Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Salem, Oregon
    Feb 19, 2013, 11:32 AM - Re: Millenium Falcon parts for 3d Printing #51

Parts look great! would be very helpful to use for my 1/48 Falcon that I plan to build.

Out of curiosity, what unit of measure are your 3D files drawn at (MM, Inches, Meters)?
    Last edited by seven; Feb 19, 2013 at 12:29 PM.
    From
    Philadelphia, PA
    Feb 19, 2013, 11:50 AM - Re: Millenium Falcon parts for 3d Printing #52

looking really great. I would recommend making the buttons thicker, and making the dome lights a little smaller.

but over all, that looks amazing.
    Last edited by SteveStarkiller; Feb 19, 2013 at 11:56 AM.
  3. Member Since
    Jun 2009
    From
    Seattle, WA
    Feb 19, 2013, 12:07 PM - Re: Millenium Falcon parts for 3d Printing #53

seven said: View Post
    Parts look great! would be very helpful to use for my 1/48 Falcon that I plan to build.

Out of curiosity, why unit of measure are your 3D files drawn at (MM, Inches, Meters)?
    The model is a combination of metric and imperial (inches) since SolidWorks allows for that - so I model in whatever is best for the reference.

More importantly - all the cockpit parts are modeled at full scale - so they would be scaled down 48x for your purposes.

Cheers,
    J.
  4. Member Since
    Jun 2009
    From
    Seattle, WA
    Feb 19, 2013, 12:10 PM - Re: Millenium Falcon parts for 3d Printing #54

SteveStarkiller said: View Post
    looking really great. I would recommend making the buttons thicker, and making the dome lights a little smaller.

but over all, that looks amazing.
    Thanks!

The dome lights are on a 2 1/2" spacing center-to-center. I can make them smaller, but that increases the space between them.

You think the whole light needs to come down, or just the lens (making the ring beefier?)

J.
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    Feb 19, 2013, 1:30 PM - Re: Millenium Falcon parts for 3d Printing #55

Coming along!
    From
    Salem, Oregon
    Feb 19, 2013, 1:32 PM - Re: Millenium Falcon parts for 3d Printing #56

maruska said: View Post
    The model is a combination of metric and imperial (inches) since SolidWorks allows for that - so I model in whatever is best for the reference.

More importantly - all the cockpit parts are modeled at full scale - so they would be scaled down 48x for your purposes.

Cheers,
    J.
    It is slightly more complicated than that. I only ask because Shapeways asks for a unit of measure. If the object was drawn at 1:1, selecting either mm, inches, or meters when uploaded to Shapeways would change the printing size considerably for the same file.

For example, if the navigation chair was drawn in decimal inches, it should measure 39.72, if it was drawn in decimal feet it would measure 3.31. While both are considered 1:1 or full scale, the decimal feet drawing is 12x smaller than the other.
    A unit of measure is important because, if it was drawn in decimal feet, the drawing would have to be scaled up by 12 to convert it to decimal inches before I scaled it down to 1/48. Likewise, if it was drawn in CM, the drawing would have to be scaled up by 10 to convert it to mm before I scaled it down. I hope this makes sense.
    Last edited by seven; Feb 19, 2013 at 1:37 PM.
  7. Member Since
    Jun 2009
    From
    Seattle, WA
    Feb 19, 2013, 1:40 PM - Re: Millenium Falcon parts for 3d Printing #57

seven said: View Post
    It is slightly more complicated than that. I only ask because Shapeways asks for a unit of measure. If the object was drawn at 1:1, selecting either mm, inches, or meters when uploaded to Shapeways would change the printing size considerably for the same file.

For example, if the navigation chair was drawn in decimal inches, it should measure 39.72, if it was drawn in decimal feet it would measure 3.31. While both are considered 1:1 or full scale, the decimal feet drawing is 12x smaller than the other.
    A unit of measure would be important because, if it was drawn in decimal feet, the drawing would have to be scaled up by 12 to convert it to decimal inches before I scaled it down to 1/48. Likewise, if it was drawn in CM, the drawing would have to be scaled up by 10 to convert it to mm before I scaled it down. I hope this makes sense.
    Ah - I get what you're asking. I think all my files have been set at decimal inches at time of export.

