I need dirt - Prometheus Ampule Display

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
So, I got in one of the screen used ampules from Prometheus from the guys at Prop Store:

http://www.therpf.com/f45/prometheus-screen-used-prop-engineer-ampule-168868/

I want to make a display for it that makes it look like it is sitting in a pool on the black goo... like this:

View attachment 129306

So, there are two things I need; 1) the dirt and 2) the goo.

1) Looking at the dirt, it is almost more of a crushed black rock than actual dirt. Went to Home Depot and found nothing that looks like that. Any suggestions on what to use and where to get it? Everything out here in the desert is a light color, so it is no good.

2) I was initially thinking of wrapping the bottom of the ampule in saran wrap , pushing it slightly into the dirt, and then pouring black plastidip around it and letting it dry. Someone else suggested using pigmented epoxy instead. Any thoughts on that?

Any help would be appreciated. You can see more reference of the dirt and goo in the photos below.

Two words for the dirt / rocks - crushed charcoal. Position as desired, and cover with a sealant.

For the goo - black colour mixed with wood-glue or similar (like the HIC builds).

Might work :)

... and cheap as hell too :lol

You could also build the 'diorama' on a simple sheet of wood the size you want, with a low border/edge to keep the 'goo' in till it hardens.

Last edited:
You could try to find some dark lava stone and crush it up to whatever grade you need. For the goop i would use Smooth on black onyx. I would cut a wood blank or plug the same size as the amuples though rather then take the risk of a leak messing up your prop. Use the plug and wrap it like you say and push it into the onyx. I think they make a slower cure onyx now.

Maybe some black aquarium gravel mixed in?

Black%203mm%20Granite%20Chips.jpg

For the black goo have you considered 'ferro fluid' with perhaps a moving magnet underneath? It would look and move just like the go in the film

Black pigmented silicone for the goo. Almost any translucent silicone, pigmented with black silicone pigment or even black oil paint will do the trick.

You can paint the stone too laying it out thin and using a spray can of dark grey or black. I've done this to make the pretty colored stones for a fish tank and I am sure that is exactly what the manufactures of said stone supply to pet stores.

Here is my first quick attempt. I picked up a deep 9"X9" shadow box from Wal-Mart and also picked up the easily crushable green foam used with fake plants. I put those in the frame and crushed in a basic shape. I then added a plastic pipe to the center and put the ampule on the pipe. From there, I added activated charcoal and a couple of plastic worms.

Don't think I like the worms, and I think I need to crush some of the charcoal so I can get a more dirt like look among the larger pebbles, but overall, I am pretty happy.

Thoughts?

View attachment 129458

I think that looks teriffic! Agreed on crushing some of the charcoal and the deep shadowbox/turned display pedestal was an awesome idea :thumbsup

I think that looks teriffic! Agreed on crushing some of the charcoal and the deep shadowbox/turned display pedestal was an awesome idea :thumbsup

What I'd really like to figure out is a way to make a bit of a rock/dust slurry with an adhesive so I can repour it and make it permanent (it is just loose right now).

In looking at the size of this base, I really don't think I can effectively add in the black good without it looking forced and tight.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back