Millennium Falcon parts for 3d Printing

Oh man, very cool! That's a nice toy you have there. :)

I'll be posting pictures of the 1/35 NAV chair later today.

Definitely interested in seeing the nav chairs. I've thought before that it would be
cool to do an accurate one in 1/12 scale for the 3 3/4" figures.

first_SLA_seats-1024x1024.jpg

I’m having fun getting the FormLabs Form 1 printer dialed in. Funny how every printer and printing technology has it’s idiosyncrasies. But here are the first prints!

The Nav Seat is about 1 ¾” tall at 1/35 scale so these are pretty tiny. The detail held up and the stair stepping isn’t too bad. I’m curious what they will look like with a coat of paint on them.

Attachments

• first_SLA_seats-1024x1024.jpg
    first_SLA_seats-1024x1024.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
Those are pretty awesome, how do these compare to shape way printing? I know the form 1 is a stereo lithograph printer but assume same from shaepways? What about detail level?

Inspiring me to make my attempt at it!

I uploaded the file to shapeways and to print a 1/48 size chair, the cost is around $7, you could probably reduce this cost by slicing the model along the seat back and bottom (the fill is around 25%). I think I may try printing in different plastcis to see the detail vs cost. These can be printed for as little as $2.50

Last edited:
That sounds about right. I'm curious what your results are like!

I know build orientation has a huge impact on quality. And it all depends on process - so for $7 a pop it might be worth experimenting.

I have looked at a replacement quad cannon, measuring 3x8x3, and they cost from $26 to $65. So I am wondering if it may be cheaper to 3d print stuff and resin cast,especially if more than one person wants them

Nice on the quad cannon. Is that a file on Shapeways you found or somewhere else?

The trick part with SLA to casting is the file prep. Most of my files have voids and undercuts in them - i.e. they are already assembled. I'd need to dissect them a bit to get them casting ready. It's one of the cool things about printing is that you can make parts in ways that traditional molding don't allow.

This isn't an issue so much on the Captain's chair, but the NAV seat would need to be broken down into smaller bits to be cast.

J.

The model is from another source, it isn't the best model, but I want to use it to weigh up costs of bigger things.I will probably make my own, or if I can get better ones use those.

I have done resin casting before, on a very small scale, and have stuff in my kit making box. You are right the nab chairs would be a pain, and probably not worth it. I would generally cast stuff that was easy and made sense.

I use Alias and SolidWorks mostly. Sometimes Maya.

Rhino is a good alternative. Also, I believe there are engineering extensions for Modo and Cinema4D.

Panel_Han_02c.png

Still chugging along. Just pinstripes on the top-most Han side panel to go.

And that bit by Han's left elbow if I can get good reference...

Any takers?

:)

- - - Updated - - -

This is fantastic, I love following this thread.

Glad you're enjoying it, Bondo Fett!

Great name. I'm jealous I didn't think of it.

Panel_Han_02d.png

Got a bit more work in on this tonight. Just about done. I have some file prep work to do before I publish it on GrabCAD, but all the big stuff is there. I'll do some nicer renderings in the next day or two as well.

Woot!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back