Medical Frigate build by Jim C

Re: Medical Frigate / Nebulon B studio scale build

The correct A-10 body is Tamiya's 1978 first release.
The superstructure of the Revell Intrepid/Franklin is tucked underneath.
O2101535.JPG

A backwards facing missile, some drop tanks and armor bits make up the rest.
O2101546.JPG

O2101551.JPG
O2101553.JPG

I was hoping the starboard-right side of of the ship would be seen in Jedi, but no, they just reversed shots of the "hero" left side. No part of the starboard side of the model is ever seen on screen in either Empire or Jedi.
Here are some of the needed kits for most parts you see there.
O2101576%20copy.JPG
O2101582%20copy.JPG

Last edited:

Two Hasegawa 1/450 Yamato hulls serve as platforms for all the structure and parts that make up the rear of the main body. To determine the hulls placement and the necessary alterations for the lower hull, I first had to ID some parts.

I had a hunch this "bump" was a boat hull.
KG_MED-FRIGATE-%20011%20copy%203.jpg

After an exhaustive months long hunt, it turnes out to be the old Lightship kit by Frog.
UPC%205012-400%20Goodwinfr%20copy.JPG
O2101584%20copy.JPG
O2101583%20copy.JPG
O2101591%20copy.JPG

The lower Yamato hull is heavily modified, to figure it all out, I needed these two grill looking things to start with.
swempire_5880%20copy%203.jpg
O2101620%20copy.JPG

Last edited:

With the Yamato hulls in place, I can now figure the placement of the side panels.
O2101615%20copy.JPG
O2101612%20copy.JPG

Wow she's looking amazing!. Great find on that Frog ship kit, who'd have thought eh!.
Terrific to see you progress with this build, I never thought I'd live to see the day someone tackle this, but boy, what a beaut!.
Styrene panels look spot on too, such clean work.
Stu

Awesome ship, exceptional work!

I'm looking forward to seeing this finished and painted. :thumbsup

@ ShowCraft: You seem to be on top of your research with this project, and I applaud your efforts :)

I must confess that I am a Lego builder, but the Lego forums has not been able to provide me with the expertise i need :) I am currently building a 1m lego version of the Nebulon B. There has been a lot of Lego attempts to make this ship, but few of them is any good. This is why I wanted to make a good one :)

I have made the model digitally, based on the official measurements and the pics at modellermagic.com

View attachment 178333

However, as you might see the engine section is somewhat large looking. I based the proportions of the engine section on the picture below which has a "helpful" measuring tape.

View attachment 178332

According to this the engine section should be around 23inches wide - which I found a source to confirm somewhere else. The height of the section is also based on this picture, but it still looks off. Does anyone here has another measure of the width/height of the engine section (and perhaps an explanation of why the picture is wrong)?

Help would be very much appreciated!

^ I said send it to me to get right lol!

This and the other model forums make great bedtime reading just wish I had the patients to build models.

I always thought the rear projection effect of the med bay was cool but a bit blurry and the interior and characters hard to see.

IMG_0829%20copy.jpg

For my model I'v tried to correct this to my satisfaction.
First I made the window opening.
O2101668%20copy.jpg

Next I had to build my own interior by cobbling together a couple of film set pics and expanding on them.
This pic gave me a starting point for the background.

IMG_0836%20copy.jpg

The characters in the background pic will be replaced with these colorized guys as their lit better and I love the fact that Mark Hammil is standing in his toes to be taller than Carrie Fisher LOL!

IMG_0837%20copy%202.jpg
IMG_0837%20copy%205.jpg

Here I'v placed in colorized Leah and tippy toe Luke and started expanding the room with Photoshop.

O2101671%20copy.jpg

and the finished print.

O2101673%20copy.jpg

Curving the pic around the back gives the view thru the window a pretty convincing 3D look.

Watch Video --- Studio Scale MEDICAL FRIGATE NEBLON B med bay window O2101675 - YouTube

O2101705%20copy.jpg
O2101707%20copy.jpg
O2101708%20copy.jpg

Last edited:

OMG!, that is incredible. Just stunning how you have achieved a 3D effect here.
That area's going to be a real talking point for folks lucky enough to see this in person.

Thats really smart, and as Stu said, a huge talking point, once the initial shock of seeing this model had passed, just beautiful work.

lee

Very nice!! I like the faux-3d window effect. Keep it up!!! I'm enjoying your build!

Absolutely stunning ... great built and out of the box
approach towards that fake 3D window view. Crazy!!

-Chaim

The left over bow piece from the Light Ship kit forms the aft part of the sail structure.

O2101717%20copy%202.JPG

O2101769%20copy.JPG

O2101748%20copy%202.JPG

The piece from the Vaders Tie kit fits here.

O2101750%20copy%202.JPG

Its been a monumental undertaking to get to this point considering what poor reference is available on the studio model, but I can safely say everything thats suposed to be there is there and in the right place. I havent yet had to take any 'creative license'.

O2101781%20copy.JPG

IDing the mess of parts on this rear shelf was not easy.

O2101739%20copy%202.JPG

O2101770%20copy.JPG

O2101762%20copy%202.JPG

O2101760%20copy%202.JPG

O2101787%20copy.JPG

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back