Star Wars movie set den build

I must say I'm disappointed with the small number of views this new message area is getting. Ever since this thread was moved into the "costumes"-looking area, it doesn't get much notice. I see where this new area can have a new post that sits most of a day before another person's post comes along. I suppose readership will improve when people start looking into this "Popular Franchises" area where this Star Wars message has been spun off. Spun off like a Tie Fighter that's had a panel blown off by a laser cannon. :unsure Wobble-wobble-wobbling away from the camera, disappearing into far space.

I added more details to the power couplers. There are some green lights and a doodad.
attachment.php

Above you can see the one that's on the left side of my window, now has 2 hoses and two green "lights".
attachment.php

And my living room floor is home to construction of a long 10-foot ceiling panel. I've got a couple panels glued to the vinyl rails. And another two panels in front are being marked for hole-cutting. I'll find some way to have light come down through some rectangle holes here and there.

My wife will be glad when I am done with the large ceiling pieces. I'm pushing the limits of her patience. I have filled up part of the livingroom with building supplies, occupied the kitchen table with sub-assemblies, and now am taking up 10-ft of the livingroom walkway. :angel We can't wait to get this center section painted, glued, greeblied, and hung up.

Attachments

• ceiling 26.jpg
    ceiling 26.jpg
    413.4 KB · Views: 2,974
  • ceiling 27.jpg
    ceiling 27.jpg
    510.8 KB · Views: 3,048
This thing just keeps going. Do you have a plan or are you just going to keep going until the rebels come and blow up your house?

-Eric

This thing just keeps going. Do you have a plan or are you just going to keep going until the rebels come and blow up your house?

-Eric

The construction will be confined to this one room. Floor, walls, ceiling, furniture. After the ceiling is done, I will install a sound system. Then I will build a simple 2-person sitting bench for the back of the room. Visitors can sit there and freak out, I suppose. :) I'm thinking about building a holochess table in front of the bench. Has anyone ever built a full-size version of that?

Loving the progress man, it's very inspiring as I am trying to finish my own room. And yes the thread move has slowed up the traffic, but I think that will increase as people start using.

You'd have to contact him, it's been a few years since he offered them.

All I can find is a reference he made in 2009 to "a run". I never could find any evidence in the Junkyard to suggest he ever constructed more than 2 of those tables, or sold any. I also checked his rebelscum website. There is a store, but no Holochess tables. Am I missing something?

Looking really good! Love the tubes. Another fun project... create a greeblie to hide the wall plugs? You could turn something into a small greeblie with flashing LEDs since you would have immediate power?

Are you going to pistripe those silver panels the hoses drop/connect? :)

Looking really good! Love the tubes. Another fun project... create a greeblie to hide the wall plugs? You could turn something into a small greeblie with flashing LEDs since you would have immediate power?

Are you going to pistripe those silver panels the hoses drop/connect? :)

Interesting idea, but I'm not going to need to hide the AC wall plugs behind my desk. I have a subwoofer amp and a couple of speakers that will be positioned in front of the plugs. Can't pinstripe the silver panels because they are textured with lines, similar to brushed aluminum. In other parts of the room, yes, going to pinstripe. I love to pinstripe. All mine are hand painted or masked with Scotch tape and painted-in with a brush.

After our Thanksgiving meal today, I did some construction. Burp! Working on my 10-ft long ceiling centerpiece.
attachment.php

First, I riveted in a couple of black panels and checked the others for greeblie fit. Much of this is not painted yet. And I have several translucent panels to fit in there.
attachment.php

Then I laid out this little display panel. It doesn't take much material, just some styrene plastic, some colored plastic tiles, and an old translucent green vegetable cutting mat. Cuts with scissors.
attachment.php

Assembled it. Then I printed out a Tie Fighter and added it to the back of the green lens, and voila! This is something. I can use it to keep track of invading forces. ;) More this weekend...

Attachments

• ceiling 28.jpg
    ceiling 28.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 2,726
  • ceiling 29.jpg
    ceiling 29.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 2,682
  • ceiling 30.jpg
    ceiling 30.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 2,690
Today I have been touching up paint on my walls and also working on panels at the kitchen table.
attachment.php

I'm devising ways for light to shine through most of the ceiling panels. Masking, painting, masking, stickering, masking. This reminds me of building model cars as a kid. I had built about 50 cars, a semi, an aircraft carrier, and a 747 jet. Got pretty good at it, won some contests. I just remembered that my favorite model was a 1970's van with working headlights. Seems like all my model-building skills are coming back to me. Feels good!

Attachments

• ceiling 31.jpg
    ceiling 31.jpg
    412.7 KB · Views: 2,669
Got a short little video tonight. Just seeing what the LED ceiling spotlights look like. The ceiling will feature a multitude of dark gray box-like shapes, with some pipes and plumbing running the length of the room.
Not too bad for some recycled materials. The ceiling lights are made from cheap Menard's Plano $5 plastic toolboxes with some Hong Kong LED spotlights cut into the bottoms. All I had to do with these was chop up the toolboxes with a Harbor Freight plunge-cut tool, drop in the lights, and screw on a power cord. Simple!

I am really enjoying putting the finishing touches on this project.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tonight I took a photo of my desk with the "good" camera.

attachment.php

Didn't use a flash. Tomorrow, my Mom gets to see this den for the first time. I have no idea if she's ever seen a Star Wars movie. Now I'm super-nervous about showing this overgrown art project to her! Will she freak out?

Attachments

• desk therpf.jpg
    desk therpf.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 5,905

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back