My Abraham Lincoln Mrs Bixby Replica Letter - Paper Prop

azheat01

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
A few days ago I was watching Saving Private Ryan again and I had an idea when the Bixby letter scene came up. Despite the debated origins of the letter and reported inaccuracies, as a veteran myself (not of WWII of course, I served in the 90s), that scene and the symbolism of the letter resonates with me. It's one of my favorite all time movie scenes. I wanted to try my hand at a replica letter.

This is what I came up with. I am not real good with paper props, but I really like how it turned out. I printed it on some beige cotton bond paper and printed the text and weathering in two separate passes. It's hard to see, but I distressed it a little by folding, creasing, etc. It still needs a little more work, and I want to age the edges more. The font is not perfect, but I think it can pass for the period.

I am going to frame it, put it in a shadow box or something, and hang it in my office. What do you think?

Bixby-708x929.jpg

Interesting seeing that - thanks for sharing.

I couldn't remember but after digging though my props I discovered that I've still got one as well:

Bixby.jpg

Regards

MARK

Very nice, and thanks for the ideas. I think I am going to mess with this some more, maybe try a few different paper types and tone down the aging effect on the paper. Thanks for the input!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back