Four of us in our group have them, sadly our fourth man could not make the premiere. What's good about multiple people wearing the same Jeans, even though we know they are innacurate, to everyone else we all look totally legit since we match.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Gotta love those washed out jeans sizing, their Large is a 32 which I would say really is more on the Small going on Medium size... Now I know how girls feel when they talk about fashion on real sized people and not skinny frames haha!

The Jeans feel real sexy!
20130515_191907_zps7059bead.jpg

And my beautiful and geeky girl:
20130515_191940_zps64c99242.jpg

Out of interest how large a waist do you normally wear compared to the sizing of the jeans?

I wear a 31". They have only three sizes of this Jean, so I got a large. Lots of room in the waist but helps keep the legs from being too tight. They are held up with a plain black Web belt.

I wear a 31". They have only three sizes of this Jean, so I got a large. Lots of room in the waist but helps keep the legs from being too tight. They are held up with a plain black Web belt.

I noticed, for me Im a 34 so would need an XL or even XXL to fit into their sizing... oh well I guess I will have to keep looking for when I get my own tunic!

I got a pair of DKNY Alcantar boots off Ebay last fall as an alternate for the Hyper 2s the women wore (and evidently I was lucky in doing so, after reading this thread!) and am curious as to how they were modified for the film. Were the buckles at the top moved down to the ankle? (Could give me another reason to go see the movie again. :D)

The mens boots are slightly modified Harley "Bryson" boots. They are a suitable stand-in until we can get proper reproductions.

Frosty, thanks for finding the boots.

Has anyone considered taking the Bryson boots to a cobbler to have Rebel style soles put on?

I noticed, for me Im a 34 so would need an XL or even XXL to fit into their sizing... oh well I guess I will have to keep looking for when I get my own tunic!

Cheers,
Long-time reader, first-time poster.

A bump with some links for possible fill-ins for the pants and the boots. Many thanks to the fans at the Anovos Facebook page for all the great information and assistance!

The pants from the movies - both 2009 and 2013 - are based off of the movement allowing jeans worn by motorcyclists, which has been adopted by fashion designers who created the Moto Jeans that are currently in fashion. (It is crazy how many Kanye West forums I sifted through searching for a suitable pair of jeans.)
Balmain sells their pants for $800-1000 a pair, so hopefully these will be much more affordable alternatives.

Uglybros Featherbed Black Biker Jeans
These are akin to the pants worn by Mr. Cosentino and his cosplay crew for the premiere. (Brilliant work, mate!)
These are riding pants so they have slips for the side and knee armor worn by bikers. Durable but not as durable as Kevlar woven-knit jeans for those who are motorcyclists as well. They are the closest match I have found to the 2013 movie pants though they do have back pockets.
They go from size 28-36.
Featherbed-Black

Rogue Moto Cross Jeans
Design is similar to the 2013 movie but it's without the denim panel that covers the fly. Back pockets have zippers and are sewn on, so it may be possible to seam-rip these off and sport the no-back-pocket look as the movie.
These come in size 28-38, with odd sizes in between up to size 34.
Rogue Moto Cross Jean

The Rogue Moto Cross Jean I just purchased; I am a cyclist (street and mountain) so my thighs are thicker than what these skinny jeans allow, so I went up a size and plan on tailoring the waist in. I spoke to them on the phone - outstanding customer service - and their shipping is free.

Rider Tec's Men's Biker Boots
These have the reinforced stiching on the inner-toe which lends to the appearance of the DKNY boots from STXI and STXII. (Kudos to Mr. Vitale at the Anovos FB page for this recommendation!)
In sizes 7.5-13.
Rider Tecs Men's Biker Boot | Overstock.com

Tour Master Solution WP 2.0
These boots have the inner zipper with a velcro cover as well as the reinforced stitching on the inner-toe and motorcyclist tread similar to the DKNY boots. These are motorcycle boots so they ankles have reinforced armor over the ankle bones. But they have the reinforced ribbing which detracts from the smooth look of the 2009 and 2013 movie boots.
Sizes run a bit large so if you decide on these purchase a size .5 smaller. (I run 10.5 and a 10 fits perfectly, and they are leather so it will stretch and conform to your foot the more you wear it.) Though I got a lot of compliments on them, they aren't Screen Accurate. (But I love 'em and will be adding a buckle to the mouth. :D)
Tour Master Solution WP 2.0 Road Boots - Street Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore

I wear the tunic and undertunic from Anovos.
ANOVOS Productions LLC

Hope this helps others get their kit completed! Keep up the outstanding work and know that there are some people who lurk and learn. :)
Peace!

I'm attending a sci-fi con in November and thought I might go as a JJTrek officer... but is there a mid-range price option betweeen the cheap Rubies costumes and the Anovos replicas? Or should I just start saving my pennies for an Anovos?

I'm attending a sci-fi con in November and thought I might go as a JJTrek officer... but is there a mid-range price option betweeen the cheap Rubies costumes and the Anovos replicas? Or should I just start saving my pennies for an Anovos?

I have been unable to find a mid-range alternative.
What's the price range you are looking for? (A complete outfit that is.)

The Anovos tunics are brilliant and much more durable in construction then the Rubies tunics. While the Rubies tunics are all one piece - you get the Rubies undertunic as part of the tunic - the Anovos are two separate shirts. You can go 'casual' without the overtunic or go 'in uniform' and wear the overtunic as well. And as said above the tunics are durable; you can buy it once and with proper care it will last you a lifetime. My Rubies tunics require constant upkeep after wear. :(

That's not to say you can't fudge a bit if you want to find alternatives. If you aren't looking to enter any cosplay contests that have an attention to detail to Screen Accuracy, you can wear a black mock turtleneck underneath the Anovos tunic, black jeans, and black 'Engineer' boots. The major cost would be the Anovos tunic.

My opinion? The Anovos tunics are totally worth the price. They look like the movie tunics and have the quality and durability that I look for in all my clothing, be it for Star Trek, Steampunk, or the SCA. :)

Hope this helped.
Live long and prosper!

Last edited:
Is anybody else not a fan of the arcing raglan seams on the new shirts? I was expecting nice smooth ones and was a little disappointed when I got my shirt and the shoulders were really funky.

Is anybody else not a fan of the arcing raglan seams on the new shirts? I was expecting nice smooth ones and was a little disappointed when I got my shirt and the shoulders were really funky.

I agree. ANOVOS is good, but it seems they have trouble with first-run items.
Aside from how difficult it is to get the undershirt over your head due to the lack of stretch in the collar and no hidden zipper, the yoke seam is heavy which slightly shows when wearing the tunic and the shoulder stitching is pointy.
I was told that they are developing the "Into Darkness" style undershirt, which has no low sloping yoke seam, a higher collar and ribbed cuffs. Personally, I hate ribbed cuffs.
If someone can find the right fabric, I'd love to have an Into Darkness style shirt with a plain cuff style.

In all honesty, the fabric is quite gorgeous for the undershirt, but for the price, I was hoping for no design flaws.

Well that was aside from the flaws. My shirt was terribly sewn together, and they're going to exchange it, I'm just not sure if they're going to do it in time for the con I need it for next month. I'm actually referring to the bad fit of the shirts in Into Darkness, which is the way they went with the replicas instead of the original standard raglan seam from the first movie.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back