Millennium Falcon parts for 3d Printing

Re: Millenium Falcon parts for 3d Printing

Should be posting 3D files over the week-end. Whew...

Lot's more (and bigger) images on my site.

MF_Cockpit-FullScale_12.57-1024x576.jpg

MF_Cockpit-FullScale_12.47-1024x576.jpg

Full Scale 747

We just recently revamped our corporate website at the design consultancy I work for; and as I'd hoped, there are a few images of the really amazing designs our airline team creates and, more specifically, the models that we build of them.

Here is an image of the inside of a future Boeing 747:
boeing_747-8_01.jpg

And here is what that model really looks like from the outside:
boeing_747-8_02.jpg

More at from Teague here.

I would love to get some of these guys working on the Full Scale Falcon project.

J.

Last edited:

The console and seats look really good! Thanks for making the files available, I'll definitely use them when I start my build.

Thanks for the great files. I'm always in awe of people who can create 3d objects like this; wish my brain were wired to do this kinda stuff!

C

Very cool work.
I always wanted a very large scale model.
Never thought of 3D printing it out.

Wow. Seeing this for the first time. I've been in awe of what Scratchy and Jaitea have done with their 1/72 scale MFs and have been waiting to tackle mine. I would love to see your work printed for 1/72, but I'm sure that most of the details would be lost. Too bad that I just don't have room for these big models. Beautiful work, I'm going to be following this thread now with anticipation for each new posting.
:popcorn

Millenium Falcon parts for 3d Printing

Very cool work.
I always wanted a very large scale model.
Never thought of 3D printing it out.

I think we'll see a lot more of this in the future. I just found these guys over the weekend that laser scan trains and produce 3d prints at any scale for your model rail road.

http://blog.flexiscale.co/post/44440592724/how-did-we-get-here

This is essentially what I'd like to do for this project.

:)

Millenium Falcon parts for 3d Printing

Wow. Seeing this for the first time. I've been in awe of what Scratchy and Jaitea have done with their 1/72 scale MFs and have been waiting to tackle mine. I would love to see your work printed for 1/72, but I'm sure that most of the details would be lost. Too bad that I just don't have room for these big models. Beautiful work, I'm going to be following this thread now with anticipation for each new posting.
:popcorn

Heh - yeah, I'm doing what essentially nets out to be a 1/35 scale MF (at least as far as the cockpit is concerned) and have to keep reminding myself that the console will be less than 2" wide and the square chiclet buttons are less than a 1/32".

There will be some details that will just get absorbed into the print and others that I will have make with another process (like the control levers), but I think most of it will hold.

I figure better to have the detail in there and have it not print, than have an under detailed model that's only useful to me...

Another outstanding project!

I would LOVE to see these cockpits 3Dprinted at 1/18 scale so a "miniature" version of the full size cockpit set could be displayed with the Hasbro figures. I've always wanted a desktop display of just the cockpit with frame so you can pick it up and "look out of the window" and pretend you're sitting in the back. :lol

I think it would be an awesome display item if lights could be included etc.

Excellent work.

Chris

Last edited:

Another outstanding project!

I would LOVE to see these cockpits 3Dprinted at 1/18 scale so a "miniature" version of the full size cockpit set could be displayed with the Hasbro figures. I've always wanted a desktop display of just the cockpit with frame so you can pit it up and "look out of the window" and pretend you're sitting in the back. :lol

I think it would be an awesome display item if lights could be included etc.

Excellent work.

Chris

Absolutely! The great thing about digital models is they can be made at any scale - even full scale if you have the right equipment (see my above post about the full sized models we make of Boeing airplanes).

It been my general approach to build the models not assuming any particular manufacturing method and provide the most flexibility fro the end-creator; be it printing, machining, etc...

J.

Well here is an example of the fruits of your labor. I downloaded the chairs, scaled them to my project scale, and they printed with no problems.:thumbsup

I downloaded the Console as well, however I tried scaling the main base, but the buttons didn't scale with it. Might want to double check to see if it's all joined.

Hey! That's awesome! What printer/process did you use? Looks like SLS maybe?

The console has a few disjoint parts still - mainly because I'm figuring out if I want to laser cut the the main surfaces and bond them to a printed base. This would allow me to etch all the pinstripes and trim rings into the laser'ed parts (aluminum painted black, then laser).

You should be able to boolean the parts together though using MeshLab or something.

Just added a post to my site (here) that shows my initial layouts for the sidewall on Chewie's side before going into CAD to build the actual parts.

SideWall_Chewie_All-Clean_jm-01-446x1024.jpg

A minor update. Been busy at work and totally racked with a flu thing that just won't go away.

There are still some missing areas - particularly on Han's side (near where his elbow is and right above his head).

Anyway, here's an update to Chewie's panels:

SideWalls_AllPanels-130417_jm_Chewie-446x1024.jpg

And Han's panels:

SideWalls_AllPanels-130417_jm_Han-446x1024.jpg

These were done in Illustrator CS6 if anyone is interested - or high res jpegs are on my blog. They are full scale and eventually will serve as a template for my CAD model.

Cheers.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back