Millennium Falcon parts for 3d Printing

Re: Millenium Falcon parts for 3d Printing

Very cool stuff. I would love to get some Rap-pro stuff for my SMT falcon, mainly a new cockpit interior, gunwells and a few other bits.

Does anyone know the width of the three bands at the seat/back junction?

My current model has them at 1" wide each, but they seem too fat.

I'm trying to wrap this up so I can post the model and there are a few nagging details.

J.

Hey Qrest,

I'm working on getting the nav comm seat finished-up to post soon.

The RepRap-Pro is an FDM type machine and I'll be doing some tests on an FDM over the holidays. I don't think FDM is the best choice for fine scale - I'll be doing the FDM tests at 1/6th, but eventually be building my ESB scale parts on an Eden/Objet printer and hope that the detail in the models holds.

J.

MF_Cockpit-NavComm_12.125-1024x1024.jpg

Another update!

Sorry for the long hiatus - been traveling a lot and now I'm headed out to Korea tomorrow; and since it'll be a while before I get back to falconing, I thought I'd push this out before I go.

I uploaded the model to grabCad - but it's only mostly complete. All the appearance/exterior surfaces are there, but I'm still deciding how I actually want to "manufacture" it and how the parts will be broken-up - so that's still left to do; but I figured that since it "looks" done, I'd offer it up and let people render or modify or whatever to it.

I should note that I probably won't be doing the variant seen in the Main Hold, but this is a good foundation for such a seat.

Been working on roughing-out the cock-pit and access corridor. Feeling the full force of the "Ship of Riddles" effect now. I've been blissfully modeling away and everything has been working fine - until I got to trying to fit all of the access corridor into my exterior geometry. :facepalm

Here's a shot of my current compromised solution. Notice the difference in floor heights in the hall way and the cockpit...

MF_Cockpit-FullScale_12.126-1024x576.jpg

A little New Year's Eve noodling. The wife on the couch sewing, I next to her tweaking on the pilot seats. A little more "lived-in feeling" and, the upper quilting is more paunchy; like the photo reference I've seen.

MF_Cockpit-CaptainsChairs_12.131-1024x768.jpg

also; found this image while tooling around looking for reference. Were custom vans big in England in '77?

89096653_2bb3ffd1a5_z.jpg

TEST PRINTS!

MF_Cockpit-NavComm_12.126-682x1024.jpg

Low res, 1/6th scale model of the nav seat for CAD verification.

Missing the TRM and Drogue Chute greebles, and the plexi panel on the rear frame, but gives me an idea of what will work, detail-wise, on the high res miniatures.

:)

I think this is an awesome idea! I would love to get involved on this... hell we may be able to create an entire kit just from printing. I've thought about something like this for awhile now. Have you talked to SteveStarkiller yet? He has done alot of work on a completely accurate falcon in 3D. Including the cockpit etc... he may be able to donate alot to this project as well. With this we all will be able to create our own 32" or 5 footer! I LOVE IT!

I think this is an awesome idea! I would love to get involved on this... hell we may be able to create an entire kit just from printing. I've thought about something like this for awhile now. Have you talked to SteveStarkiller yet? He has done alot of work on a completely accurate falcon in 3D. Including the cockpit etc... he may be able to donate alot to this project as well. With this we all will be able to create our own 32" or 5 footer! I LOVE IT!

Yup! That's the plan - to have a fully printable kit at some point. I'd love to get other people involved in the modeling of parts. I'm happy to host parts on my site for people that have already made stuff.

SteveStarkiller and I have had quite a bit of dialog and comparing notes via PM.

Let me know if you want to contribute.

Cheers,
J.

:confused I keep seeing things like this and think.... WOW!!! I am looking forward to seeing your progress, as I am planning to build the uber-awesome 5' SS Millennium Falcon (some day in the very near future). I am planning to take a course or two in CAD or 3-D modeling in the immediate future, too. With 3-D printing, a whole new world of modeling has opened up, and I can't wait to be a part of it! :) I have mad respect for your skills! Thank-you for sharing.:popcorn

Hey it looks like we are of similar opinion on this I created a thread over in the ss forum without knowing about this one titled 3d scanned parts resource basically same thought line as you but i was thinking about scanning the parts in and cleaning them up. Also i wanted to thank you on your falcon drawing joewhite made a modified version for a cutting template and I'm planning to use it as the base model for my 32" falcon.

Millenium Falcon parts for 3d Printing

Hey it looks like we are of similar opinion on this I created a thread over in the ss forum without knowing about this one titled 3d scanned parts resource basically same thought line as you but i was thinking about scanning the parts in and cleaning them up. Also i wanted to thank you on your falcon drawing joewhite made a modified version for a cutting template and I'm planning to use it as the base model for my 32" falcon.

Oooo! Very cool! Do have any scan files yet? I'm happy to get in on clean-up duty!

Glad you used my drawings! I have the base plates cut for a 32-incher as well!

: )

Not quite related to my main project, but fun nonetheless. This is actually what started this whole crazy endeavor - I made this to go with the LEGO Star Destroyer. It's to scale for that model. It was easier than making a LEGO Star Destroyer to go with the LEGO UCS Millennium Falcon kit. STL Files available on GrabCAD!

large.jpg

large.jpg

Where have I been?

Sorry, my work and travel schedule have been nutty the past couple weeks. I know I have a pile of PM's that I need to respond to. I'll catch up when I get back from Korea (again!)

J.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back