That being said - my approach has been to prescale the file and then do the STL conversion. I usually find it easier to work in a CAD app to wrap my head around the scale issues than at the printer driver level.

Another thing regarding scale - even thought these models are being built 1:1, it might not be a simple 1/48th scale conversion to get things to fit. The Falcon has multiple scale issues - so there is a difference between what "fits" physically and what is correct dimensionally.

J.
  8. Member Since
    Jun 2009
    From
    Seattle, WA
    Feb 24, 2013, 12:22 PM - Re: Millenium Falcon parts for 3d Printing #58

Still some LED's to add and the pinstripes.
    From
    Northern Ireland
    Feb 24, 2013, 12:49 PM - Re: Millenium Falcon parts for 3d Printing #59

Nice depth of field....lovely render

John
  10. Member Since
    Jun 2009
    From
    Seattle, WA
    Feb 24, 2013, 12:57 PM - Re: Millenium Falcon parts for 3d Printing #60

Jaitea said: View Post
    Nice depth of field....lovely render

John
    Thanks!

Just got our new licenses of Keyshot 4 at work this week. Giving it a test drive.

J.
  11. Member Since
    Jun 2010
    From
    Toronto
    Feb 24, 2013, 5:20 PM - Re: Millenium Falcon parts for 3d Printing #61

Woohoooo! You are the greatest, Maruska!
  12. Member Since
    Jun 2009
    From
    Seattle, WA
    Mar 1, 2013, 3:03 PM - Re: Millenium Falcon parts for 3d Printing #62

Should be posting 3D files over the week-end. Whew...

Lot's more (and bigger) images on my site.

13. Member Since
    Jun 2009
    From
    Seattle, WA
    Mar 1, 2013, 7:46 PM - Re: Millenium Falcon parts for 3d Printing #63

Full Scale 747

We just recently revamped our corporate website at the design consultancy I work for; and as I'd hoped, there are a few images of the really amazing designs our airline team creates and, more specifically, the models that we build of them.

Here is an image of the inside of a future Boeing 747:

And here is what that model really looks like from the outside:

More at from Teague here.

I would love to get some of these guys working on the Full Scale Falcon project.

J.
    Last edited by maruska; Mar 2, 2013 at 10:05 AM.
  14. Member Since
    Jun 2009
    From
    Seattle, WA
    Mar 1, 2013, 11:03 PM - Re: Millenium Falcon parts for 3d Printing #64

The fully detailed cockpit console is up on GrabCAD. Enjoy!

Link on my site. Console: Full Detail CAD

15. Member Since
    Jun 2009
    From
    Seattle, WA
    Mar 3, 2013, 9:31 PM - Millenium Falcon parts for 3d Printing #65

Updated pilot seats to go with the new dash...
    Last edited by maruska; Mar 4, 2013 at 12:36 AM.
  16. Member Since
    Nov 2006
    Mar 5, 2013, 12:14 AM - Re: Millenium Falcon parts for 3d Printing #66

The console and seats look really good! Thanks for making the files available, I'll definitely use them when I start my build.
  17. Member Since
    Nov 2006
    Mar 5, 2013, 9:07 AM - Re: Millenium Falcon parts for 3d Printing #67

Thanks for the great files. I'm always in awe of people who can create 3d objects like this; wish my brain were wired to do this kinda stuff!

