Millennium Falcon parts for 3d Printing

Re: Millenium Falcon parts for 3d Printing

Sick!!! I gotta check the general modeling section more. Well impressed:thumbsup

Been traveling a lot lately, but have kept chugging along. Been focusing on the main dashboard console for the cockpit. This includes building a library of common parts such as; the chicklet buttons, toggle switches, rocker switches, keycaps and so on. Hopefully this will make populating the sidewalls of the cockpit interior go a bit faster. Now for some eye candy…

MF_Cockpit-Console_13.233-1024x576.jpg

MF_Cockpit-Console_13.231-1024x576.jpg

MF_Cockpit-Console_13.232-1024x576.jpg

MF_Cockpit-Console_13.234-1024x576.jpg

Cheers,
J.

Greebling away!

Just a few more bits to add (mainly below the levers) and then it'll be up on grabCAD...

MF_Cockpit-Console_13.237-1024x576.jpg

Greeble can be used as a verb, right? As in to greeble?

J.

Same model, but with some materials applied. Looks a bit naked without the pinstripes.

MF_Cockpit-Console_13.240-1024x576.jpg

Millenium Falcon parts for 3d Printing

Ha! You really want to see my to do list?

Now that I have a nice passel of parts, I can start populating the rear wall and side panels of the cockpit interior.

I still have some clean-up on the Nav Seat; and I want to rework the corridor to better resolve that riddle.

Beyond that, I've had some offers from other forum members to donate 3D scans of exterior kit parts that I can digitize and clean-up for printing.

Parts look great! would be very helpful to use for my 1/48 Falcon that I plan to build.

Out of curiosity, what unit of measure are your 3D files drawn at (MM, Inches, Meters)?

Last edited:

looking really great. I would recommend making the buttons thicker, and making the dome lights a little smaller.

but over all, that looks amazing.

Last edited:

Parts look great! would be very helpful to use for my 1/48 Falcon that I plan to build.

Out of curiosity, why unit of measure are your 3D files drawn at (MM, Inches, Meters)?

The model is a combination of metric and imperial (inches) since SolidWorks allows for that - so I model in whatever is best for the reference.

More importantly - all the cockpit parts are modeled at full scale - so they would be scaled down 48x for your purposes.

Cheers,
J.

looking really great. I would recommend making the buttons thicker, and making the dome lights a little smaller.

but over all, that looks amazing.

Thanks!

The dome lights are on a 2 1/2" spacing center-to-center. I can make them smaller, but that increases the space between them.

You think the whole light needs to come down, or just the lens (making the ring beefier?)

J.

The model is a combination of metric and imperial (inches) since SolidWorks allows for that - so I model in whatever is best for the reference.

More importantly - all the cockpit parts are modeled at full scale - so they would be scaled down 48x for your purposes.

Cheers,
J.

It is slightly more complicated than that. I only ask because Shapeways asks for a unit of measure. If the object was drawn at 1:1, selecting either mm, inches, or meters when uploaded to Shapeways would change the printing size considerably for the same file.

For example, if the navigation chair was drawn in decimal inches, it should measure 39.72, if it was drawn in decimal feet it would measure 3.31. While both are considered 1:1 or full scale, the decimal feet drawing is 12x smaller than the other.
A unit of measure is important because, if it was drawn in decimal feet, the drawing would have to be scaled up by 12 to convert it to decimal inches before I scaled it down to 1/48. Likewise, if it was drawn in CM, the drawing would have to be scaled up by 10 to convert it to mm before I scaled it down. I hope this makes sense.

Last edited:

It is slightly more complicated than that. I only ask because Shapeways asks for a unit of measure. If the object was drawn at 1:1, selecting either mm, inches, or meters when uploaded to Shapeways would change the printing size considerably for the same file.

For example, if the navigation chair was drawn in decimal inches, it should measure 39.72, if it was drawn in decimal feet it would measure 3.31. While both are considered 1:1 or full scale, the decimal feet drawing is 12x smaller than the other.
A unit of measure would be important because, if it was drawn in decimal feet, the drawing would have to be scaled up by 12 to convert it to decimal inches before I scaled it down to 1/48. Likewise, if it was drawn in CM, the drawing would have to be scaled up by 10 to convert it to mm before I scaled it down. I hope this makes sense.

Ah - I get what you're asking. I think all my files have been set at decimal inches at time of export.

That being said - my approach has been to prescale the file and then do the STL conversion. I usually find it easier to work in a CAD app to wrap my head around the scale issues than at the printer driver level.

Another thing regarding scale - even thought these models are being built 1:1, it might not be a simple 1/48th scale conversion to get things to fit. The Falcon has multiple scale issues - so there is a difference between what "fits" physically and what is correct dimensionally.

J.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back