Millennium Falcon parts for 3d Printing

maruska

Sr Member
Hey all,

I'm a long-time lurker with a long-time Falcon project sitting on the bench. Much of my approach for my Falcon thus has involved machining and 3D printing of parts that I either can't find or can't afford to kit bash from; I do a ton of CAD work in my job, so it's a natural extension of what I do.

I know there has been a ton of work amongst this forum's members identify and reconcile different versions of the Falcon - 5-foot, full-scale sets, 32" model, etc - and I think it would be cool to create a repository of CAD models that can be used to print parts as needed to recreate whatever Falcon you happen to be working on.

Below are some examples of some of the parts I've started working on. I'll probably be posting theses bits to GrabCAD for others to download and print at some point.

My goal is largely self serving, but I do plan to make my work freely available as open-source and if there are any CAD monkey's out there looking to collaborate, I'm happy to share the load.

I have more background process info and high-res images on my site.

MF_Cockpit-FullScale_12.97-500x212.jpg

MF_NavCom-02.88-500x281.jpg

MF_PilotBuckets-03.98-500x281.jpg

Cheers,
J.

Last edited:
Re: Millenium Falcon parts for 3d Printing

The Captain's chairs are now on GrabCAD here.

It'll be a while before I get the Nav Comm chair up since they are still sketches...

Cheers,
J.

Cool.

I'm hoping there are other people that will want to get involved.

I'm also happy to CAD specific parts if people are looking for something hard to find. My goal is to have a complete model (a real one - not just rendered) at some point. But my goals are to do a model at a 32" scale, with some 5-foot detailing and a replica cockpit inside.

Falcon32-MasterModel.93-500x285.jpg

I have the base chair for the Nav chairs. Let me know if I can help.

Stormy,

I just checked-out your thread! Very cool that you have the Sea Venom variant. I've had a heck of a time finding photos of that particular seat.

I might hit you up for some more detailed images with rulers in frame.

: )

I’ve made available a base model of the main console. It will be a while before a fully detailed version is up, but thought I’d share what I have on GrabCAD.

MF_Cockpit-FullScale_12.100-500x281.jpg

I am currently rebuilding parts of the Nav Comm chair based on some new information.

No worries. I hope to gain some interest amongst people who are smarter than me. So I invite feedback. It's a living thing, so it will change and grow.

J.

VERY VERY cool idea. if we can actually get a hold of a real laser scanner we could scan real parts and add them to the repository... but I understand those scanners are still out of "normal" peoples price range (mine for sure) at 20k or more... But that will change over time.

Jedi Dade

Awesome looking work. Keep it up.

VERY VERY cool idea. if we can actually get a hold of a real laser scanner we could scan real parts and add them to the repository... but I understand those scanners are still out of "normal" peoples price range (mine for sure) at 20k or more... But that will change over time.

Jedi Dade
Go with this system. It's what I used to make my Vader scans. If I'd gotten a stepper motor made I could have made scans in twice the resolution I worked with on the Vader project.

DAVID 3D Scanner

Or if you have an iPhone 123D Catch works pretty well. Can get a rough proportion of things and image maps.

Please! Please!

Last edited:

MF_Cockpit-FullScale_12.110-1024x1024.jpg

A little more refinement of the Nav-Comm seats. Still have quite a bit to work out on the back frame. The upper bits are pretty close, but the mid sections are populated with place holder levers and rods.

MF_Cockpit-FullScale_12.114-1024x576.jpg

I still have some more work to do on the parts that aren't part of the Martin Baker frame (ahem, Tupperware lid), but I think I'm about as close to the MB Mk4 frame as I'm gonna get without one sitting in front of me.

The catapult tube and top cap have been updated. All the fiddly lever and linkage bits on the sides have been updated. The drogue gun has been resized to be more accurate. Most of the underlaying structure has been adjusted. I've recanted on my thoughts about the rubber banding on the seat pads - what I show seems to fit better against photo reference - a 1-inch band coupled with a 1/2" tube binding the seat frame.

Here is a 4k high res image of the chair so far...

... and I've had a few people ask for orthographic projections of my seat in progress.

MF_NavComm_Ortho-12.12.024_jm-1024x576.jpg

My daughter refers to the edge pattern on the the seat pads as the "Butterfly"; it's an artifact of the modeling technique I use to create soft pillowed forms, not unlike the natural surfacing techniques I've done on watches for Nike.

MF_Cockpit-FullScale_12.120-1024x1024.jpg

Just a quick update before the weekend is over. Here are the control levers I’ll be using for the console. There will be extensions that run down into the dashboard, but these are the top bits anyway – the part that was also used on C-3PO’s knees.

This one has also been uploaded to GrabCAD.

Cheers,
J.

Your models look great. I would love it if you could model the sidewalls of the falcon, specifically because I'm going to be doing a hasbro legacy conversion, and if I had a good 3d model of the sidewalls to work from in stl format I could print out some great upgrade parts to help with my model.

Eventually, I will be doing some of the exterior bits - at lest the ones I don't have in kit form, or that are out of my price-range to harvest. Also, since I'm doing a bit of a scale conversion from the 5 foot ANH falcon down to a more manageable 32" ESB scale and then including some of the full scale set elements, I'll need to model some of those parts anyway. I probably won't be doing full sidewalls as 3D, but if there are people out there that are willing to contribute, I'm happy to host parts from my site.

Currently, all my part files are uploaded to GrabCAD as STEP files (surface/solid hybrid AP214 format) so they are resolution independent. I'll eventually do STL conversions for my own project (and will probably post those too) but am keeping things as surface files so others have flexibility to modify and tweak for their own purposes.

J.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back