C
  18. Member Since
    Sep 2011
    Mar 5, 2013, 9:21 AM - Re: Millenium Falcon parts for 3d Printing #68

Very cool work.
    I always wanted a very large scale model.
    Never thought of 3D printing it out.
    Mar 5, 2013, 9:32 AM - Re: Millenium Falcon parts for 3d Printing #69

Wow. Seeing this for the first time. I've been in awe of what Scratchy and Jaitea have done with their 1/72 scale MFs and have been waiting to tackle mine. I would love to see your work printed for 1/72, but I'm sure that most of the details would be lost. Too bad that I just don't have room for these big models. Beautiful work, I'm going to be following this thread now with anticipation for each new posting.
  20. Member Since
    Jun 2009
    From
    Seattle, WA
    Mar 5, 2013, 9:50 AM - Millenium Falcon parts for 3d Printing #70

mcsdaver said: View Post
    Very cool work.
    I always wanted a very large scale model.
    Never thought of 3D printing it out.
    I think we'll see a lot more of this in the future. I just found these guys over the weekend that laser scan trains and produce 3d prints at any scale for your model rail road.

http://blog.flexiscale.co/post/44440...id-we-get-here

This is essentially what I'd like to do for this project.

21. Member Since
    Jun 2009
    From
    Seattle, WA
    Mar 5, 2013, 9:56 AM - Millenium Falcon parts for 3d Printing #71

Del 2 said: View Post
    Wow. Seeing this for the first time. I've been in awe of what Scratchy and Jaitea have done with their 1/72 scale MFs and have been waiting to tackle mine. I would love to see your work printed for 1/72, but I'm sure that most of the details would be lost. Too bad that I just don't have room for these big models. Beautiful work, I'm going to be following this thread now with anticipation for each new posting.
    Heh - yeah, I'm doing what essentially nets out to be a 1/35 scale MF (at least as far as the cockpit is concerned) and have to keep reminding myself that the console will be less than 2" wide and the square chiclet buttons are less than a 1/32".

There will be some details that will just get absorbed into the print and others that I will have make with another process (like the control levers), but I think most of it will hold.

I figure better to have the detail in there and have it not print, than have an under detailed model that's only useful to me...
  22. Member Since
    Dec 1999
    From
    England, U.K.
    Mar 5, 2013, 11:50 AM - Re: Millenium Falcon parts for 3d Printing #72

Another outstanding project!

I would LOVE to see these cockpits 3Dprinted at 1/18 scale so a "miniature" version of the full size cockpit set could be displayed with the Hasbro figures. I've always wanted a desktop display of just the cockpit with frame so you can pick it up and "look out of the window" and pretend you're sitting in the back.

I think it would be an awesome display item if lights could be included etc.

Excellent work.

Chris
    Last edited by cking; Mar 5, 2013 at 12:13 PM.
  23. Member Since
    Jun 2009
    From
    Seattle, WA
    Mar 5, 2013, 12:09 PM - Re: Millenium Falcon parts for 3d Printing #73

cking said: View Post
    Another outstanding project!

I would LOVE to see these cockpits 3Dprinted at 1/18 scale so a "miniature" version of the full size cockpit set could be displayed with the Hasbro figures. I've always wanted a desktop display of just the cockpit with frame so you can pit it up and "look out of the window" and pretend you're sitting in the back.

I think it would be an awesome display item if lights could be included etc.

Excellent work.

Chris
    Absolutely! The great thing about digital models is they can be made at any scale - even full scale if you have the right equipment (see my above post about the full sized models we make of Boeing airplanes).

It been my general approach to build the models not assuming any particular manufacturing method and provide the most flexibility fro the end-creator; be it printing, machining, etc...

J.
    From
    Salem, Oregon
    Mar 5, 2013, 4:48 PM - Re: Millenium Falcon parts for 3d Printing #74

Well here is an example of the fruits of your labor. I downloaded the chairs, scaled them to my project scale, and they printed with no problems.

I downloaded the Console as well, however I tried scaling the main base, but the buttons didn't scale with it. Might want to double check to see if it's all joined.
  25. Member Since
    Jun 2009
    From
    Seattle, WA
    Mar 5, 2013, 5:00 PM - Re: Millenium Falcon parts for 3d Printing #75

Hey! That's awesome! What printer/process did you use? Looks like SLS maybe?

The console has a few disjoint parts still - mainly because I'm figuring out if I want to laser cut the the main surfaces and bond them to a printed base. This would allow me to etch all the pinstripes and trim rings into the laser'ed parts (aluminum painted black, then laser).

You should be able to boolean the parts together though using MeshLab or something.