Millennium Falcon parts for 3d Printing

Yeah, once I get a set of stable parts that build predictably (i.e. once I have my own printer to quickly iterate on) I'll be better able to access how small parts can go.

My gut tells me there will need to be modifications made to the files depending on the scale of the final build. For instance the square chiclet buttons that are all over the console and sidewalls are 1" square. So at 1/48th scale they will end up being just over half a millimeter big; just over the minimum theoretical limit of 300 microns for surface detail of the Form 1 printer I plan on using. That being said, smaller details 'may' still hold and a lot of it depends on build direction and such.

J.

This image was still cooking when I posted last night...

MF_Cockpit-FullScale_130523_jm.324-1024x576.png

Looks amazing so far! I've been scratching my head trying to figure out how to recreate those gauges on Chewie's panel... Do I use a simple print out or backlight them?

Are you planning to print the entire MF or just the cockpit? :)

Finally an update after a long hiatus. I've had an awesome project at work keeping me busy and just got back from a family vacation in Yellowstone. Beautiful hiking out there.

But in other news, I should be receiving my Form1 sla printer in teh next few weeks - so I hope to be showing real parts instead of just renderings. But in the meantime, here's a shot of the lower two sidewall panels on Han's side. Still plugging away!

MF_CockpitCone-130729_jm.11-1024x576.jpg

Cheers,
J.

Looks amazing so far! I've been scratching my head trying to figure out how to recreate those gauges on Chewie's panel... Do I use a simple print out or backlight them?

Are you planning to print the entire MF or just the cockpit? :)

The physical model will be combination of machined parts (the main hull bits), kit parts (the more common ones), printed kit parts (the rarer ones) and probably some laser cut bits where applicable.

My personal take on Chewie's gauges were that they were back-lit white plexi (light the other light bars in the cockpit) with a variety of Lithographers tape applied. It's where I'd start - but not totally sure.

J.

My personal take on Chewie's gauges were that they were back-lit white plexi (light the other light bars in the cockpit) with a variety of Lithographers tape applied. It's where I'd start - but not totally sure.

J.

perhaps worth noting that in later shots on ANH you can see that the readouts, whatever they're made of, seem to have melted. Worthwhile to find a non-perfect replacement...

also, I can't wait to see what you've been working on! It's been too long without an update from you. Have you seen the new ESB console/interior I've been building?

Heck yeah! You are simply amazing.

I'm still waiting for my printer to arrive. Should be any week now. I'm anxious to start making parts. Then I can CAD one thing while another is printing....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389972967.408240.jpg

The science fiction of today is making the the science fiction of yesterday... In my house! Pew pew!

Let my adventures in 3d printing begin! Woot!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389987262.687802.jpg

Boom. 4 ½ hours on the bed and I have a tiny (1/35th scale) seat!

Still needs to cure and a bit of clean-up. But for a first test of the new toy, I'm pretty stoked!

As for orders, it'll take me a while to optimize things and figure out if if it's viable to make and sell, but I'm considering...

: )

Maruska,

In support of Jaitea's inquire reagrding the a 'cockpit in 1/72 for the MPC Falcon', I would like to express my interest as well.

Best Regards and Happy New Year,

Ben G.

Are you taking any orders & if you are I'd gladly pay for your cockpit in 1/72 for my MPC Falcon

John

I'll have to run some tests on 1/72 scale stuff. That'll be about half the size of the seat I just printed.

Exciting though!

These are great. I am currently starting my conversion of a legacy hasbro. Part of this will be to replace all the internals with 1/48(?) scale parts. Including corridors, rooms, holochess, the nab deck, bed, guns, etc. I will also be lighting the lot! This is a great start I think as I will be able to print some parts from shape ways. So thanks maruska. I will be adding to this by creating any other pieces on the way. I am intending to use sketch up to create these parts.

Could you publish the cockpit? I want to replace this whole section , so replacing the actual cone, the consoles and chairs would be a great starting point. Anyone any advice on how to print these out at Shapeways?

As I start this and produce my models I will be happy to share whatever I produce

- - - Updated - - -

I was hoping to start from the sketch up models that were used for the full sized falcon model, but haven't got any response from those guys.

Yeah, I'm still not done with the whole cockpit yet. I have two panels on Han's side to do and then the back wall and the ceiling.

As for prepping the files for Shapeways, that's a bit trickier. There are probably features in my models that fall below the smallest feature size requirements for them. And they get smaller the smaller you scale the model. My plan hasn't been to remodel everything at each scale to meet those requirements - my approach has been to put as much detail into the CAD as possible and if it doesn't hold up, then it didn't hold.

Let me know if you have any luck with the full scale guys. My intent has always been to open source my models so every one can enjoy them or modify them to suit their needs. So can have access to my files as they are made, but it takes awhile.

Last edited:
Just a note on how I've been calculating scale...

Since the original models and sets had so many discrepancies, I use the tube diameter as the baseline for cockpit scale.

The full-size set plans were 104" outer diameter. I'm using a 3" tube for my model. So I divide two to fit the one in the other.

This scale is obviously different than the total model, but it's the best way I could reconcile the two.

If I start making cockpit kits for sale, I'd use a similar method - based on tube size, rather than total model scale.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back